Protecting Ibanez/JEM headstock transfers - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Protecting Ibanez/JEM headstock transfers

has anyone out there in Jemsite land get any good methods for protecting the logo on the JEM headstock as we all know it is stuck on over the lacquer. i don't want to ruin the look of my insturment and would really appreciate some feedback on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Dee

Re: Protecting Ibanez/JEM headstock transfers

I'd get a pro to add a coat of clear to it, personally. Shouldn't cost much, you won't be able to tell any difference and it'll be protected well.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

thanx. i phoned a local guitar shop and they suggested i use clear automobile lacquer, AS IF I'M GONNA DO ANYTHING TO MY OWN JEM!!!! anyway a friend of mine knows Scott Gorhams (Thin Lizzy) guitar tech so i might ask for his advice too.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Dee

Yeah, good idea. I wouldn't do it myself either, especially out of a spray can. A car body painting shop would maybe do it for you. It'd be a very quick job for them and I think if you asked nicely they'd do it. Alternatively you could post your neck to somewhere like Sims Custom Shop and they'd do the work for you. Sims link banner is at the top of the site.

EDIT: Oh, hang on, I just realized you also in the UK. You could send it to the UK Sims Custom Shop. I have a contact email address because I was also recently asking for some work. Contact Martin Sims here: [email protected]
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster
thanx. i phoned a local guitar shop and they suggested i use clear automobile lacquer, AS IF I'M GONNA DO ANYTHING TO MY OWN JEM!!!! anyway a friend of mine knows Scott Gorhams (Thin Lizzy) guitar tech so i might ask for his advice too.
Hiya

Are you the guy that phoned me up today enquiring about the logo?

Max
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 02:38 PM

LOL small world
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Wink Re: Protecting Ibanez/JEM headstock transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking
Hiya

Are you the guy that phoned me up today enquiring about the logo?

Max
i refuse to answer any questions without the advice from solicitors or interested third parties.

seriously though i just want to protect my investment. i'm also the guy that phoned you about a new jem style neck on my kramer

Last edited by nikster; 07-13-2006 at 03:09 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster
i refuse to answer any questions without the advice from solicitors or interested third parties.

seriously though i just want to protect my investment. i'm also the guy that phoned you about a new jem style neck on my kramer
Hiya Nikster

My experience and advice are very generously given for free by calling me personally on my mobile. And i don't expect to be mis-quoted on Jemsite when you haven't listened properly to my advice.

Which was :

1) Don't bother - if you're going to beat your guitar up that badly, then whether the logo gets scuffed is neither here nor there. The ibanez screen printed logo's are very durable....

2) If you insist have it clear coated. I suggested a quick easy way of doing this yourself by using off the shelf car paint (cellulose), or go to somewhere that will spray 2 pack for you....

So...... fellow Jemsiters, and UK ones in particular, please feel free to call me for advice etc, but don't go whingin' on Jemsite or elsewhere when i've given you my opinion and it wasn't what you wanted to hear......

I provide a very good service to Ibanez fans the world over, my E**y feedback shows this along with the many others i deal with away from E**y. Theres plenty of guys probably reading this who i have sold to, given advice to etc who will back me up here???

Night night folks - i'm post gig tired and want to go to bed.........

Max

Last edited by ibanezking; 07-14-2006 at 04:05 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 11:27 PM

I suggest not worrying about it and just properly taking care of the guitar.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Agreed..They are quite durable.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Protecting Ibanez/JEM headstock transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
i'll just treat my kramer with complete disrespect and look after my jem!!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking
Hiya Nikster

So...... fellow Jemsiters, and UK ones in particular, please feel free to call me for advice etc, but don't go whingin' on Jemsite or elsewhere when i've given you my opinion and it wasn't what you wanted to hear......
I don't really see where he whined. He said you told him to add some clearcoat to it. Then he just stated that it's not something he would ever think about doing himself. How is that whining? And he didn't even mention you in the first place, he said called a shop near him. Your the one that linked that shop to yourself. Your creating a bad image for yourself with your whole "My advice is golden. If you don't agree 100%, you better not complain on any message boards or else."
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Protecting Ibanez/JEM headstock transfers

i've sent the guy a private apology. so let's leave it and go to somethign else....(check out the guy's previous work on the COTTAM GUITARS banner at top of page,FREE RECOMMENDATION BY NIKSTER!!!)

how do i protect the back of my guitar from scratches from my belt buckle. (ONLY KIDDING i hav ordered some of that laminate stuff!!!)

how i love exclamation marks!!!!!!

www.guitararmor.com
www.guitarshield.com

these two sites should be what your looking for. i've ordred some for the back of my jem. DOH!!! why dont i just order some more for the headstock? i would hav done links but i've only been on the net about a month or so.

Last edited by nikster; 07-14-2006 at 01:22 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

guitararmor site doesn't respond form my (UK) end.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 01:30 PM

The cheapest way to protect your guitar from belt rash is......

Take your belt off, er HELLO!! McFly , ....Hello !!

LOL!

Ben

Tags
clear coat , cottam guitars , custom shop , guitar shop , guitar tech , local guitar shop , martin sims , sims custom , sims custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode