Questions and Lookin for Answers (Protecting sig on guitar) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Questions and Lookin for Answers (Protecting sig on guitar)

OK, so I went to a local luthier in Ottawa today and showed him the guitar to see if he can clear coat the body. He's confident he can do but has questions and before I schedule the work (sometime in November) does anyone know the following:

1. What type of marker does Joe use to sign the body of a guitar?
2. What type of finish does the JS2410 have on it.

The luthier said once he has these answers he'll know what type of clear coat to use and will know which products he can and cannot use.

Reliable and accurate answers only please.

Thanks everyone,

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: Questions and Lookin for Answers (Protecting sig on guitar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrastruck View Post
OK, so I went to a local luthier in Ottawa today and showed him the guitar to see if he can clear coat the body. He's confident he can do but has questions and before I schedule the work (sometime in November) does anyone know the following:

1. What type of marker does Joe use to sign the body of a guitar?
2. What type of finish does the JS2410 have on it.

The luthier said once he has these answers he'll know what type of clear coat to use and will know which products he can and cannot use.

Reliable and accurate answers only please.

Thanks everyone,

JD

I can answer one of your questions:

1. A Sharpie branded marker (permanent marker). Usually Joe will use the marker you hand him to sign your stuff.

2. Rich might know the answer to that one.

Jimmy
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks JB, I got an answer from you and both Ibanez and Rich, so I've got confirmation on that the JS2410 is a polyurethane coat on the body.

As for the markers Joe uses to sign it sounds as though they are Sharpies, however I am looking for exact confirmation on the specific type of Sharpie, just in case so the Luthier can isolate a protective coating that won't damage the body or erode or ruin the signature.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Vendor

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with a clearcoat over clearcoat. Before you commit I'd at least consider the clear bra mask solution.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Will do for sure Rich. I'll do some more research on it. I don't trust any of the auto body folks here to do it if I go that route. Do you know of anyone else that's used the clear bra approach on their guitar?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Vendor

You only want to cover the sig and figure, it's not that big anybody that installs this stuff could screw up

I don't, but it's made to bake in the sun and weather for years so I think it would be OK on a guitar.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 03:09 PM

I used it on my LNG. The signature was partially worn and I didn't want it getting worse.

Seriously this stuff is stupidly easy to apply, especially for this small of an area. Just make a template on a piece of paper.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 06:25 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I used it on my LNG. The signature was partially worn and I didn't want it getting worse.

Seriously this stuff is stupidly easy to apply, especially for this small of an area. Just make a template on a piece of paper.
At a glance can you tell that there is something else on the guitar? Part of the reason I prefer clear is that its transparent and just sort of there.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:31 PM

You can tell it's there. But you can also tell if you've sprayed a spot of clear. The shine will be different, plus you'd have to scuff the surface for the clear to adhere. Also, I can remove that at any time and not damage the finish.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everyone, it's greatly appreciated. I am considering the clear bra approach, and have gotten the answers to the finish and markers Joe uses. My only concern with the clear adhesive is on a car it has a lifespan of 5 to 7 years. Granted if put on a guitar it will last longer as it doesn't encounter the elements a car does. My only major concern is how long does the clear tape adhere to the guitar for 10 -15 years/longer? If it peels will it lift the paint finish and signature?

I just don't want to take any chances of losing the signature. I know I shouldn't play the guitar if I want it to last. But I did buy it to get signed and to play. As is right now the sig seems to have taken well to the body and almost seems as though right now it's part of the finish. Still considering getting the Luthier to clear coat it. He's doing research on it now. If the clear bra approach is simpler and won't damage the guitar in the long run by peeling and lifting the sig etc. then I may very well go that route.

Again, thanks for all your input. I'll post pics as soon I get whatever I decide to done.

JD
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 04:04 AM

Why would you want to save someones autograph? It isnt that special.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHNOROCKTRONIC View Post
Obviously it's special to him, and it's his guitar. Pretty simple, really.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 AM

Ibanez is using the exact same product to cover the signature and the "EVO" on the Jem EVO signature guitars, so clearly Ibanez is comfortable using it on their finishes and they obviously expect it to last a very long time.

Keep in mind that on a car, this is expected to get baked in the sun and be constantly hit by rocks and have bugs smashed into it.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHNOROCKTRONIC View Post
I wasn't going to respond to this as I don't believe it derserves a response. However, It is something special to me and something I want to last so I can appreciate it while I'm on this earth, and hopefully can pass it on later in life to someone else that would appreciate it just as much.

I've been listening to Satriani since I started playing guitar back when I was 15 or 16. I'll never be a virtuoso like Satch, but he has been an influence on me and someone I see as a professional roll model to other musicians out there. I had a chance to see him 13 years ago when I was in college but was unable to get to Toronto at the time. There has not been any other time where I was in a position or place to see him due to timing and money.

Now 37 years of age I was able to take some leave from work and can afford travelling 2000 miles south to a show. So thats what I did and with that in mind I wanted to make the best of it. Meeting Satch and doing the VIP Meet and Greet was definitely a worthwile experience and having him sign and doodle on my guitar was an honour and in a sense gives me a little piece of Satch, a keepsake and something to remember my trip to Boston to my first Satriani show.

It's sentimental, and everyone has thier take on autogrpahs and celebrities. To each thier own, everyone has an opinion. You've shared yours and thank you for that, this is my opinion on how I see it.

JD
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 AM

Tundrastruck, ping me at: [email protected]. I'm in Ottawa and I think we're going to the same show and meet and greet..I'm also bringing a JS-1000 and just posted about it. Cheers! BTW, I ordered the JS2410 but then cancelled it for a JS24P (can't justify the retail cost, sorry), would LOVE to see your JS2410 !!!!! Cheers.

Tags
guitar , js2410 , protect , satch , signatures

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode