Quality of woods - Jems vs Prestige RG's - Basswood vs Mahog - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quality of woods - Jems vs Prestige RG's - Basswood vs Mahog

I was wondering if basswood is an overall cheaper wood than mahogany is? *I know that the vast majority of Jems are basswood bodies, and the RG Prestige models are mahogany. *I know mahogany has more of a full bodied, slightly thicker tone character, but how does basswood differ tone wise?? *If Mahogany is indeed a higher quality wood, I wonder why they did not use it in any of the Jems.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 02:26 PM
Vendor

Quality of woods - Jems vs Prestige RG's

Your answer is very simple, Ibanez does not pick the wood used in signature models, the ARTIST does.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 02:31 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Guitarlos2 on 2:23 pm on Jan. 20, 2002
*If Mahogany is indeed a higher quality wood, I wonder why they did not use it in any of the Jems.......
The reason, like Rich said, is that STEVE VAI wanted basswood (now he seems to like Alder).

PERIOD ...glen
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 04:42 PM

There was no price consideration with Steve's choice of basswood. *It was simply the fact that basswood sounds very "thick", like mahogany, but is lighter (thus making stage shows easier). *I mean, c'mon, imagine the heart guitar built out of mahogany. *:shudder: *
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

lol, you have a point there two hands. *But still though, im just curious (for informations sake) *is basswood a lower cost wood in comparison? *In other words, IF steve were to have chosen mahogany, would the Jems be slightly even more expensive than they are now...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 05:26 PM

This question can be easily answered by looking at two guitars that are made of each, and then comparing the price. *The RG520QS (Mahogany w/Quilt Sapele top) lists $100 more than the RG520GP(Basswood) and the RG520QS lists $80 more than the RG570 & 550 which are both basswood with an extra pickup.

Maybe the figures above would prove that the price for Mahogany is more, but because of the Sapele top (which is more like a veneer), it might not be the Mahogany at all.

The S series 540's list at about $1399 vs an RG's $799-900, and they are all Mahogany, but without all of the mass of the RG body style, and the extra two frets.

Another thing to consider is the quality or grade of the wood being used.

I agree that it is Vai's choice of wood because it is his guitar and hence it is his preference in tone and weight. *

I personally prefer Mahogany, and weight is over little or no importance to me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 06:19 PM

(in most cases) Basswood cheaper than mahogany, mahogany cheaper than alder.

It's indeed all about figures and grades, but not for the choice of basswood vs mahogany vs alder.
Grades (3A, 4A, 5A,...) are taken into account when chosing between quilted maple, western flamed, eastern flamed, birdseye maple, Koa, Korina, cherry,...

I also prefer mahogany, although a little bit heavier than basswood.
I really like the sound of that tonewood, and besides, it's not that heavy.

cheers,
Joten
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Two hands31 on 4:42 pm on Jan. 20, 2002
There was no price consideration with Steve's choice of basswood. *It was simply the fact that basswood sounds very "thick", like mahogany, but is lighter
I just want to make it clear too (and I know most everyone knows this)- just because mahogany is more expensive than basswood, it is by no means "better". A couple things make it more expensive- availability and workability being 2 of them.
And I can't stand mahogany guitars anymore. Has a PRS and played a lot of 'Pauls- way too muddy for me. Lot's of chunk and thickness, but too muddy and not resonant enough for me.
I have liked guitars made of basswood, swamp ash, and alder, though.

-Ben

Tags
art guitar , basswood bodies , mahogany guitars , quilted maple , steve vai , swamp ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode