Quesiton about JS-100 guitars? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quesiton about JS-100 guitars?

I had my heart se on a js 1000, however even though I have the money, my mom wont let me spend that much. I can convice her to let me get a js100 though.

I am aware the trem sint as good as the lopro, and the pickups arent as good. I can down the road scrap money to change pickups [possibly put satch ones in there.

Is it possible to put a lo pro edge trem in this guitar easily? I found them on ed roman for cheap [158 I think].

What are the differences betweent he js1000 and the js100 other than the trem and pups? I saw fretwire was a different type. Does that make a big difference? What else is different? Will it be close to a js100 with these 2 mods. Is the quality control good? Are the frets even and stuff? Thanks a bunch guys.

steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:20 PM

This topic has been covered repeatedly in older posts and this thread is libal to be closed very quivkly so ill be quick, save yourself the money on upgrading and try and find yourself a second hand JS1 or JS1000, these usually go for around 500 and have the edge trem and dimarzio pickups already installed... I bought the JS100TR and although I love the colour of it and i will now never get rid of it, i have come to terms with the fact that its gonna cost a packet to repace all of the old hardware and that i should have bought a used JS1 or JS1000...

with regard to fitting the lo-pro, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt...

Bottom line: hang on awhile and get a better model second hand...
KeV
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

the thing is that I can get a used js1000 for 750, but my mom wont let me spend that much. I can "sneak" money slowly for a trem and pickups to upgrade a js100 a lot easier. I was wondering if I did that, regardless of ultimate price, howe the playing effects would be. Thanks.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:42 PM

Hmm, playing wise, I shouldnt imagine that it is too different, I mean, apart from the digitised fret board on the 1000's there isnt much difference, wood wise the 1's and 1000's are supposedly better but I would have said that that would be negligable.... I would honestly really try and bring your mum round to the idea, just tell her, If you buy the quality guitar now, there'll be no need to fix it when the cheaper one f*cks up later...

give that a try

KeV
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 09:52 PM

Here I go again...

Look for an old used radius R540. You can usually get one for $400 used and you'll be at 90% of a JS1000 (IMO).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 10:18 PM

i second on the R540. i love those things. i had one at one point in s/s/h. i'd love to have had a h/h one, but i love a 5 way(especially the special and spilt 5 from ibanez). if you can't find one with a lo-pro, the edge will still be better than the lo-trs. plus you can always swap trems later(exception-the one i had had a shallow route for the edge so i couldn't swap cuz the lo pro sits alot lower into the cavity. no worries, tho, it ended up in a S540. ) i personally like the ultra necks on the R540s better than i like the JS, although the JS is a very nice neck...i just don't like "modern vintage" as much as shredder necks. i also prefer the switch position on the R540. if your best shot as far as mom is concerned to get a "cheaper" axe, the modded R540 would be a better shot.

rich
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 11:58 PM

I agree - overall, if someone were to GIVE me my choice of a JS1000 or an R540 (and stipulate that I couldn't sell it), I'd take the Radius. I also prefer the ultra profile neck, H-S-S config (and those IBZUSA pups are NICE), and even the standard Edge.

Tags
dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , edge trem , fret board , pro edge , pro edge trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode