Real or fake.... need help ASAP - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Real or fake.... need help ASAP

Hey guys,

Can any of you confirm that this is an Ibanez Jem Jr and not a copy?

Need to know in a hurry.... cheers!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8183931...7636456178915/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 12:01 PM

Re: Real or fake.... need help ASAP

IDK why anyone would bother to try to counterfeit a Jem Jr, they are crap guitars.... Do yourself a favor and take a pass on it
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 03:22 PM

I second what Swirltop said.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

They are no worse than an RG350.... And if you cant make one of those sound good, its your playing thats crap, not the guitar......
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean777 View Post
They are no worse than an RG350.... And if you cant make one of those sound good, its your playing thats crap, not the guitar......
Being able to make it sound good, and wanting to play on it everyday are two very different things.

I can make a 79 dollar Mexican strat sound good, doesn't mean I want to own it
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnovak View Post
Being able to make it sound good, and wanting to play on it everyday are two very different things.

I can make a 79 dollar Mexican strat sound good, doesn't mean I want to own it
...and that is fair enough.... but.... I own guitars from a few hundred, to several thousand... and depending on the show I play, place Im teaching ill use the guitar that best suits the job.... my point is, most people who hack down the 333 have never even picked one up.... i will never shoot down the 333, 505, 555, JS100 etc, or whatever.... its just amazing how narrow minded some people are... for some people a Jem555 might have taken them a year to save for and they might love it... so take a minute and think about what you say to people....one persons trash is another mans treasure.....

Yes, the 333 is no 7V, that goes without saying.... but its a playable guitar, stays in tune and there is nothing wrong with it.... it just doesnt meet Jemsite users HIGH standards.... btw... anyone who wants to give me a $79 Mexican Strat, ill happily accept it!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I've played one before and honestly you'd be much better off with a 350 with an Edge Zero II bridge than a worse than lousy TRS II bridge (that actually won't stay in tune) the Jr. comes with.

You don't need to get so defensive over crap models.... It's not about being a snob, it's about trying to save someone from wasting hard-earned money on a POS guitar. I wish someone had warned me to save my cash when I bought POS guitars first starting out, wish I had been patient, saved, and just bought a nicer playing/sounding guitar....

The other point... You don't have to worry about anyone copying a Jr.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 08:00 PM

Agreed with Swirltop. And honestly OP, when guys on a forum dedicated to ibanez tell you not to buy an ibanez..its gotta tell you something
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 PM

Reviews: 11

I'll be honest. I didn't know jem jr's existed. I thought they were all fake lol never payed much attention to any models in that category.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

I have had a JS100 with a Trs-II for 20 years.... Id choose it over my 77fp.... Japanese and more expensive doesnt mean better. We each play for different reasons.... Im happy to use a cheap Korean guitar..,, change of pickups and it will be good enough for me....,.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Thats a little overly deffensive I didn't order you to not buy it , but more advised you not to purchase it.I borrowed one from a friend in the past and just didn't like it so i gave my opinion regarding the guitar and furthermore "just doesnt meet Jemsite users HIGH standards" what makes you think that? If anything this is the best place to get honest opinions regarding Ibanez Guitars because the people on this site are truly dedicated and cherish them and would most definitely advise you to not by a guitar with reason not because they are biased towards the lower end models. On another note from what I can tell from the picture its seems legit, but i'm not entirely sure.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 AM

IMO, the original of these were made during the time that Korean guitars (the half vine) were notably sub-par in comparison to Japanese made guitars. (ie. more chance of getting a dud out of Korea than Japan).

I remember when they came out and were new. In Aus they had the same price tag as an RG550. There was absolutely no justification in buying one, unless you absolutely had to have a guitar that said VAI on the 24th fret, and has Jem Jr on the headstock...and had a handle cut into the body.

These were never a desired Jem. I doubt anyone would copy it.

That said, the one you have there is one of the newer Jem Jr's with just the dot inlays.

If you want it, desire it, love it, then buy it. It looks like a real one, the monkey grip is in the right place and is the right size, and the headstock shape and logo are all correct. It's a good "copy" if it is one, IMO.

Last edited by wilch; 10-13-2013 at 12:55 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:
...and that is fair enough.... but.... I own guitars from a few hundred, to several thousand... and depending on the show I play, place Im teaching ill use the guitar that best suits the job.... my point is, most people who hack down the 333 have never even picked one up.... i will never shoot down the 333, 505, 555, JS100 etc, or whatever.... its just amazing how narrow minded some people are... for some people a Jem555 might have taken them a year to save for and they might love it... so take a minute and think about what you say to people....one persons trash is another mans treasure.....

Yes, the 333 is no 7V, that goes without saying.... but its a playable guitar, stays in tune and there is nothing wrong with it.... it just doesnt meet Jemsite users HIGH standards.... btw... anyone who wants to give me a $79 Mexican Strat, ill happily accept it!

I wasn't bashing the guitar at all, in fact I've never played it, so I have no room to bash it. I just don't like the idea that just because you don't want to own it, that means you can't play.....

So far of the jem's I've played, none had a decent setup, so I couldn't tell you which ones played like a dream and which were poo, and I don't like buying a guitar without playing it (the livewire I bought notwithstanding).
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I guess im defensive because I didnt actually ask for peoples opinion.... but got given it anyway.... I now have the 333 in my possession and here are my thoughts:

If your after a Jem 'looking' RG... then this is your guitar. The neck is a little thicker, but the guitar feels sturdy and is very similar to the RG350 in build quality etc....If you want a guitar that holds tuning, and not worried to really thrash it... Id get this.... I plan to replace the pickups, dont expect it to feel like a japanese Jem, but in all honesty I am pleasantly surprised by this guitar.... its better quality than I thought...... for what you pay, i think its pretty good.....
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnovak View Post
I wasn't bashing the guitar at all, in fact I've never played it, so I have no room to bash it. I just don't like the idea that just because you don't want to own it, that means you can't play.....

So far of the jem's I've played, none had a decent setup, so I couldn't tell you which ones played like a dream and which were poo, and I don't like buying a guitar without playing it (the livewire I bought notwithstanding).
All I can say at this point is, I have an RG350 (the white one).... put a plain white pickguard on it, route for Lions Claw and Money Grip and you have the 333 (Jr).... Its not a Jem.... its an RG with a Jem look... but.... Im ok with that.... for the price I think its a cool option..... we all know its not a 'real' Jem....then again, half the customs you see around are just Jem-looking.... so maybe look at the Jem Jr as a guitar you could paint or do up?.... Im gonna leave mine white.... I kinda like it....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode