Putting a fixed bridge on a JEM - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Putting a fixed bridge on a JEM

I know this may sound like a crime to some people around here but I plan to put a fixed bridge on a JEM instead of the manufactory tremolo. Beyond the aesthetic aspect, I'm wondering if you guys would see some danger, problem or possible damage for the guitar. I would of course have this done by an experencied luthier. Thanks for your help and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 10:48 AM

Why not just block the trem?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 11:47 AM

Re: Putting a fixed bridge on a JEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEAPSON
I know this may sound like a crime to some people around here but I plan to put a fixed bridge on a JEM instead of the manufactory tremolo. Beyond the aesthetic aspect, I'm wondering if you guys would see some danger, problem or possible damage for the guitar. I would of course have this done by an experencied luthier. Thanks for your help and opinions.
Buying a new body with a monkey grip cut in in and having it painted will cost you about the same if not a little less than converting a floating bridge guitar to a hardtail bridge. It is way more work than you can imagine making blocks to fit in all the existing routes, making them flush, and then refinishing the body. There are a couple places making replica Jem bodies that you could contact, EKG being the one listed on this site, I can do the finish on it, and then you have a proper fixed bridge body in the end, not a bastardized version of something. And, beyond that, you can probably sell the original Jem body for a good portion of what the new one will cost if you dont' want it.
Just my opinion.
Jeremy
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 06:10 PM

Or buy an RG body, have it converted to fixed bridge by some star like Brian Calvert (www.projectguitar.com) and then put on all the Jem bits you had before:

Maybe like this:

More pics here on the www.cereal--killer.com website
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 06:12 PM

that thing a beaut Si!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEAPSON
Buying a new body with a monkey grip cut in in and having it painted will cost you about the same if not a little less than converting a floating bridge guitar to a hardtail bridge. It is way more work than you can imagine making blocks to fit in all the existing routes, making them flush, and then refinishing the body. There are a couple places making replica Jem bodies that you could contact, EKG being the one listed on this site, I can do the finish on it, and then you have a proper fixed bridge body in the end, not a bastardized version of something. And, beyond that, you can probably sell the original Jem body for a good portion of what the new one will cost if you dont' want it.
Just my opinion.
Jeremy
but if he were to do this, then it wouldn't really be the same guitar anymore.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madness Here
but if he were to do this, then it wouldn't really be the same guitar anymore.
Nor would it be if he filled up all the cavities, refinished it and put in a fixed bridge. The advantage of going the custom-body route is you can always migrate the neck, hardware and electronics back to the old body if you want to restore the guitar to its stock condition.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 07:06 PM

but it retains more of its original "guitarness" than if the whole body where replaced
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madness Here
but it retains more of its original "guitarness" than if the whole body where replaced
I disagree, it wastes the original body completely. Besides, he obviously wants to have it be a custom guitar anyway.

Simon,
Thats all fine and good, but I can see the lines in your pictures where the block was put in, to me that is unacceptable, as time goes by, due to the nature of wood, it will get worse as well, there is a method that you can use that will not show over time, but by the time you do all of that you could have a fixed bridge body built for the same money.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 07:25 PM

Cost for the work was $0

The only costs were for the $25 RG body and shipping.

If you dont like the work then talk to Brian Calvert about it. I am probably going to put a veneer over it anyway so the 'unacceptable' bit will disappear!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 07:30 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
a replacement body makes the most sense to me, keeping the original intact (better resale and perhaps you might change your mind oneday) ...glen
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk
Cost for the work was $0

The only costs were for the $25 RG body and shipping.

If you dont like the work then talk to Brian Calvert about it. I am probably going to put a veneer over it anyway so the 'unacceptable' bit will disappear!
Right, for you it was $0, so Brian could do the tutorial, that's not going to be an option for this guy, he's going to have to find somebody who will do the work for $$$.
Liking or not liking the work has nothing to do with my post either, I'm just stating a fact that if you want a perfect finish guitar body, filling in cavity routes is not a viable option.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk
Or buy an RG body, have it converted to fixed bridge by some star like Brian Calvert (www.projectguitar.com) and then put on all the Jem bits you had before:
if youre gonna get a replacement body, why not get a fixed bridge one?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 12:14 AM

Again, i ask: Why not just block the trem?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Again, i ask: Why not just block the trem?
Indeed!! Keep it simple.

Tags
brian calvert , custom guitar , darren wilson , fixed bridge , guitar body , hardtail bridge , monkey grip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode