A question for all you JEM owners - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

A question for all you JEM owners

I was wondering, just for sake of conversation. When you got your first JEM, did it at all change the way you played the guitar in general? Did any one JEM (for those who have 10 of them...bastards :P) inspire you differently than others? I personally think it would push me to become a better gutarist because I feel like if I'm gonna have a guitar like that, I'd better be able to play it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:19 PM

Re: A question for all you JEM owners

Yeah, not much to say other than they're a joy to play and when you couple that with the stigma of the Jem being a God-like guitar to have, it makes you want to practice so you can both deserve and enjoy it better.

It certainly put a fire under my arse to learn more!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249
It certainly put a fire under my arse to learn more!
Me as well. I was totally inspired to play / practice more and get better after getting my first Jem (2000 vwh). Plus Jem's play soooo good it makes it easier to get better.

One problem though......once you get a Jem you WILL aquire a serious incurable case of G.A.S.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 06:38 PM

What I found was that the Jem fit what I was looking for in a guitar right at that time... and I was initiated with a test-drive of a LNG.
I purchased a Jem77FP in '88 and I'm sure my playing changed a certain amount to go along with the guitar, but for the most part, it was more a matter of it allowing me to do what I was trying to do better than I'd been able to previously.
Make sense? =]
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:56 PM

++++1

The jem has really motivated and inspired me to play much much more. And also improve my playing as well. Don't let them fool you into thinking it's just going to give you "Vai" tone, it can do that and so much more!

If you're going to get one, just go ahead and do it man. Don't worry about your current ability, it will all come with time, and the magic influence of the Jem.

If I wear a pair of Air jordans, does it mean I play ball like him?

Which jem do you have your sights on?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 10:32 PM

haha... i must imagine... just saving up for one is making me practice a lot more in preperation for the big day
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 10:38 PM

Better think about what you're gonna play at the guitar store
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Well, my first question is: What is G.A.S.? I haven't been here frequently enough in the past to 'get it'

The one I'm looking at is a 7VWH in a pawnshop. But the intention of my original post was not to get advice, but just to see how having a JEM affected others' playing, if at all. Like I said, just for sake of conversation Carry on then!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:15 AM

I was crap before I had my first Jem, I am still crap now I have my third Jem
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Skot
Well, my first question is: What is G.A.S.? I haven't been here frequently enough in the past to 'get it'
G.A.S. is Gear Acquisition Syndrome : A condition suffered by most guitarists causing one to lust with an insatiable appetite for GEAR and MORE GEAR!

I've been a long time member.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 01:11 AM

I got a Jem VSBL about a year ago. The two electrics I had been playing for 10-15 years were basswood and ash so the alder body of the Jem gave me something to learn as far as my picking technique goes with a very bright wood. Other than that, the only thing I really had to learn was bending on non-jumbo frets.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris From Singapore.
Better think about what you're gonna play at the guitar store
i have been playing 20 years and i still to this day hardly play in stores, i find i dont need to know what it sounds like played through their amps and as long as it feels good i dont need to plug it in , the only reason it gets plugged in is to check all the electronics are ok . people make to much out of playing in stores and there are way to many time wasters that just want to sit and pose. when i got my last guitar the dude was giving all the face gestures and all the other crap that guys that love themselves do , i picked up the guitar ( j custom) and asked a few questions and it was like oh you know what you are on about , then i played a few riffs and it was oh ok yes this is a lovly guitar and ok yes you can play it , guitar shop ego ,,,,, who needs it
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Skot
What is G.A.S.?
It quite literally translates as Get A Squier.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj
I was crap before I had my first Jem, I am still crap now I have my third Jem
Yeah,i too haven't suddenly found everythings possible!!
I will say that i had to adjust a little to get used to my 7vwh tho,coz i was overplaying things.She is SOOOO effortless that i realised i could relax a lot more.So i found i've improved in that way.
Along with that,the other major reason for improving is the simple fact that i want to pick her up a lot more than any other guitar,and then i HATE putting her down so i'm playing more,and getting a great satisfaction from doing it.
I also agree with Bezial's point.When i first tried one before buying i said i didn't want it plugged in! Got a strange look,but it was important to feel how she connected with me as an instrument more than hearing her rip through an amp.She definately "spoke" to me...."buy me,buy me ".Hearing it through a different amp doesn't say what it sounds like on my amp!! The one i bought i also tried acoustically first,then plugged in to make sure she woked/sounded cool.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo7v
It quite literally translates as Get A Squier.
I guess I've already fallen prey to that then My second guitar was a Squier. (my first was an old Cort 3/4 size POS, which I find ironic given that my 370 was built at a Cort factory. Full circle, I guess ) I hated the Squier so I traded it for my first Ibanez, an EX350 back in 1990 and have been hooked on Ibanez ever since.

Tags
alder body , double cutaway , guitar shop , jem vsbl , jumbo frets , picking technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode