PRS Swamp Ash Special vs JEM7VWH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PRS Swamp Ash Special vs JEM7VWH

I'm torn....

Anyone here own a PRS SAS? Or both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:00 PM

Re: PRS Swamp Ash Special vs JEM7VWH

They seem like different beasts to me.
I've owned a Prs Custom and a Jem 7vwh.Looks wise the Prs is obviously a classier guitar and you can really feel the quality,although I prefered my Gibbo LP's soundwise to the Prs.
The Jem's a Jem but in my opinion is one of the nastiest looking jems out there.....
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdubious View Post
They seem like different beasts to me.
I agree completely, it's horses for courses on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdubious View Post
I've owned a Prs Custom and a Jem 7vwh.Looks wise the Prs is obviously a classier guitar
LOL - No.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:44 PM

I own both. Out of the two, I prefer my jem. IMO it's easier to play, looks better and it's more versatile than the SAS. Saying that though, the PRS is still a damn nice guitar and I have no intentions of selling mine anytime soon. Like the others have said, they are totally different guitars. I'd definately try both out first to see which suits you best
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:59 PM

They are more complimentary than vying for the same spot in your arsenal. Play them both and decide which one you'd use more often. There's no loser here, though.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:29 PM

Having just recently had the chance to play a PRS - not a SAS might I had - I'd go with the PRS over a Jem

As the other poster said they are different beasts completely but I'f I was lucky enough to *have* to choose between the two I'd take the PRS

They are pure class
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM

I've also owned one of each.
The Swamp Ash PRS models are not the top offering and if I remember correctly the only upgrade offered is a flame maple neck- like mine.

Let's equate them to cars....

The PRS is a nice family 4-door sedan, while the Jem is a Corvette.

If performance is what you want, there is really only one answer.

-jemaholic
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
I've also owned one of each.
Fantastic! Would you really give the VWH the edge quality-wise though? It's a 2004 model...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Does anyone own PRS standard satin (not 10 top)? I am thinking to get one but afraid of finish might go away quickly.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Grrrrr... thread hijacking...

I honestly think that PRS would have more business sense than to release a £2000 guitar where the finish 'goes away quickly'.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:42 PM

I own a Jem7vwh and a PRS CU-22. While the CU22 is not a Swamp Ash Special, it is still a PRS and so I hope you will consider my opinion valid.

They are VERY different guitars and they do very different things well. The PRS is different in terms of feel. Where tone is concerned they are both modern sounding guitars but the Jem can get a little nastier. I have played the Swamp Ash PRS and it it a guitar that attempts to cover a lot of tonal ground - especially the single coil stuff that guitars like the one I own (CU22) don't really do very well. I think the Jem can deliver a passable single coil type tone as well.

I really think the biggest difference is in feel. The Jem has a very thin/fast neck and 24 frets and an edge trem. The PRS (that I have) has a fat neck, 22 frets, stoptail, and a bigger body.

If I could only keep one of them it would be the PRS - but that guitar was ordered to my specs (20th anniversary birds, orange color, artist package with a crazy flame top and it has a braz fretboard.) The Jem that I own was set up by Rich and so it can certainly hang with the best in terms of playabilty - but it would be an easy guitar to replace down the road.

I'm keeping them both!!

Good luck and try to play both of them before you buy.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:47 PM

Neither...but if I had to choose, it'd be the PRS.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
Fantastic! Would you really give the VWH the edge quality-wise though? It's a 2004 model...

I own a 2004 VWH and it's a well built, solid guitar and i have no issues with it at all. That being said, i've played a several PRS guitars (all above the 300,000 yen mark) and they are of far higher quality finish wise.
J-Customs come a lot closer to PRS's than Jems in terms of quality in my opinion. If it's an isue with you I'd consider one instead of the Jem.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for your opinions, guys!

If it were a straight-up PRS CU 22 or 24, the choice would be easy. However, I have heard lots about the SASs not quite being up to the standard of the Customs.

I am currently leaning towards the JEM, as the SAS doesn't give me anything I don't already 'have', whereas, given the guitar I would be selling (S1520FB) to purchase either, the JEM would add a Floyd-equipped shred machine to my arsenal.

I just happen to have come across a rather bargainous SAS and a couple of within-budget JEMs, which is where the indecision kicks in!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:52 AM

If you can afford upper market PRS then buy PRS otherwise JEM.

Tags
edge trem , flame maple , flame maple neck , maple neck , prs guitar , prs guitars , shred machine , sounding guitar , swamp ash , swamp ash special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode