Reissue old Universe guitars?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Reissue old Universe guitars??

I think that Ibanez could (note COULD!) reissue the UV7s. i think though that they should reissue just these models.
1. UV7BK (option of having green piramids)
2. UV7PWH
3. UV777P budget model (this isnt a reissue, but i think they should. Alot of people would like it. They could make it like the JEM 555.)

Alot of people think that this is a stupid idea, but if you think that they should OR reissue other guitars, just post it here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 12:10 PM

I think the UV7BK could use a facelift, personally. I never dug the look, it was kinda boring to me. The pyramids would be nice, but it could use a GMC swirled body a la Ken Burtch's/Kirk's. Then I'd be all over it!
~Adam
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

I sopose that having a swirl would be great....BUT, If the swirl Ibanez7 came out it would have to be a ltd edition, It just dosent fit in with the production line AND herc fede and other custom shop painters would be out of buisness. I LOVE the look of the UV77MC but i wouldn't buy 1 for the fact that id feel like im going to drop it (i always feel like im going to fall over into ten UVs and a Mesa Rectifer in shops! ) So i think you should leave swirls to the makers and custom shops! Thats just My opinion, other people are definatly going to disagree!
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 12:24 PM
EKG

As for the swirls, I just don't feel there is a large enough market to justify making a run of them, even in a limited number. The DNA's sold, but at the price, we all know someone sitting on 6 of them right now. I personally love the swirls and I would LOVE to have a DNA.....just a little out of my budget at the moment
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

mabey having new UVs would be a good idea that having old reissues.The JEM has had loads of guitars made but the Universe has had about 5. And at the moment theres only 1 UV. I think having a budget UV (but not so cheap...about the same price as the JEM 555) would be great and id buy it strait away. It could be made in Korea with the Jem 555s. an idea would be

basswod body w/ Lo TRS7 trem (id dont like the TRS but it would keep the cost down) DiMarzio Blaze Hums and single coil, white scratchplate, white binding, fake shell piramid inlays.

If you think this is a good idea just say....I do

prob is alot of people will stop buying 7420s....well they'll go down in profets probably.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 04:54 AM

Personally I've always wanted a reissue of the white universe because I drool over them on a regular basis , And I need to satisfy my quest for one (some day)

Anyway, I don't think a budget universe would really do that well to be honest. There's not that much of a 7string market, and people who really want a UV will most likely either go second hand or get a 7620/7420. I just don't think there's a market for it. In the Jem range there is as they sell more, but the UV line is a different story

I'd love to see more UV models, but I doubt it's going to happen somehow
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

I think mabey Ibanez should at least make a white UV (like the UV7PWH) and call it UV777PWH mabey make a new UV called the UV777SBL (like the new Jem) that would look quite good.

Anyone just put what you think
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 01:34 PM

I Ibanez has enough problems getting new sevens from collecting dust on shelves and one of their endorsees to actually play his signature seven string on a regular basis.

The COULD re-issue UVs....they could also put together a new model shaped like a giant phallus.....neither is terribly likely in my opinion.

The UV7BKs are generally thought of as a great guitar to modify but ugly as sin if left in original state. The UV7PWHs aren't uncommon but it would take a significant price drop from the new models list to make them attarctive, and even then it'd be a niche guitar. The UV777GRs are quaint....but as timeless as an "avacado green" kitchen appliance. The UV77MC would be another niche instrument but not terribly likely either.

Ibanez is having enough problems with the UV777BKs. They're great guitars but shops sell too few of them for them to generally consider having them in stock at all times; most shops have them from special order.

It's been my opinion that one of the inherent issues with the Jem and UV lines have been that they're very "today" and not terribly "tomorrow". Neon colors generally do not make a timeless instrument. Only a handful of Jems and UVs aren't garish to most of the standards and trends of instruments that grow old gracefully.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Yeah but i still think that they should at least have a white UV like the UV777P but without binding.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 04:09 PM
EKG

I think there are enough UV's out there of all the previous production runs to still be able to acquire a decent used one. I would like to see a new rear routed UV, though
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 08:38 PM

UVPWH i considerd selling my soul for one of these....
but then i thought just selling other possesions would be
better for me in the long run
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 12:42 AM

It would sure help the chances of this happening if Steve was actually seem playing one once in a while!! Ahem.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretcher7
It would sure help the chances of this happening if Steve was actually seem playing one once in a while!! Ahem.
Agreed....

I'm actually kind of surprised that the line hasn't been discontinued and a generic PRestige hasn't been put in its place.

Don't get me wrong....I dig the UV777BK....but when the guys whose signature axe aint playing it, it doesn't bode well for sales...
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 12:23 PM

saw a 777bk in queen of the damned..... my favorite part of the movie
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan7620
saw a 777bk in queen of the damned..... my favorite part of the movie
They auctioned off alot of the stuff from that movie including the UV777BK. I remember seeing it on eBay listed as a prop when I was looking for mine about 6 months ago. They wanted something totally absurd for it though; I think it was starting at like $2500 US and didn't have a case.

Tags
access neck joint , custom shop , dimarzio blaze , gmc swirl , herc fede , les paul , les pauls , limp bizkit , maple fret , maple fretboard , morbid angel , neck inlay , neck joint , pearloid pickguard , prs guitar , prs guitars , string bass , swirled body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode