Really big OOPS!!! - With a nice little surprise afterwards - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Really big OOPS!!! - With a nice little surprise afterwards

Well, I did a dumb thing last night at band rehearsal. *I put a new cliplock on my newly aquired FP and decided to try the big swing it around my shoulder to see if it balances as good as the VWH during that trick. *So.....
Swing!!!!
CRASH!!!!
and I look down at the floor only to see my poor new baby had the screw in the base of the body pull out and sent my guitar sailing across the room crashing onto the floor. *I walked over expecting to find a broken neck (it landed headstock first) but when I picked it up, it was all intact! *Out of tune yes, but no other problems at all!
So I tuned it up and played it again. *
I guess I'll still never put a cliplock on without puting some crazy glue in the screw hole, and yes, I did drill out the brass bushing and reuse the original screws.
The moral of the story, don't swing your guitar around until you are sure the screws aren't coming out.
All I can say, is I am very impressed with the strength of the neck, especially considering this is an 89 model with tons of playing on it. *I'm still not going to try testing the strengh like that again though :biggrin: and don't recommend you doing it either.
My Jem oops story for the year so far.
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 07:08 PM

Reviews: 5
Really big OOPS!!!

ugh...that makes MY stomach hurt, and it's not even my guitar. *I'm glad to hear it didn't kill your new toy.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 10:58 AM

Really big OOPS!!!

Hey Jeremy, do you do the tongue hammer-on thing too?

Much less abusive to guitars, and looks even cooler.

Joe
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 11:05 AM

Really big OOPS!!!

I was taking a new strap of one of my FPs one day and I lost control of the guitar and it flew out of my hands and landed on the edge of my case (this one is kept in an SKB. *It hit the metal rim. *It has a small dent in the rear edge of the headstock and the small dent in the finish on the guitar's side is currently being filled and is coming along rather nicely. *Still sux that it happenned though. *Thanks for the lesson, I won't try to swing my Jems or my UV around my neck
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 11:49 AM

Really big OOPS!!!

*Man! *glad she is ok! * Ya know the way to pull that off is by using the stretchy strap so it gives and does not pull so much on the strap button. *PLus Basswood is very soft, big ouch!

* I watched a Friend one day do the same thing with his new UV77MC. *We were walking down town outside with our MC's and all of the sudden there goes his swirl flying by over my head? *Went over 20 feet until it came to a stop slamming into the ground 8-12 times over and over. *Lost major swirl chunks but only the high E was out of tune.

*Little battle scars here and there are A OK!

Peace
RJ
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Really big OOPS!!!

oooo, owww the MC, jeez, that sucks big time. *
Ya know, I've never tried the tongue hammer on thing, my bag of tricks usually includes
Swing around the neck
Play over the top of the neck (upside down)
Play with the guitar behind my head (I think it looks dumb, but the crowd really likes it)
Play my guitar with it in front of my singer
get down on one knee and put the neck under my other leg and play from the front side on my leg, (that one's dangerous if you get up wrong though. CRASH)
and then there are the standards that you do when it is just bass and drums going and you don't need to be playing.
Jeremy

Tags
strap button

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode