Question for ATD - DNA Swirl's - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Question for ATD - DNA Swirl's

I have a question for you about the DNA swirls, maybe Darren or another forum member can help out. *On certain DNA's their is something in the finish that simulates stars in the black background thus many of the chaos finishes. *
I've also seen some that are just void of the stars in solid black areas like zorro.

Was this intentional? *I actually love both, but was wondering if it was premeditated or pure luck!

JC *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 05:25 PM

Reviews: 5
Question for ATD

I've seen marks like you're talking about on PMCs too. *It looks like just a side effect of the swirling process.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 08:11 AM

Question for ATD

I have a question along the same line. *I have seen on 2 of the 3 DNA's that I have had in hand a spot that looks like it was touched up by a paint pen or permanent marker, before the clear coat. *Some have more areas like this then others. *#14 has one spot like this. *I haven't seen this on any of the other swirls of the past, only on the DNA. *Also has anyone noticed that the clear coat on the DNA's seems thinner than the models of old? *The price of 5,000 must not of included extra clear coat or time spent in the lion claw area buffing to a smooth finish.

~A2K
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 11:13 AM

Reviews: 5
Question for ATD

I really don't think this is the place for bashing ATD, however I would imagine that your guitars were not written on. *It may be an effect of the swirling. *The clearcoating is not always done by ATD, so I'm not the one to suppose that question. *But it has been the experience of this forum that both ATD and Fede Customs do a tremendous quality service. *If you really think it looks bad, or just HAVE to know what that is, contact Darren at ATD.

(Edited by jem7vwh at 12:14 pm on Feb. 9, 2001)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 12:56 PM

Question for ATD

Hello to all
The process of swirling is quite random . Some effects will look almost out of place yet are quite wonderful to the eye . As I just did this canvas for someone and it had this black dot right in the middle if I did not know the process I would think it was put there after the swirl . As it turns out after looking at it , It looks like the center of the universe if you look at it one way and this killer creature if you turn it another way . The guitars should not have been touched up at all and I dont believe that they would even think about that over there. Just by the way they were handling them when I was there was like they were touching gold. The killer effect that you were talking about John in the black is just the way black will react some times I thinks it's too cool as well as the lizard skin . When im doing a run like this I like to have some variation so each guitar does not resemble the other too much, kinda and artist thing I guess. Some of these variation are what I will get by adding certain things to the mix . I was going for the killer guitar each time and as I pulled each one out my self and the people around us were freakin out. Of course as with all things there are ones that catch my eye more than others so I had a few other people around to look at them as they were being done . I have a tendency to want to redo alot of them just because well I can . To see If it get even more intense so thats why I will ask people if it's sweet or not . I did pull about 30 or so to redo once I was done with the swirl and then after they were all done I went through all of them and pulled about 20 more to redo just because they didnt make my standards. * But I did go through all of them three or four times and checked them out . the clear coat is to factory standards as far as I can see as I hold mine in my hands. I will tell you this though when I redo do a guitar for custom jobs that have a lions claw or a monkey grip you cannot sand or buff them as they are just to tight to get into and you will buff through the finish "every time" I dont care if you are Picaso himself . I am a major perfctionist and I have tried almost every way to do this even a dremal tool and you will mess it up 87.5234197777 percent lol!I am so glad you all like them so much as it means so much to me . And I expect critisism as well as any artist and I thank you for your input as it will be noted and used for R+D for any other future projects That how things get better . If you remember the fender
strats done in 83-84 they came no where close to what you have recieved now on the DNA's I am always working on new things as well as improvments to the process and to date I feel the DNA project was our best guitars yet . Hopefully there will be more to come with all of your requests to Ibanez maybe it will happen again.
Thank you for your help and dedication to this project and future one's.
Darren
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Question for ATD

Darren,

Thanks for the kind and informative response. *Honestly, I do consider each one a work of art and haven't found any defects. *The finish on both of mine is flawless. *

On the clearcoat question...clearcoating process and technology has allowed thinner and thinner coats of clear to be applied (I use vehicles for an example) over the last decade.

I doubt it was 'cost cutting' as if you really try to figure the amount of clear that would be saved to finish 300 guitars, it would only amount to pennies from a Hoshino standpoint. *Also, I'm no expert, but the thinner the coat the less chance for running or other undesirable effects.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 09:16 PM

Question for ATD

Let me rephrase my thread. *I am not bashing Darren at all. *Darren your work is unsurpasable! *Onomilies will be and add to the charecter of the guitar. *I was just stating that I hadn't seen that on the older ones. *No big deal at all. *My point was that for the price tag it seemed that Ibanez over looked a few things that would truly make these master peices. *Darren did his thing, Ibanez just didn't give 100% IMO. *I don't regret having my DNA, and would do it all over again. *I guess it is down to craftsmanship, I was able to compare 3 side by side and saw a few things that appeared to be sloppy in the assembly. *For retail of $5,000 you all must admit that you expect the ultimate! *I didn't want to admit it because,,,well I paid alot of money for this. *But now that the smoke has cleared,,,this is truly a magnificent guitar, but if you scrape of Darrens art work and you have a production model with kick ass inlays in the neck.
Now I don't want to become the whipping boy of the jemsite forum, just hear the words. *I think Ibanez should have just rolled out the red carpet on a $5,000 guitar. *You shouldn't have to tweak the necks, or have fret work corrections done out of the box. *To me it was no big deal because I was use to doing that when ever I would buy any guitar,,,then I thought,,,whoa...$5,000! that should have been caught, I am no luthier by no stretch of the imagination, but come on...
In closing "Darren rules!!!! Rich Harris is the ultimate dude for getting ahold of these animals,,,,Ibanez needs to abopt Darrens phylosophy! *"attention to detail". *Ok, now you can start knocking the heck out of me....:biggrin:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 09:44 PM

Question for ATD

For 3-5 grand the guitar should be drop dead playable out of the box. If it needed fret work I would be real po'd. If there not set up well or have a flaw of any type than Ibanez should really hang their heads low.

If anybody bashes you about that point their not being honest.

JMHO
Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 09:55 PM

Question for ATD

Thanks Dave, the whole idea of paying that much doesn't bother me,,, as a freind had said,,,he compared the quality of the "craftsmanship" ( not paint job ) of a 2,500 PRS ( which neither of us care for ) but the idea is, it was incredible, no detail over looked,,,for half the money. *I ain't getting rid of my DNA,,,and it is worth more to me than 10 PRS now. *It's just the point that you should get what you paid for,,,Darren is good,,,but I ain't given him $5,000 for a paint job. *LOL * *It has nothing to do with Rich or Darren, them boys rule. *Ibanez is just not paying attention.

(Edited by deangelo at 10:04 pm on Feb. 9, 2001)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 11:02 AM

Question for ATD

hello
swirl jobs $5000.00 I like the idea ,Hummm what could I do for that maybe dice a testical in there naaa then there would only be two and no one to pass the process on to (see kids would be out of the question there) . Hummm maybe a finger darn then there will only be ten! oh yeah and toes but who wants the cheeze thats twenty still thinking lmao!!! iI'm bored as you can see, im in the shop getting ready to clear some stuff and im waiting for some of my guys to get here . no problen Deangelo I was at the custom shop, Ibanez did roll out the red carpet on this run and Im very suprised that you would have any problems like that. I know the guy who set each guitar up in the bensalem shop and checked each one out him self . he even worked on a few there just to have them perfect out of the box that's why I dont understand those problems.
what distributor did they come from. As every guitar is suposed to be set up and gone over there before they reach the stores and if there's any fine tuning they should do that there with no charge involved. Well thats my 00.02 on that. Im glad you like the guitar and wish you many years of good playing with it . I'm just glad to see that it was able to be hooked up for you and it's fine now .
Darren
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 03:39 PM

Re: Question for ATD - DNA Swirl's

Nice thread. Just wondering... :O

Tags
clear coat , custom shop , dna swirl , killer guitar , monkey grip , production model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode