Ibanez JEM Forum banner

purple swirl jem

Tags
pmc swirl
11K views 86 replies 29 participants last post by  Verus 
#1 ·
Thought I would post a sneaky picture of a swirl Im doing at the moment, I very rarely get to do these swirls now due to work commitments :( shame as I enjoy doing them.
Not sure what to call this, if it was green and black it would be a 'GMC' but I cant call it PMC as we all know PMC has about 5 different colours in it. Any suggestions for a name???

At the moment this guitar looks alot different to the picture as it has had about 5 coats of clear on it and was flatted down the other day ready for its final coat. more pictures coming soon.

See less See more
#26 ·
i think the logo is a hard call - its great that it stands out. IMO some things should be subtle and others should be very clear. however its the only white part on the guitar, so doesnt tie in to anything. :S

i dont think it looks bad at all, and afterall, its jonnyboy mills' guitar not ours! ;)

overall i think its a stunning guitar though! :D

#27 ·
The guitar was "swirled" by Jonny-Boy

However it belongs, to a customer of mine................. and as previously stated on the other thread

Customer Spec........... He Specced it as a white logo............. so its CORRECT!

When you or anyone else puts there money where there mouth is and orders their own swirl............ then the logo colour choice will be YOURS!!

#31 ·
I was out all day and just got back home; it was SCARY out there. This is still counterfeiting. You're not in any "gray area" here. You're taking orders for, building, and selling fakes with a guitar company's copyrighted logo printed clearly on the headstock.

It doesn't have to be an EXACT clone to be illegal. I'm not color (colour, lol) blind, it's not an exact replica of a production guitar, and that's obvious to a JEM enthusiast. But that doesn't matter. For all intents and purposes, this is an Ibanez JEM. Any bloke at a guitar store is going to identify it as such.

I have an aftermarket swirl, I built it out of an OOTS body and an Ibanez JEM neck. The difference is I didn't place an order with an Ibanez dealer for them to build and sell me a counterfeit Ibanez guitar. Ibanez has thus far ignored the custom neck and body makers, I doubt they'd be as forgiving to one of their dealers selling complete guitars. Coming from a law student's perspective, I think it would be in your best interest - at the very least - to not be advertising the counterfeits you're building and selling. But you don't have to take my word for it, I encourage you to ask your attorney.

#33 ·
I was out all day and just got back home; it was SCARY out there. This is still counterfeiting. You're not in any "gray area" here. You're taking orders for, building, and selling fakes with a guitar company's copyrighted logo printed clearly on the headstock.

It doesn't have to be an EXACT clone to be illegal. I'm not color (colour, lol) blind, it's not an exact replica of a production guitar, and that's obvious to a JEM enthusiast. But that doesn't matter. For all intents and purposes, this is an Ibanez JEM. Any bloke at a guitar store is going to identify it as such.
I'm glad you got home ok dcord ;)

You're right though, the use of the logo and headstock shape is definitely an infringement, there is no gray area on this. The only gray area is Ibanez's response.

What I find interesting though is that if a guy like me buys one of these custom guitars and is seen playing it (well) in an Ibanez dealership by a few 12 year old kids, I reckon it'd be free advertising for Ibanez. It's practically one step away from an "artist only custom" and as long as the true origin isn't disclosed, that might just be enough for Ibanez to leave well alone on these!

#47 ·
Thanks to everyone who left kind comments about my paint work. I actually had the purple matched to the colour of the vine in the neck, I go that extra mile for Max because he is a darn decent fella. :)
it was me who stuck the decal on the neck, under the orders of the customer..........I...I...I... I was only obeying orders.......... I know that didnt go down to well at the Neurenburg trials in 1946 but its the best I can do. :) maybe if I say sorry I may only get 20 years , like Albert Speer.
joking apart Max is not selling fake guitars there is no 'selling' they are sold before they are even built as they are custom orders.
This is all I have to say on this matter. Enjoy the thread.

#50 ·
joking apart Max is not selling fake guitars there is no 'selling' they are sold before they are even built as they are custom orders.
Of course I was replying to a specific statement. This is the act of selling.

But if you'd like to continue. Of course this is a commercial post to drum up more sales. So as you say "I only do 6 a year, I'm no big deal", you know full well you'd like nothing more than to do 100 a year if you could sell that many.

#48 ·
Anybody under the delusion these 2 threads weren't posted here to drum up more sales of these? There is no other point to these. It's not like the "buyers" are posting these threads.

BTW, love the purple swirl, hate the other one, though who cares at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.