Questions about starting a jem project - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Questions about starting a jem project

Hey jemsite, i am a newcomer here. Recently i have gotten into guitar building, but due to lack of experience and tools, i have decided to just stick to gathering parts and putting them together.

That being said, I love the look and sound of jems, and have always wanted one, but they are a little too expensive for my budget.

So i am going to build one. but i need to ask a few questions to get everything straight first.

1. When it comes to buying the body, i am just planning to purchase one on the bay. Is there anyone/thing i should watch out for when i am buying this?

2. Neck: how can i tell if a neck i am buying actually came from a jem or rg, and is not just a fake? Also, who are some reliable vendors of jem necks, because i have read of a lot of infamous ones here on jemsite.

3. as for the finish, i am planning on doing a swirl, but for the clear coat, would taking it to an auto body shop and having them blast it with their clear work alright?

4. Using quality parts, is it possible to get a project like this finished for under $800 US?

Sorry for the long post

Any answers are appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:31 PM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: Questions about starting a jem project

Here is what I did.

1. I got a body from perlguitars001 on that auction site. It was already swirled and ready for clear.

2. I put an ad on craigslist for a clear coat and found someone pretty quick.

3. I ordered a neck from Chris Woods. This was a major problem because I had to wait over a year for it. I hear he has gotten much better, but there is no way to know for sure. The neck itself is fantastic, as long as you don't mind the wait. It was also about $350.

4. I bought an early '90's RG470 with original Edge for about $300 and stripped the electronics, trem system and such for the custom. Sold the rest on the bay and got some cash back.

5. Ordered Custom colored pickups from DiMarzio through Mikesmusic on the bay. Cost $250.

6. Had an expert put it all together, the stuff I couldn't anyway.

Here is my tally for my project

Body $130
Neck $350
Parts from 470 $200 after recouping some cash after selling the rest
Pups $250
Clear $150
Setup $150

total $1280 or so there was also some knobs and a tip for the 5 way ect

Of course, you don't have to go with the custom pups, or the custom neck either. That will save you a bunch. Good luck with it, below are some pics of my completed project.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ack/PGS009.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ack/PGS011.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ack/PGS014.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ack/PGS015.jpg

Last edited by dccomputersa; 07-19-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: screwup
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 01:41 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Questions about starting a jem project

Keeping your build under 800 is going to be almost impossible
in my experience. I'm finishing a jem build and I already had
an unfinished body, tremolo system and neck hardware to start
with. And I haven't even paid to have it set up yet.

Here is a list of what I bought

1. ET Guitars Custom Neck 380
2. Custom Paint 200
3. Dimarzio Steve Special & Evolution 160
4. Build and Setup 00
5. Output Jack, Pots, Caps, Switches 50
6. Dimarzio Blue Velvet Pick-up 35
7. Ibanez Edge Tremolo Studs 25

Total 850

Maybe if you buy a used body off the bay already painted
or stick with a RG neck off the bay you could do it. If you
are going to go with the RG neck make sure you get one
that was Made in Japan. I heard they are better. I bought
one from a RG 550 of the bay a couple years ago and it was nice.

Last edited by tzoranski; 07-19-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: made a mistake
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i see. Since this project will probably take a while, my budget will probably be a lot more, so i guess the 800 quote was pretty inaccurate
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccomputersa View Post
Here is what I did.

1. I got a body from perlguitars001 on that auction site. It was already swirled and ready for clear.

2. I put an ad on craigslist for a clear coat and found someone pretty quick.

3. I ordered a neck from Chris Woods. This was a major problem because I had to wait over a year for it. I hear he has gotten much better, but there is no way to know for sure. The neck itself is fantastic, as long as you don't mind the wait. It was also about $350.

4. I bought an early '90's RG470 with original Edge for about $300 and stripped the electronics, trem system and such for the custom. Sold the rest on the bay and got some cash back.

5. Ordered Custom colored pickups from DiMarzio through Mikesmusic on the bay. Cost $250.

6. Had an expert put it all together, the stuff I couldn't anyway.

Here is my tally for my project

Body $130
Neck $350
Parts from 470 $200 after recouping some cash after selling the rest
Pups $250
Clear $150
Setup $150

total $1280 or so there was also some knobs and a tip for the 5 way ect

Of course, you don't have to go with the custom pups, or the custom neck either. That will save you a bunch. Good luck with it, below are some pics of my completed project.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ack/PGS009.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ack/PGS011.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ack/PGS014.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ack/PGS015.jpg

I've heard mixed things about perlguitars001 bodies. The guy has good feedback though. How was the swirl? I've read they can be clumpy. Any issues with the fit of Ibanez parts or neck?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
I've heard mixed things about perlguitars001 bodies. The guy has good feedback though. How was the swirl? I've read they can be clumpy. Any issues with the fit of Ibanez parts or neck?
i would like to know about fitment issues as well
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 03:08 AM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: Questions about starting a jem project

No major fit problems, of course my tech is pretty darn good. The only thing you could call an issue is that I have had to take it back to my tech several times for adjustment. He said the wood on the neck wasn't quite dry enough so it is still settling. Other then that, no issues. As for the swirl itself, i bought it because I LOVE the colors and the swirl. If I had to compare me swirls, the Nate Perl against the Herc Fede, I would say that the Perl is better quality. Since I have started doing swirls myself, I see on the Herc swirl places where he sanded all the paint of and left white. Just a few small places, but the Nate Perl doesn't have these. Of course the Herc Fede was done 10 or 11 years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode