Question on my 97 JEM 7V WH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Question on my 97 JEM 7V WH

I just got my new to me 97 JEM 7V with the Ebony fingerboard I am curious to why the scallop frets are channelled and not fully cut away from fret to fret like the new ones? Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 09:45 PM

Re: Question on my 97 JEM 7V WH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Z06 View Post
I just got my new to me 97 JEM 7V with the Ebony fingerboard I am curious to why the scallop frets are channelled and not fully cut away from fret to fret like the new ones? Is this correct?

Congrats man, wicked guitar! I've noticed this too on the 7vwh's with ebony, as the rosewood ones I've seen are cut quite perfectly. Maybe it was harder for them to cut ebony precisely like that, with the intricate vine inlay, and with whatever method they were using?
My friend's '98 looks similar to yours, same with another '98 I've seen in local classifieds. Mine is '00, and the cut is nearly perfect (some hang on one fret).. So clearly they got better at doing it more precisely as the years went on. And now with better technology and rosewood board, I'd imagine it's quite easy to do it consistently.
I used to own an '05 with rosewood board and edge pro, and the inlay and scallops were absolutely perfect.. No filler in the inlays and scallops fully cut. However, the ebony + LoPro outweighed the rosewood + edge pro and other factors for me, so I sold the '05.

Last edited by Steveche; 09-28-2016 at 10:08 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.....I was worried as I have only seen one other JEM...My brothers 87 Desert Yellow and his scallops are the full width of the fret.I picked this one for the Lo Pro and ebony....Thanks
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.....I was worried as I have only seen one other JEM...My brothers 87 Desert Yellow and his scallops are the full width of the fret.I picked this one for the Lo Pro and ebony....Thanks
Yeah... I guess it must have something to do with it being ebony.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 02:33 PM

I've also got a '97!

My guess is because ebony is a tough wood to work with, they probably wanted to leave some meat on the fingerboard for future refrets (which mine is VERY overdue for) without having to worry about ****in' up the ebony too bad. I'd imagine it breaks off in a good chunk rather than little bits if mistakes are made.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

I am not a wood worker but I know ebony is a harder wood but if they did it 10 years ago on the 87 JEM with a rosewood I find it hard that they could not replicate it on ebony...Hopefully some one will have the definitive answer cause I am fairly curious
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 06:10 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

at that time the scalloping method was causing some "blemishing" in the inlays that people would get annoyed at as the inlays weren't thick enough to handle being filed away. The vine was too wide coupled with the fretboard radius (vs the pyramid). Remember the JEM10 (and 90HAM) wasn't scalloped. No doubt that scalloping was deemed a good tradeoff, especially considering the scalloping had no purpose on the AANJ in terms of tone (which was it's original intent).
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
at that time the scalloping method was causing some "blemishing" in the inlays that people would get annoyed at as the inlays weren't thick enough to handle being filed away. The vine was too wide coupled with the fretboard radius (vs the pyramid). Remember the JEM10 (and 90HAM) wasn't scalloped. No doubt that scalloping was deemed a good tradeoff, especially considering the scalloping had no purpose on the AANJ in terms of tone (which was it's original intent).
Thanks so much for the explanation Glen...This guitar is a gorgeous beast
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the explanation Glen...This guitar is a gorgeous beast
It is an absolutely gorgeous guitar. I get to play it this weekend
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
It always make me think of purpose of scalloping last four frets.
Frets are tall, and so close that string against fretwire prevents you touching fingerboard in between even if you want.
So scalloping have more purpose on lower frets. But is said that scalloping last frets give you more sustain. To me, it would have more sense if frets are small,
peromucho7 is online  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 11:05 AM

I don't know what Steve Vai's original intent was when he designed the scalloped frets but from my experience playing my 87 JEM I find that the scalloped frets 21-24 help me get under and bend them very efficiently. For me it is a physical accommodation.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 11:06 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

the original intent was tone
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:08 PM

What Glen said.. The older square heel necks didn't have solid wood all the way up to the 24th fret, so there's overhang with the last 2 frets (not much wood underneath them). If you pluck the last 2 frets on older 5xx/7xx/etc RGs, they don't ring out nicely and sound weird IMO... Compared to plucking those frets on AANJ/square heel with all solid wood (ie. 550/770 reissues). So maybe the scalloping was a way around that.. Could be physical too!

Edit: the old square heel RGs have the overhang, but can't say for sure with the old JEMs as I've never owned one.. I believe so though.

Last edited by Steveche; 09-30-2016 at 12:16 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 02:29 AM

Isn't little curious that remedy for lack of wood is taking out more wood?
peromucho7 is online  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 07:19 AM

While reading this post I was 100% certain my '00 7VWH (ebony fb) was scalloped fret to fret. Then 90% sure. Then 80% sure. Yada, yada, yada.

Now I'm back to 100% sure again. I stopped what I was doing (i.e. I got out of bed) and checked.

I don't think I've ever said this to myself, but I think my fb could use with a bit of oil.

Anyway, if it was done purposefully it's strange they went and changed it a couple years later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode