Question about JS-1200 edge pro - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Question about JS-1200 edge pro

Hello riffers, I have just ventured off from Jems for a change in the Ibby models. And I have a very anal issue, This guitar is absolutely brand new opened the box myself, from very trusted dealer. Under the saddles on the edge pro on all the strings but big E and little E have a clear plastic or rubbery looking shims or something. I have had at least 7 prestige,Jem etc that were edge pro trems and never seen this. Is this something exclusive to Js-1200 ? Or is it Ibanez just being lazy and not adjusting trem ht? or is it the contour of the neck is round like a strat and has to have this shimming? No big deal but seems this might ever so slightly kill some sustain as it is right under where saddle screw mounts saddle. Any way the guitar plays and sounds sooo good, and was actually set up very close to my very picky taste. Just a slight trem angle adjustment and intonation as so far ao good. I do however have a desire to trade to another very near new Black pearl JS-1000 as this wasnt available at my dealer locally, Yes I know I would be giving up the moe jo pickup or is it the fred whatever the 1200 has the 1000 dont. But man can change that easy . Well unuff babbling some JS expert just simply let me know if this is normal shimming or something else. I might just get some steel shims and machine them. Thanks for your expertise if ya wanna know anything bout a jem I will repay the favor.AKJC1977
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:43 AM

Re: Question about JS-1200 edge pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJC1977 View Post
...or is it the contour of the neck is round like a strat and has to have this shimming?
that's it. the smaller the fretboard radius, the more radiused the saddles must be.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:57 PM

I recently acquired a black pearl js1000 and had the same question about the shims. At first glance, it looked like something that the previous owner had done, since I hadn't seen any shims on other edge pros either. I did some reading on Ibanezrules.com and found that, indeed, it was done at the factory to match the fretboard radius. Nice to know that it wasn't some slipshod adjusting, but they could have at least made the shims match the color of the trem - cosmo, in my case.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks and good to know, I am gonna get the dial calipers and measure to the ten thousandth and make some outta metal if I keep the guitar. I feel that would be better for the sustain.akjc1977

Tags
edge pro , js-1200

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode