recent JEMs... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By vyansal
  • 3 Post By TomFieldaway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
recent JEMs...

In the last few years there have been lots of new JEMs and Universes that have been released…
JEMEVO
JEM70SFG
JEM77PBFP
JEM77WDP
JEM777LG
JEM777SK
JEM777DY
JEM777LSK
JEM777LDY
JEM JR Full Vine
JEM whatever PK
JEM whatever YE
JEM7V7WH
UV70PBK
UV71PWH
UV77SVR
UV77WFR
UV77PSN
But when it came up in an earlier discussion, I couldn’t remember more than a handful of them!

In my mind I grouped them like this.

JEMEVO – Just a beaten up 7VWH, mine is in much better condition!

JEM70SFG – The first Premium JEM,
JEM77PBFP – A really like the look of this one but wanted the Edge bridge on it!
JEM77WDP – I recognised that this was a new model but don’t like the look ☹

JEM777LG, JEM777SK, JEM777DY, JEM777LSK, JEM777LDY - I grouped these into one in my mind and was only really interested to see the green ones. The others seem a bit like “runner up prizes”.

JEM JR Full Vine, JEM whatever PK, JEM whatever YE – I know these have a handle, but that’s where my interest ends

JEM7V7WH – this was a cool idea and I would like to pick up a second hand one one day.

UV70PBK, UV71PWH – I completely forgot that these guys were released!

UV77SVR, UV77WFR, UV77PSN – The blue/silver one looked great but the others (to me) fell short (if you’ve seen the ATD prototypes, you’ll know what I mean) these were out of my price range and with only a few of each made I didn’t’ pay them enough attention.

I think the anniversary ones (the new swirls and the dayglo reissues) were in such short supply that to me the buzz was over by the time they arrived. I’ve not seen one of them in person whereas my local “mom and pop” had a UVMC and a PMC on the wall when these came out, but I was still a teenager in school and those purchases were not happening.
I guess I feel like other than the PBFP which I’ve stayed away from because it has the “wrong” bridge, there hasn’t really been anything that was both accessible and exciting ☹
Does anyone else feel like this? Or am I just a grumpy old man?
jono is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
JEM7V7WH – this was a cool idea and I would like to pick up a second hand one one day.

I guess I feel like other than the PBFP which I’ve stayed away from because it has the “wrong” bridge, there hasn’t really been anything that was both accessible and exciting ☹️
The JEM7V7WH was very cool. I hope you get one. Then you will be less grumpy and younger. 🙂
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:23 AM

Re: recent JEMs...

The SFG and WDP would have been a “must have” model for any Jem enthusiast if were Fuji manufactured and 2500-3000$ish priced.
Cyberseven likes this.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:34 AM
site founder 0% owner

great thread. i had begun an article/editorial on this that i'll get updated & post thoughts cause honestly i couldn't care less (objective).

In short there seems to be the perception of NOTHING "TOTALLY NEW" from Fuji (the JEMs some of us old grumps saw released & grew up) with in the last decade. But I really believe the JEM/UV line has expanded much more and is OK leaving old grumps playing/buying their old ones and/or something else. Which is fine. I lump the ones listed as follows.

Totally New
JEM70SFG
JEM77WDP

Redux/Reissue Nostalgia
JEMEVO
JEM77PBFP
JEM777LG
JEM777SK
JEM777DY
JEM777LSK
JEM777LDY
JEM JR Full Vine
JEM whatever PK
JEM whatever YE
JEM7V7WH
UV70PBK
UV71PWH
UV77SVR/WFR/PSN (20 years ago from herc)

Last edited by jemsite; 03-22-2018 at 11:39 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:56 AM

Don't forget the JEM77FP2.
It's a follow up for the FP and a great guitar. IMO that's what a JEM is about. Great design and MIJ. And still in production.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:10 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyansal View Post
The SFG and WDP would have been a “must have” model for any Jem enthusiast if were Fuji manufactured and 2500-3000$ish priced.
not to nitpick but SFG is sorta SOS JEM w/ vintage strat color. Not sure it would light up retail at $2500-3000 do you? To me, enthusiasts were gifted with this one w/ Edge & low cost IMHO.

Likewise Woody at 3x MIJ cost would probably not do well in retail given it's looks & lack of nostalgia.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
great threadJEM7V7WH
I mean, I know this is technically a seven string version of a prior - and iconic - Jem model, but I feel like you kinda have to call the JEM7V7WH a new model, rather than a reissue, you know? If nothing else for it being an alder bodied 7, and the only Vai seven string with the lions claw and monkey grip.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:44 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I mean, I know this is technically a seven string version of a prior - and iconic - Jem model, but I feel like you kinda have to call the JEM7V7WH a new model, rather than a reissue, you know? If nothing else for it being an alder bodied 7, and the only Vai seven string with the lions claw and monkey grip.
You could call it "totally new" and not be wrong or right... which only further highlights the omitted Fujigen 6-strings which were the backbone of the JEM line it's first 20 years.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I guess I feel like other than the PBFP which I’ve stayed away from because it has the “wrong” bridge, there hasn’t really been anything that was both accessible and exciting ☹

Have you ever tried EZII with Edge arm? It feels quite nice, way better than with the original EZII arm, and very close to Edge.
Swapping the arm holder is easy.

And yes, WDP is exiting too. It looks great and the pickups have quite nice, warm sound.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyansal View Post
I basically agree with this, although the SFG never did it for the. However the WDP is a seriously cool guitar and I think in MIJ form would have been really desirable.

Rather than answer the question directly, let me ask a question. What would make people really excited about the Jem? Most artist signatures offer the same exact guitar year after year. The point in the other thread was that the Jem actually has offered a ton of variety comparatively. So are people just not happy with what has been offered? I kind of feel like they did what people asked with the 777 reissues: they made them at FujiGen and made them a "reasonable" price.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:33 AM

Nice stuff long list of amazing JEM. Thanks for sharing it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
JEM77PBFP – A really like the look of this one but wanted the Edge bridge on it!
I feel the same way. Definitely needs an original Edge bridge or at least the Lo-Pro Edge imo.

Quote:
JEM77WDP – I recognised that this was a new model but don’t like the look ☹
Same, not too keen on how it looks but i'm sure it plays nice. Don't remember what bridge is on here.

Quote:
JEM JR Full Vine, JEM whatever PK, JEM whatever YE – I know these have a handle, but that’s where my interest ends
Again, i feel the same way. Just a starter guitar. Seems decent enough though for a beginner. I wouldn't buy one though. I'm sure it's 10x better then those Chinese JEM's that people buy from other sites though. I can't stand those cheap POS's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode