Project Jem7 - What am I missing? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Project Jem7 - What am I missing?

I have had my eye on a Jem for a few years. I was never a big Vai fan, but that guitar seemed like the ULTIMATE guitar. My budget is around $1200 for this project and I think it seems pretty decent considering this guitar retails for almost $2500 here in Canada. I just need some direction in regards to exactly what hardware I need to replicate a Jem7VWH. I currently have a homemade Jem body on its way to me, and it looks like I'll be ordering a neck from ET guitars (depending on the wait time). I have never built/put together a guitar before and have never owned a guitar with a edge/floyd rose tremelo unit before so I'm new to this.

I have been looking over ibanezrules.com and from what I can tell, I need the following items:

Tuners
Lock Nut (thru)
Strap Pins
Edge Pro
Pickguard
Vol & Tone knob, Selector Tip
5 Way selector switch
Vol & Tone Pot
Bolt-on neck screws

What I am unsure about is what parts are needed to house the humbuckers and single coil? Beside the pickups themselves, what other parts do I need to install and mount them on the guitar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Project Jem7 - What am I missing?

You're going to need wiring, too! To mount pickups, you'll need the screws which come with the pups. They is sooooo much more to assebling a guitar than just attaching the parts. Shims may be needed for the neck pocket and under the locknut. You'll need to do a proper setup, so make sure to study Rich has on his site. In order to accuratly replicate a real Jem, just go to ibanez.com and look at the specs for the Jem you want to build.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks AlaskaBat!

I know that the Jem is more than the sum of its parts, but it's those extra little things that I wasn't sure about. I'm looking to replicate the Jem7VWH. I forgot to mention that I was buying pickups myself, so basically what else would I need besides that. I am planning on attempting the wiring myself.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned

truss rod cover, pickguard screws, neck screw ferrules, wire, barrel type output jack, string tree and screws. Then, unless the body is already finished--you'll need all the supplies for that job.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the body is not painted, at the time I bought it I wasn't sure exactly what Jem I wanted to replicate. This is something I plan on working on over the next several months. If I bought a replacement neck would the truss rod cover be included? And also if I bought the pickguard, would the screws be included? Thanks again for your help dude.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Banned

Pickguards rarely come with the screws. Truss rod covers sometimes come with necks. If you're buying from ET, just ask Earnie if he can throw in a cover. When you're ready to paint the body, shoot me an email and I'll send you that DIY painting e-book that I've mentioned in another thread.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again man, really appreciated. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Banned

If you need any other info, just reach me at:
[email protected]

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

How tedious of a process is changing a neck cavity from 56mm to 58mm, to fit a larger neck? Is it guess and check until it fits?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 PM

Fleabay is great for finding parts. I'd say 70 to 80% of parts for my Jem build were bought thru dealers on that site. Some parts I even bought second-hand to save money, but made darn sure they were in excellent condition before buying.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Vendor

Used parts on e-bay are either more than new parts, or so little less I never saw the point. Unless you don't mind putting Korean and Indo parts on your project, because that's what the majority of the parts there are.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

The reason Im asking is because the Jem body I have on order fits a 56, but I can snag an authentic Jem neck, but its a 58 heel.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Vendor

You know you can just ask these questions direct. I reply to your email and then you post a thread here to ask a question about it
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

This makes things way easier Rich! hahaha. I didn't know you posted on here, only joined the other day.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Where I'm from there are not many knowledgeable people to ask these sorts of questions. So I have to ask people on the internet about it to get some kind of consensus. I am a total NOOB at guitar building, and on a limited budget so I don't want to mess up the body! I'll know more once that body I ordered gets here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode