Recommended Guitars??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Recommended Guitars???

sorry for the misplacement of this post. Couldnt think of an apt Forum.

I was wondering when you get to GIT or berkley do they give you a list of recommended guitars, or will they let you play anything you like?

just somthing I wanted to know, since Im never going to actually find out for myself

your never really going to play to your full potential on a sun mustang now are you?

Cheers

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 03:23 PM

LOL... I don't know the answer to your question, but I find it highly unlikely you'd have to have a 'special' guitar to learn to be a good player. Especially since everyone is different, there is no 'one' guitar that will work for everyone. Infact a good player can make a crappy guitar sound pretty good.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 03:27 PM

Reviews: 3
as far as I know, they dont give you anything like a list of recommended guitars, being that their curriculum is based on what YOU want to know and what you want to do with your potential. After all, if youre a punk rocker, a cheap strat knockoff with a hum is just as good as a $2000 j custom or a $20,000 prs dragon right? Point is...They push for you to find yourself on the instrument...not Vai or Gilbert. People generally know what instrument works for them, so I wouldn't imagine they would get into that.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 05:53 PM

no way would there be a set list. the only thing i did hear though, and this was about 10 years ago...a friend of mine went to berkeley and brought a couple strats. he would get weird looks. i guess that's like bringing a flying V to juiliard school of music for some reason. that was awhile ago though, i'm sure it's way different now.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster
no way would there be a set list. the only thing i did hear though, and this was about 10 years ago...a friend of mine went to berkeley and brought a couple strats. he would get weird looks. i guess that's like bringing a flying V to juiliard school of music for some reason. that was awhile ago though, i'm sure it's way different now.
LOL, I think that's weird. I thought Vai went to Berklee and took the brown strat his Mom bought him with him? The one he used on "The Attitude Song" off of "Flex-able".

I'm sure there will be "en vogue" instruments at college as there are in any environment. I remember a time when the N4 was THE cool guitar to have over here, it was simple to look at yet provided the two tones you needed at the time, crunchy bridge pickup distortion and woody neck pickup distortion. Then there was a time when the musicman Steve Morse was THE guitar to own, because you needed to be able to play in any style and sound convincing at any time and a few years back a battered Universe was THE guitar to have for serious lo-end grind and that cool look.

I'm sure the music colleges have thier little cliques just like any other college, and that what instrument you need is determined by who you hang around with and vice versa.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 09:42 PM

For GIT, the handbook says "All student guitars must be pointy. No exceptions. Scalloped frets optional, 2.0mm picks also required.

Seriously, when i graduated from Berklee in '91, Strats were coming back around, actually. People were getting out of all the shred stuff and the 'popular' guys around campus were all doing SRV and the like. I can't imagine anybody ever looking at anybody strange with a Strat anywhere...period. It's an industry standard guitar.

As for requirements? None.

~K
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 11:03 PM

don't be in the 'in' crowd.. just start your own crowd! works for me...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 11:12 PM

what I can't figure out is how PRSs suddenly became THE guitar to own today...outta nowhere
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 12:17 AM

Reviews: 3
Well, I think it happened around the time Santana came back into the spotlight. Of course Creed's guitarist doesn't help. Grrrrr...I really dont like prs's. They look pretty and classy..but as far as the playability goes...no dimarzios, no edge, to flat neck no play! Pointy headstocks are optional, but are quite nice..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

hey thanks folks !

I was just wondering cause in college you have reccomended texts, recommende lab coats, recommended toilet paper (seriously pink andrex apparently doesent leave any little bits on the sides of cuvettes ... so im told ahem ) etc etc...

And when you get seriously into classical guitar you need to get a 2000+ or 3000+ instrument or you wont get anywhere.

life seems to be full of recommended lists, so I thought the professors at berkely would get togethor and make a little list for people.

Thanks for the replies

Steve

Tags
bridge pickup , neck pickup , pointy headstock , scalloped frets , steve morse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode