quick qustion about the tremolo bar - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

quick qustion about the tremolo bar

Les say im playing the end of tender surrender on my new jem. Ya know the part where he going crazy making the strings rattle all over the place. If i play that just as crazy as he does in the music video is it normal to have all the strings go slighly flat, like 2-4 cents flat? or should they remain 100% in tune. I guess what im sayinf is, how often should i be using the fine tuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 11:08 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: quick qustion about the tremolo bar

I use my fine tuners for about 3 days after my new strings have been added. I play my guitar like 1 to 3 times a day for a total of 1 - 3 hours and that 5 - 7 times a week. My strings stay in tune for about 5 - 7 months and i change them when they wear out or when one breaks.

So it's not normal. I use my tremolo a lot. I find it adds a lot of color to music and the device was created with no particular intention in mind, so the best use of creativity is implied. That being said, it only goes in two directions, so it has limitations, but taking consideration that we all beat the **** out of our guitars, i'd say it's odd that it goes flat when you use it to get a flat pitch. The only direction i get my strings to go flat by is when i pull back all the way and hit the bottom of the cavity. But that's just when i am playing around or when i am done with my strings because pulling that far makes all the strings caress the finger board and kills any sound, so it's quite useless.

Again, i don't think it's normal. It sounds to me like it's not set up properly. Either that or maybe you're neck is moving around because of the tension. What tremolo unit do you own anyways ?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Dee

It's probably the trem knife edges. They need sharpening, or at the very least, lubing. Try a gel-based Teflon grease.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

The guitar is a brand new JEM just got it about a week ago. Would it need that already? Im the only one who played it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Dee

It's not unknown for a brand new guitar to have less than ideal knife edges. I'm not saying this is definitely your problem, but it's a possibility. Try lubing the contact points though, it might cure it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Do i have to remove the trem? What do i lube it with?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 11:50 PM

Chapstick. It can be done with bridge still on. Simply turn the studs 180 degrees, apply, then turn back. You can apply torque at the back of the bridge to relieve tension against the stud that you are trying to turn. I think I read this on Ibanezrules somewhere.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Hmm ill have to try that chapstick, ill do it later today.

Does anone know if there is any way to toghten the arm holder without removing the tremolo? I really done feel like doing that. My arm gets loose real fast, even after i do the nail polish trick. Also when i first insert it, it starts out as a snug fit, but the arm holder moves a few mm back and forth when i rotote the arm. Does this mean its loose?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 AM

If the strings are new, make sure they're properly stretched before fine tuning and locking down the nut.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 AM

On the loose arm question, is the arm loose in the socket, or is the socket loose in the baseplate? Look at the screw slots on each side of the socket while you work the arm. If the socket is moving, you will need to tighten it in 2 ways. First, use a BIG screwdriver and gently but firmly turn the socket to the right. The you need to pop the back cover and use a deep socket(10mm I think) and tighten the nut from the backside. You may need to remove the little screw and tension spring to fit the socket on and it would be easier with the trem out of the body. If the socket is tight, replace the white nylon bushings on the bar(every new trem includes an extra pair or check with Rich or *bay).
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:26 PM

id recommend just going through the whole setup process on ibanezrules...
taking the bridge off n setting everything up. my guitar(570) went from 20-25c off to spot on... with trem push and pull-up.

Im too scared to try it on my jem tho

Tags
arm holder , finger board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode