Removing the Neck on a 7DBK!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Removing the Neck on a 7DBK!!!

Afternoon everyone.

This as you can probably see is my first post on the Jemsite. I`ve been hiding in the background reading topics but havent actually got to posting yet.

I`d just like to say HOLY!!!!!!! What a website! My life is now complete since stumbling across this little "Jem" of a site. :P

Anyway....I am at the minute awaiting delivery of my first proper Jem, a Jem 7DBK......needless to say its pantwettingly exciting in my house at the minute. I`ve read in a couple of places on the site about removing the acrylic backing that is on the neck by sanding it down, to improve playability.

Now only thing is i`m not exactly okay with removing and sanding the neck on my dream guitar so i`ve decided to have a go at doing a trail run on my RG450 Ltd edition thingy. It`ll be a much better job if I remove the neck, than masking off while the neck is still in place so i have a couple of queries regarding neck removal.

First off, is it just a case of unscrewing the 4 bolts at the back of the guitar at the neck joint area?

Secondly.....as the neck is made up of 2 different types of wood....ie the actual neck and the fretboard itself.....is it ok to remove the acrylic actually on the fretboard wood. (Hard to descrbe without a pic...but its the bit with the fret board markers on it and were you can see the edge of the fret wire.)

Thirdly, after sanding and finishing (thanks to the procedure on Jemsite!) is it handy enough to get the neck located back into place and secured to the body of the guitar?

And lastly...thank god I hear you say!....will i have to re-adjust the tremolo, truss rod, intonation etc when it is back in place?

Thanks to anyone who manages to read all this long winded boll0cks!, and moreso thanks to Jemsite for having one of the most informative sites on the web!

Cheers

Chipie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 11:27 AM

When I sent my DBK neck off to Jeremy at LGM Guitars to get a new inlay job it was a matter of taking off the strings (blocking the trem is not a bad idea before you do this), unscrewing the screws and putting it in a box. When I got it back all I had to do was readjust the truss rod since Jeremy had to make the neck rod straight to do the inlay. I had no problems and it wasn't complicated in the least. A little fine tuning afterwards should really be all you need unless you have shims in the neck pocket. I didn't since that's usually one of the first things I do when I get a new guitar - SHIMS BEGONE! - since I like extra low action.

Good luck!

LJ
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Deno
When I sent my DBK neck off to Jeremy at LGM Guitars to get a new inlay job it was a matter of taking off the strings (blocking the trem is not a bad idea before you do this), unscrewing the screws and putting it in a box. When I got it back all I had to do was readjust the truss rod since Jeremy had to make the neck rod straight to do the inlay. I had no problems and it wasn't complicated in the least. A little fine tuning afterwards should really be all you need unless you have shims in the neck pocket. I didn't since that's usually one of the first things I do when I get a new guitar - SHIMS BEGONE! - since I like extra low action.

Good luck!

LJ
Shims typically improve action.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Shims typically improve action.
Not when they're not needed
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 10:14 PM

forgive me because I barely know what a shim is, but wouldn't taking them out make the action higher?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 11:24 PM

Depends where the shim is, shims can tip the neck forwards or backwards, if it's moving the neck (headstock) backwards, in essence it lowers the action, if it's moving it forwards, it raises it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Cheers folks

Cheers Patrick and folks. I reckon a trail run with my other Ibz will let me know if I run into problems.

Still does anyone have any ideas about the finer details of the sanding that I mentioned in my earlier post?

Much appreciated.

Ps Xlnt forum....I havent got any work done for the last week!!

Tags
fret board , fret wire , fretboard wood , lgm guitars , neck joint , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode