As promised. My JEM. Now for some advice. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
As promised. My JEM. Now for some advice.

Hi all, happy holidays!

Here is a picture of my first and so far only JEM. It's a JEM7V if I'm not mistaken. As you can see by the pics It has a nasty ding in the body (Lower left) It looks like something bounced across it. As you have no doubt guessed I am the second owner. My question is, how hard is that going to be to fix? From what I have been told, trying to match the color is going to be damn near impossible. Is that true? Suggestions are very welcome.

Peace and joy to all!

-B

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 08:55 PM

Re: As promised. My JEM. Now for some advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz View Post
trying to match the color is going to be damn near impossible. Is that true?
If that's true, I'd still fix it.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 09:36 PM

what is the middle knob for?
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 01:47 AM

Reviews: 2

Hi again Pezz, Congrats on the VWH!!!! I'm glad to see you found a Jem that you like (and I hope for a good price too) She really is pretty, but you DO have a thing for fixer-uppers don't you.....lol. Honestly, I wouldn't even worry about the dent...... It looks like a battle scar on a really HOT CHICK!! I kinda dig it. If you can't live with it though, doing the repairs won't be too bad. Any quality body shop in your area can match the paint to near perfection, and they'll probably spray it for a decent price too. You can repair the dent yourself pretty easily, it would'nt take you any more that 2-3 hours on a lazy afternoon.

Ryc
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsquared View Post
what is the middle knob for?
looks like the previous owner added a volume control for the neck pickup.... I kinda like how it looks, but it would be better if you could find smaller knobs (if they even exist??)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:09 PM

Reviews: 7

I would not repair this because :

-The repair could go wrong and come out ugly.
-The guitar will eventually have other dings here and there if you play it regularly, and I've learned that playing a guitar and keeping it mint are not compatible. Don't bother unless it's only part of a collection.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 10:23 PM

Reviews: 25

LEAVE IT ALONE
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice! I really would like to fix it as I am pretty anal about my guitars, especially and nice higher end ones like this. I paid a thousand for it, which looking at local prices and the bay I felt it was not overly excessive. I was waiting for someone to mention the third knob lol! The young man I purchased it from is the original owner and he has a thing for Les Pauls so he had it re-wired at the local guitar shop to behave a like a Paul, the middle pickup has been dropped flush with pick guard and has been bypassed. I have ordered a new pick guard, and the same tech who re-wired it will be un-pauling it! I like the mid pick up.

I need to find a good repair shop for body dings. So far the folks I have shown the ding to said you can't fix it. I don't think that's right. I am very good at painting (airbrushing, I paint details on Harley Davidson bikes) I just don't know dill about repairing wood!

On a second note, I hope everyone had a great holiday! I know I did, my loving wife has gotten me a gift card to one of the online guitar stores, so here is another question to muddy the waters of my 12th post! I have enough to purchase a JEM505. From the very quick look I have done it looks like it is made in Korea? How does it compare to the 7VWH? Fretboard wise etc. Should I not waste my time with it? I have more than enough to get that or purchase a higher end JS series like a JS1200. I was going to take a ride down to the local Guitar center to test drive these two and see how they feel.

Thoughts? Again thanks for the opinions so far.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 AM

Leave it. Paint repairs are for anal people.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
Leave it. Paint repairs are for anal people.
As mentioned above, I'm guilty of being ANAL!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Reviews: 7

The hardest part is getting the color right. Then you have to fill the ding with wood paste, even it out with sand paper, paint, sand paper again then clear coat it (I simplified the process just wanted to give you an idea of how it's done). Of course it's easier said than done, anyways good luck to you.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Jones View Post
The hardest part is getting the color right. Then you have to fill the ding with wood paste, even it out with sand paper, paint, sand paper again then clear coat it (I simplified the process just wanted to give you an idea of how it's done). Of course it's easier said than done, anyways good luck to you.
Sorry, I have to disagree. When working with a solid color body, repairs are quite simple to perform even for the novice!! And believe me, If pezz can attain professional results on a motorcycle (motorcycles have NO flat panels...EVERYTHING has a radius on it) he will easily be able to repair his guitar (although I truly wish you wouldn't Pezz)

As far as finding paint, take the body as-is to your favorite automotive paint supplier and have them scan your guitar. The scanner will come up with a formula to match your paint to near perfection. You will NOT be able to tell the difference in ANY light...ever. Once you have the formula, you probably want to order that color in lacquer although I've had MUCH better results with enamels ("flex-add" in the mix).

If you were to go this route Pezz, you would pull off the coup of 2010. A beautiful VWH for a grand that you made perfect with your own two hands. That to me would be the "Holy Grail"
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz View Post

Thoughts? Again thanks for the opinions so far.
I would hold on to it until after all of the 2011 models are released @ namm.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree. When working with a solid color body, repairs are quite simple to perform even for the novice!! And believe me, If pezz can attain professional results on a motorcycle (motorcycles have NO flat panels...EVERYTHING has a radius on it) he will easily be able to repair his guitar (although I truly wish you wouldn't Pezz)

As far as finding paint, take the body as-is to your favorite automotive paint supplier and have them scan your guitar. The scanner will come up with a formula to match your paint to near perfection. You will NOT be able to tell the difference in ANY light...ever. Once you have the formula, you probably want to order that color in lacquer although I've had MUCH better results with enamels ("flex-add" in the mix).

If you were to go this route Pezz, you would pull off the coup of 2010. A beautiful VWH for a grand that you made perfect with your own two hands. That to me would be the "Holy Grail"
Excellent! Why do you wish I would not? I'm not so eager to fix the chip in the horn, or the nick in the headstock, but the ding in the body drives me nuts every time I open the case. What type of filler do you use to fill it in? Since the dings are small I would assume that there would be no impact to the sound? I had figured it would be an easy case of paint matching and tape off the area and feather it much like auto body guys do when matching new paint to existing paint on panels.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I would hold on to it until after all of the 2011 models are released @ namm.
Thanks! I had not even thought about that.

Tags
jem7v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

pics of ff7 advent children motorcycles

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode