A Question about the JEM model - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

A Question about the JEM model

I was just very curious. I am not really interested in a JEM, althought they play awesome, I am still a Universe guy.

My question is this:help: :

Aside from a cosmetic point of view, what is the purpose of the monkey grip?

Does the fact that there is a great big hole there not "take away" from the tone?

I just don't get it:idunno:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 02:52 PM

Hi,

* I think it doesn't serve any special purpose...I know Steve Vai put it there so he could have a better way of holding his guitar to make all kinds of theatric moves during his show..Most notably holding it in the air and spin with it....

*It might take a bit of the tone out since it removes some wood from the body..but I am not sure it does a big difference... Also they could make the body just a fraction of an inch thicker to compensate the loss of wood...

my 0.02$..

Hugues

(Edited by armadillo at 2:54 pm on May 29, 2001)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 05:06 PM

I have found that it really practical with a handle. I always use it when taking it from the stand or the case.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 07:48 PM

It's mostly used for staring down at your audience with some really enchanting yet dangerous gaze as you pour out super accurately fast legato licks!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 07:58 PM

Despagni once told me that other than the aesthetics (its primary purpose), the monkey grip is a better way to pick up the guitar, rather then by the neck. *So SalemB has the right idea.

Grabbing your guitar by the neck isn't so good for the wood over time - it twists and goes out faster (so he says).

My habit is to grab a guitar at the neck joint or by the upper horn. *It's nice to have the handle though

~Kenny
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Quote: from kennydoe on 7:58 pm on May 29, 2001
Despagni once told me..........Grabbing your guitar by the neck isn't so good for the wood over time - it twists and goes out faster (so he says).

My habit is to grab a guitar at the neck joint or by the upper horn. *It's nice to have the handle though

~Kenny
I won't dispute the idea that OVER time (Read: A Billion Years!!!!) grabbing the neck will twist it, but I can think of a few things that would be worse for the neck than picking it up by it. Pfffft!!!

As for the handle or the claw, pure eye candy that have become functional. I like it!

J>

Tags
monkey grip , neck joint , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode