really old jem 77fp, and the curtains from Steve Vai - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

really old jem 77fp, and the curtains from Steve Vai

The first jem 77 fp's is said to have the curtain fabric from Steve Vais own personal curtains from his home.

If this is true, (I actually saw an interview where Steve himself claims this), how big was his curtains?
How many guitars could have possibly been made from those particular curtains? I would figure, not many.

And when they eventually ran out of Steves personal curtains, I assume they must have found identical fabric to continue to make these 77 fp guitars. Around what time did this happen?

Steve himself also claimed the old jem 77 fps all sounded better because of the old original fabric, which can of course be questioned, but what are modern jem 77 fps made of, do they still have the fabric, or is it paint nowdays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 PM

Re: really old jem 77fp, and the curtains from Steve Vai

From right here on the site:

"JEM77FP Note - Every JEM77FP Floral Pattern made features an actual floral pattern cloth on the body front, body rear and headstock. The fabric used for the pattern is bonded to the body, painted over black on the edges and then fully clear coated. It comes in several varieties: three body, three headstock and three rear-body floral patterns exist for 27 possible combos. The actual Floral "Pattern" cloth was modeled after the actual curtains from Vai's parents home in LI, NY. His first few (pre-production prototype) Florals were said to be made with the actual curtains.

To dispel a few myths

None of the JEM77FPs sold were made with Vai's actual curtains.

I REPEAT... every JEM77FP ever made has actual cloth. This writeup here on Vai.com is WRONG and the source of confusion. Kindly fix it guys

The Floral pattern. Well the fabric first came from a place in the USA that we tracked down from Steve's samples from his house. We purchased it in sheets that were a little bigger than a guitar body pre cut. There are three body patterns and three headstock patterns and each could be on any guitar. Then that company went out of business so we reproduced the same fabric patterns in Japan but we needed to purchase a life time supply, so they still have it and still make the FP's made for other counties, I wish they sold here (USA) but they aren't. So the answer is there are three patterns that could be on any guitar so some out there are identical - courtesy of Ibanez sources 2002"

http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu...cs-77-guitars/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the info!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 06:14 PM

fabric=print

It is the same material as the metal designs and is a print on thin material gluded on the body and then got the clear coat. Nothing that special but it looks very nice, not that fancy real thing out steve vai's home. People who wants to sell tells funny stories.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
fabric=print

It is the same material as the metal designs and is a print on thin material gluded on the body and then got the clear coat. Nothing that special but it looks very nice, not that fancy real thing out steve vai's home. People who wants to sell tells funny stories.

If I remember it correctly, I have not seen my Jem77 fp in a few years as it is stored, I have a small chip in the clear coat, that actually goes all the way into the fabric, and it actually is not a print, but fabric, as I can feel the fibre of the fabric. But I might remember it wrong though.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:13 AM

It is cloth/fabric under the clear on the 77FP and NOT like the metal designs.

There are many tutorials online on how to cover a guitar in fabric, and burst and then clear over it to a glassy smooth finish, as per the Jem 77FP.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 PM

Apologies if this is a bit of a thread hijack, but does anyone have a jpg or similar image file for the floral pattern? I've found this image for the FP2, but never seen one for the original floral?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 11:03 PM

Oddly enuf, my 7VWh was painted with paint from Steve Vai's garage
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 09:14 AM

HA!!!!

Tags
1988 , jem 77fp , myths? , original , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode