Refinishing the UV - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Refinishing the UV

i really think it's time to refinish my faithful UV7PWH. I don't care for originality since I dont have plans for selling it.

I was discussing the other day with Tubarao about the refinishing process, but he wasn't 100% sure about it. I'm to going to restore it to the original white, but this time I want it to stay White forever ahahah. I have an '89 charvel that is white as paper still today (18 years).

Does anybody have the exact info on materials? I think i read Rich saying something about the paints and finishes some years ago, but didn't find it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:12 AM

Re: Refinishing the UV

Use the VWH paint, it was specially made not to fade. Not sure what kind it is though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:12 AM

That new RG2550z galaxy white looks like it might be pretty cool too. Not sure how in the world you get any of these actual paints though. Keep us posted on how this goes.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:51 AM

I would go with an automotive paint and automotive clear... very durable and IMHO not as thick as the original paint, but harder...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 AM

+1

You would have tons of color options/variations with a paint that is also designed for outdoor exposure.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:55 AM

show pictures!i think of repaint my uvpwh also...show your guitar!we love to see pictures.maybe i start a topic myself of restorate my pwh.
good luck!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

haha sometimes I feel so dumb, i should´ve made myself more clear

I'm thinking about restoring, but i won't do it myself purely due to lack of skills.

I'll take it to a luthier and ask for the service, but I need to know about the materials so I wont be "tricked" by the guy who will do the service.

All i need is to know the right materials and get it done by someone else, so the guitar wont get yellow/beige again in a couple of years.

Tags
vwh paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

refinishing rg550?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode