"relic" jem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

"relic" jem

considering the recent trend of releasing "relic-ed" guitars by fender, gibson, and other companies, what would you think of an exact replica of Monseiur Vai's beloved EVO along the lines of what ESP did with Kirk Hammett's guitar?

Personally, it would be a nice collectors item but i couldn't see ibanez doing anything of the sort relying on a custom shop anymore. i think a limited edition release would be quite interesting but the price would probably be outrageous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 04:00 PM

just get a vwh..... after all thats the same as evo..... oh tape up the bridge pick and write "konx" and evo in black marker in the appropriate places..
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 04:09 PM

I will do the terminal 12-inch split in the body for anyone who pays shipping.

But a relic Jem would be wonderful. I'd probably prefer something like Neville though, the relic thing works really well on natural guitars, like the N4 relic that Nuno showed me (not Bettencourt, our Italian Nuno!)
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 04:09 PM

The relic'd Teles and Strats I've played were all outstranding guitars; far, far better than the regular American Strats or even the Closet Classic guitars. They sound clearly better and feel great. The woods are higher quality and the elecronics are clearly different. You can only get the relic'd pickups in a relic'd guitar, you can't even just buy a set. If you haven't tried one definitely look for one on your next trip to a music store.
As for Evo, I don't think it would sell. I don't know that there's anything you couldn't do yourself with a sharpie, some tissue paper and some tape, but Washburn sells an "aged" N4 with a sticker on it for a $300 upcharge. I think most of Vai's fans are sophisticated enough to know they've got Steve's specs in a plain, new VWH, and artificially aging it without great benefit would be silly. The relic Strats are clearly superior playing and sounding, a new VWH is already modeled after Steve's guitar, where can you go from there?

jim
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 06:58 PM

feel free to send me your brand new VWH. I will borrow it for 5 years and abuse it. After that period you can get it back and you will have a relicjem...and you don't even have to pay me for that
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 08:22 PM

You should also put a black edge trem on there...
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 12:07 AM

I dunno, Evo looks different one year to another. They could make various versions, like the "As new but with EVO written on it" Evo, the "Black headstock, a few dings, minimal neck joint crack" Evo, the "Busted up, chrome volume control, Les Paul-autographed, white headstock, busted-ass neck joint (for deluxe un-requested whammy effects), sweaty KONX tape" Evo...
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 12:19 AM

Personally I can't for the life of me understand paying that kind of money for an already beat up guitar, I don't get the relic thing at all
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez otaku
I will do the terminal 12-inch split in the body for anyone who pays shipping.

hey if u get any volunteers i really want to help... :P
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Personally I can't for the life of me understand paying that kind of money for an already beat up guitar, I don't get the relic thing at all
I agree... that's like buying already torn clothes... hell, might as well buy some clothes from a homeless man real cheap, already worn, authentic stained and torn clothes.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
I think Fender relics look cool. EVO, on the other hand, is sad looking, beat up and rather ugly. (I hope I don't get flamed )

I would never pay for relic though.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmeir
I agree... that's like buying already torn clothes... hell, might as well buy some clothes from a homeless man real cheap, already worn, authentic stained and torn clothes.
I saw that kind of Diesel jeans on store once. They had holes all over and looked like someone had pissed on them. The price was double the normal of course. The best part was the warning tag that said they may not last as long as normal model
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekkaM
I would never pay for relic though.
Me neither, I don't get the whole idea why someone would pretend he's been using a guitar for all his life by going out and buying a factory new yet beat up guitar. I'd rather buy a brand-spanking new guitar and add dings and dongs myself by actually playing it (!) and taking it to gigs and whatever. This doesn't mean I don't watch for my guitars and don't care for them. Au contraire. But I say battle scars can be memories too.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 10:41 AM

The charm behind the Fender Relics is that they're nearly identical to the "real deal". I've had a few Relic Strats and have had my current one for the past 3 years. I LOVE IT! I actually sold my '64 Strat to get a Relic, because I wasn't comfortable taking the '64 to gigs. The Relic plays and sounds better than the '64 did, and 99% of all people can't tell the difference from a couple of feet away.

The basis of the Relic series is that you can have a "vintage" guitar that has the same vibe & feel of an original, but that can actually be played out, etc.

The same machinery is used to manufacture the hardware, the same nitricellulose finishes are applied, the pickups are wound by the same people who wound the original pickups, etc. They're completely authentic down to the capacitors, pots and wire that are used. The only differences are that they're stamped "RELIC" in the pickup and tremolo cavities, and they have the Custom Shop seal on the back of the headstock

I personally can't see any value in a "relic" JEM, but...to each their own.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 11:54 AM

Well, personally, I just don't understand why someone wants a relic that looks like a guitar someone else beat up. To me, a 64 strat in Mint condition would impress me far more than a relic'd 64 that looks ready for the trash, they might play fine, but they are still beat up guitars IMO.

And for what they charge!!!! If I'm paying to much for a guitar as it is, I want that arms deep clear that looks perfect! :P

Tags
black headstock , custom shop , edge trem , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , les paul , music store , neck joint , tube combo , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode