A question from a begginer... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

A question from a begginer...

Rock n' Roll... Hey I'm a first timmer with jems, I love Steve Vai and the jem is such an awesome looking guitar. It suites me perfectley. The questions i have are:

1: I am a few days away from buying a Jem555wh for 1250 canadian... Should I buy it or wait and order a Jem777wh or any of the jem 7's and possibley spend 3000 on it?

2: What is so bad about the Jem555's?

3: And does anyone know any sites that can tell me how to take care of my guitar and maintenance???

Thanx, Your fellow Jem Player,
Dietrich Toews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 02:47 AM

1/ I'd wait for a jem 7v.
Why? Because its better.
Save your pennies. I did, and its the best investment I ever made.

2) What's bad about jem 555's is that it is the same in quality as certain ibanez rg series guitars, but the rg's are only a fraction of the cost of a 555. Thus, its not a good deal. You get a really neat handle though for a lot of extra dough!

3) This site, and ibanezrules.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 02:50 AM

anyhow, if you really want to see the difference b/w a 555 and a 7v, or any other jem, try them out.

They play better, sound better, look better, and feel better than the 555.
The 555 seems like a jem, but is sorta an rg series with a really neat costume on.

But don't take my word. Try them out, and you'll see for yourself. then ask yourself if 1200 bucks for a 555 is worth it.

You can get a used jem (regular jem that is) for that price if you shop around your city. In mint condition
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanx alot man, i need all the advice i can get... anothe question though, for whomever might answer. I would like to know some personal opinions on amps. I was thinking of getting the GX212 or GTX212 Crate.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 03:17 AM

If you ask that amp question (about the crate) in the 'Gear and equipment' section on this forum you're sure to get plenty of opinions and advice!

Also, hold out for the 7V or a 'real' jem, if you buy the 555 and then see a real ''7series'' one for the same money second hand, youll be damn annoyed!

good luck getting the jem!

R.L.L
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

thanx again for the help
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 03:18 AM

Re: A question from a begginer...

Welcome to the forum dude,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMustaine
1: I am a few days away from buying a Jem555wh for 1250 canadian... Should I buy it or wait and order a Jem777wh or any of the jem 7's and possibley spend 3000 on it?
Wait and get a Jem7VWH. They are in a different league to the Jem555's.
For a great price go here http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/index.htm and click on the $$$ link to get a real quote via email.

Quote:
2: What is so bad about the Jem555's?
"These guitars discredit the other JEMs. Although they have some features of the better ones, when I played it, I found a dramatic difference in playability and sound. Just say no!" - by Dave Weiner

And that from someone who's been on tour with Vai.

The older Jem555's had a horrible bridge. Not sure what the new one is like though.

Similar quality to RG's? Not sure about that. Every Japanese made Ibanez RG that I've played has felt better than any Jem555 I've played.

Quote:
3: And does anyone know any sites that can tell me how to take care of my guitar and maintenance???
Here ya go

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/index.htm
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech.htm

wil..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanx davester1234, wilch and others for the info. I could've wasted a good amount of cash there... But im gunna get down to the music store in a bit soo i'll talk ta yall later... Rock N Roll!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 08:04 AM

go second hand, you know it makes sense. Generally you can pick up a second hand Jem7V for the same as a brand new 555.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 10:04 AM

yes, and its leaps and bounds better.

Its better, IMO, to get a 7vwh thats so badly beaten it has third degree burns than to get a 555.

Have we drilled the point in enough??

Tags
dave weiner , music store , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode