RE: JS1600 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Pablo, CA
Posts: 395
RE: JS1600

What ever happened to this model?

JS1600 | Ibanez Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

I had one and loved it. Main reason I got mine was because I had a JS6 back in the day.

I've even seen at least one person post where they stripped the body to look like a JS6.

Mine had some tuning stability issues on the B string, which I'm guessing may be nut related, unless the tuners are a known issue - still a great guitar.

My assumption is it may boil down to pure economics and maybe not a big seller?

Steve
scarello is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:31 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,557
Re: JS1600

I sanded mine back and oiled it, looks just like a 6 now.... in fact I sold my 6... the neck on the 1600 is nicer, locking tuners and for me a better guitar..... love to see Joe do an updated version (24 frets)..... depending on who you talk too, some say Joe didn't even know the 1600 was being released (true?) either way it was only out for a short time
Sean777 is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:30 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Indy, IN
Posts: 1,977
Reviews: 4
Re: JS1600

I love my JS700 and JS6000TR guitars. I loved the look of the 1600 with the silver but didn't have the disposable loot for it when it was new. I'd buy a used one if I found a deal and I had money.
Ekim is offline  
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:38 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,557
Re: JS1600

My 6 and 1600 (after sanding down and oiling)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21369036_10210462299493867_5460006493892848439_o.jpg (288.8 KB, 83 views)
Sean777 is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:43 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,557
Re: JS1600

JS6 and 1600
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16425824_10208681440573507_2643718654130199547_n.jpg (38.5 KB, 76 views)
scarello and jono like this.
Sean777 is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Pablo, CA
Posts: 395
Re: JS1600

Would you say the locking tuners would be drop-in replacements for a JS6 or would you have to drill any holes?

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean777 View Post
JS6 and 1600
scarello is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:03 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 547
Why on earth would you bother fitting locking tuners to a hardtail guitar, it's completely unnecessary.
sepulchrave is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Pablo, CA
Posts: 395
Re: JS1600

Main reason for me would be string changes.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Why on earth would you bother fitting locking tuners to a hardtail guitar, it's completely unnecessary.
scarello is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:56 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,557
Re: JS1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarello View Post
Main reason for me would be string changes.

Steve
No idea sorry....at worst maybe pilot holes for little screws
Sean777 is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:05 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: AB, Canada
Posts: 703
Re: JS1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean777 View Post
depending on who you talk too, some say Joe didn't even know the 1600 was being released (true?)
That’s odd considering “Joe’s preference” was often the reason given whenever anyone asked why the 1600 had a non-color matching headstock.
Inzane is offline  
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:26 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,557
Re: JS1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Why on earth would you bother fitting locking tuners to a hardtail guitar, it's completely unnecessary.

the 1600 stays in tune better than the 6.
Sean777 is offline  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:27 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,557
Re: JS1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
That’s odd considering “Joe’s preference” was often the reason given whenever anyone asked why the 1600 had a non-color matching headstock.
Dunno, guess you'd have to ask Joe.
Sean777 is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:36 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 30
Re: JS1600

I had a JS1600 a few years back and sold it because I wasn't using it. Big mistake



There aren't many JS1600 around for sale and I'd prefer it to the JS2000.


Are there any alternatives to the JS1600?
GoghVan is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:57 PM
site founder 0% owner
 
jemsite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 11,475
Reviews: 1
Re: JS1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoghVan View Post
I had a JS1600 a few years back and sold it because I wasn't using it. Big mistake
There aren't many JS1600 around for sale and I'd prefer it to the JS2000.
Are there any alternatives to the JS1600?
I really dig my JS1600 and the sparkle silver is awesome (I don't need another natural axe) except the control pots insufficient linearity. But I picked up earlier this year a swirled SCA220 for my daughter for xmas it's MIJ & similar she was playing my JS1000 since outgrowing the mini Strat. Cheap AF minty used... MIJ litters online retailers & reverb look around!!!
scarello likes this.
jemsite is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Pablo, CA
Posts: 395
Re: JS1600

JS1600's are like unicorns - they seem very sparse.

I miss mine as well, but I should have my JS6 on Monday. (Winning)

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoghVan View Post
I had a JS1600 a few years back and sold it because I wasn't using it. Big mistake



There aren't many JS1600 around for sale and I'd prefer it to the JS2000.


Are there any alternatives to the JS1600?
scarello is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my js1600 arrived ! garrotte Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 33 08-08-2010 04:54 PM
Is there a market for a Re-Issue or Re-Working of the X-Ing guitars? GuitarBizarre Comments to Ibanez 6 05-29-2009 01:44 PM
Re-launch of my band's website, and re-release of some music trouble311 Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 0 06-08-2004 02:41 PM
New RG Project going. - I'm gonna re-re-re build my ol' crap Jeroenn All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 14 05-25-2001 11:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome