Range - Range of the... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Range - Range of the...

Can anyone tell me what the range is of the tremolo system of the UV777pbk? :help:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Range

:help: :help: help: :help: :help: help:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:46 AM

Range

when set up propery, i can pull up the open G up a perfect 4th.

hope this :help:s

~Kenny
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:46 PM

Range

…and push down until the strings are like over cooked spaghetti.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Range

Gee wiz, THANKS!! You know I asked the question because I'm thinking of buying it (the UV777pbk) and I'm comparing every detail of the UV to the other guitar I'm interested in, the JEM7VWH. The perfect 4th to G, hmmm is that a C? And is that the same range as a JEM7VWH? And how long do the strings last normally when you use the trem a lot vor raising notes like that?

Thanks you people are really big :help: *:thumbsup:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 05:38 AM
Vendor

Range

Both guitars could be setup where you could pull up so far as to break your strings. Trem range is not a consideration when considering either one.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 09:53 AM

Range

The jems pull up further because they're routed out behind the bridge.

(yes, by the way - a C is a P4 up from a G)

my rg550 pulled up to a B off the G string when set up properly. *(think 'the attitude song').

My BFP pulls up slightly higher than a C - almost a C#

Whether or not string gauge has anything to do with it, i don't know. *my UV and JEM are both strung with D'Addario .010s and mt RG had D'Add .011s.

I've never had good luck keeping them in tune with excessive bar use if they're not properly set up, so I can't stand behind what Rich says - maybe if Rich wants to elaborate further on his methods......

Floyd bridges break strings faster. *period. *There's a constant strain on the string at it's curving point in the bridge - every time you bend a note you're putting pressure/release on all the other strings at the bridge. *Lots or bar use compounds that. *Nice thing about the Floyds is that every string has two lives (sometimes three, if nec.) because if you leave enough string on the tuning posts when you restring it, you can just pull the broken string back down in wind it *up again. *This method requires cutting the balls off beforehand, *(:laugh *Usually about 3 gigs into a set of strings, if one breaks, I'll go ahead and cut the other culprits at the bridge and reinsert them, so I don't have to do it mid-song. *My culprits are E's, B's and D's - occasionally an A and almost NEVER G's. *i've also found that i break fewer string in the .010 sets than in the .011s. *probbaly something to do with how much extra tension there is with the .011s.

Another unconventional thing i do to get further 'down' range from the trem is I put the short end of the bar into a clamp and pull the other end up - it brings the bar a bit higher up from the guitar, so you can push down further, thus a better 'spaghetti' effect, as Bob put it. *Just a bit of a bend will do just fine - don't go nuts! *Kevan doesn't like this because 'you can never bend two bars exactly the same'. *So of us don't care as much about sonsistency as others, i guess. *i just don't like the bar close to the body.

~kenny
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 10:08 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Range

I concur with Rich, in that the tremolo range should not be a factor in this decision. The UV trem will just have a stiffer feel due to the extra string. You really should not break strings on the Edge/LoPro with proper setup, once you get a feel for the tremolo.

I think alot of tuning problems (even with proper setup), is people using FINE TUNERS too much. You need to tune dead-on then lock the nut. If major fine tuning changes are required after locking the nut you need to immediately unlock and repeat.

If you do NOT do this, you will have unequal tension on two parts of the strings.... from headstock to locking nut and from nut to bridge. That can only enhance breakage... glen
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 05:20 PM

Range

I've had a Lo-Pro on my Yamaha for 5 or 6 years now and i can't remember the last time a string broke... a couple or 3 years. I broke a D on my 7420 the other day but that was no fault of the trem:biggrin: *
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee SNAP!!!!:lame:

Alden
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Range

Ok, here goes. Right now I own a Yamaha with a Wilkinson floating tremolo. When I don't use the tremolo at all, my strings (.009-.042) last for about 2-3 months. But every now and then I use that tremolo to do wacky stuff with it (:loco. But when I do that, either my high E, my B or G will snap in no time. My wounded strings (E,A and D) break very rarely. I can imagen that if I own a UV with a Lo Pro Edge Í would go nuts with that thing very often. Now I don't feel like switching to a .010 set of strings and thusly I'll be breaking the unwounded strings very often. And that will cost me a fortune on strings. So I guess I'm gonna have to discipline myself as to not be too wacky with the tremolo. Just so you people know, I'm tending more to the UV777pbk than the JEM7VWH. Why? Well I think the JEM7VWH is a very beutiful guitar. But I already own two electric six strings, and I think I'll get more for my money If I buy the UV (not to mention that the UV is a CLASSY looking guitar). But the two of these guitars are so damn expensive, I might just not buy either! The UV777pbk is less expensive than the Jem7VWH, can you believe that? The UV is like about little over 1500 American dollars, and the JEM is over 2000(In my country, wich is not America). So that is a lot of money!
And I don't know if there worth all my savings.

Tags
floating tremolo , locking nut , pro edge , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how much of a tonal range can you get with a floyd rose?
ibanez 2010 range?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode