Rarity of Universe Guitars with a Monkey Grip. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Rarity of Universe Guitars with a Monkey Grip.

Hello All,
I've found a 91' UV7BK with a monkey grip. How rare is this? My intentions were to resell if I purchase it, but I may actually keep it if if I can get used to the 7 strings. How much would the monkey grip add to the collectibility and value of this guitar? I do realize that the UV7BK is one of the least desirable models, but to me appearance takes backseat to functionality.
Have a good day!
T.L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 01:56 PM

The Universe was never supplied from the factory with a monkey grip, so an third-party modification or aftermarket body contributes exactly zero to the "collectibility."
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 01:56 PM

It would depend greatly if the monkey grip is in fact original, and not an aftermarket alteration.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 02:23 PM

chances of it being original are zero I think. From what was done to cover up the fact that Vai's MC had a grip, I can't see Ibanez ever having produced a UV with a grip. However, lots of aftermarket companies will put them in and lots of other companies build entire bodies with grips and claws if you want (how's my UV looking eddie ) LOL!!!!!!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Hello,
The guitar seems to be 100% original as I cannot see any indication of it being painted or touched up. I have only recently been interested in vintage and modern Ibanez guitars (one year) and I research them when ever I locate one. While researching this Universe I found that monkey grips are extremely rare. I am going back to look this guitar over again and will report back to this post exactly what I see. I guess that I should take my digital camera with me so that you can see it as well.
TL
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 02:31 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
hello and welcome to the forum. i'll cut right to the chase... unless there is verification (ie. proof) that this was created specially by Ibanez... the guitar is worth just what a UV7BK is worth... not a whole lot really.

Ibanez didn't create UVs w/ the grips (the PAW grip was not cut by ibanez, instead a clown in LI) and this is probably a quality refinish job after the grip was cut. Good luck... glen
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCguitars
Hello,
The guitar seems to be 100% original as I cannot see any indication of it being painted or touched up.
TL

If I was to put a grip in a guitar and refinish it you wouldn't know it wasn't original either, that's the point behind a refinish LOL. Ibanez would be about the only place that could tell you. It could be an employee's guitar, or a new body. See if you can pull the neck off and see what it says in the neck pocket.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome!
I just looked at this guitar again over my lunchbreak, but his time up close. The monkey grip was definately a modification to this guitar. Inside the grip the paint was rougher, not as smooth as the rest of the body. I could also see that the bottom contour of the grip was rounded more than it should be.
Thanks for the help!
TL
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 04:01 PM
EKG

Jer...your UV is PRIMO!!! I must say, this came out awesome!

Back to subject at hand

As others have mentioned, chances of the grip being factory routed is extremely slim. Is there by any chance that this might be a JEM VBK? Looks similar to the UVBK.

Pics would be nice, too ;-)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 05:06 AM

I never thought about the claw, gonna have to have that done too.... I drool at the thought of getting a grip cut into my UVMC and having it reswirled. I drool!!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 01:28 PM
EKG

I guess I posted a nanosecond after TL
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Inside the grip the paint was rougher, not as smooth as the rest of the body
well TLC Guitars no Jems have smooth paint on the inside. My new Jem 7VWH still have rougher paint than the rest of the body. I'm not saying your GRIP was done by Ibanez but don't base any rough paint in the GRIP and under the BRIDGE as something not done by Ibanez.

Also everyone is saying that it won't be worth much more than an original UV7BK, and that may be true to collectors, however you might find a guy like Knightmeir
Quote:
I drool at the thought of getting a grip cut into my UVMC
who will be willing to pay more for you customed UV.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 01:50 AM

you do realize he doesn't own this guitar, he was asking if it was a factory job because he was considering buying it
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 12:56 PM
rgr

As far as I know (which can be limited) there is exactly 1 UV with a monkey grip, barring employee guitars. That was the first UVMC that was owned by Steve and given to Thomas McRocklin.

$0.02+,
Roger
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goodland
well TLC Guitars no Jems have smooth paint on the inside. My new Jem 7VWH still have rougher paint than the rest of the body. I'm not saying your GRIP was done by Ibanez but don't base any rough paint in the GRIP and under the BRIDGE as something not done by Ibanez.
Completely innacurate. Though the paint on my PMC & GMC is somewhat rough on the inside of the grip, my DNA is as smooth as can be.

Tags
ibanez guitars , monkey grip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode