Removing a Sig on a JS1000PB - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Removing a Sig on a JS1000PB

Hi everyone, i just recently acquired a 98 JS1000PB, the thing is that the guitar is signed by Satch on the front, i honestly don't care much for sigs on guitars even if it is from the man himself, so my question would be, is there a safe way to remove it without damaging the paint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:50 PM

Re: Removing a Sig on a JS1000PB

Hi Rafafas, welcome to Jemsite! It depends on what kind of ink the guitar has been signed with - you might just need a soft cloth and it will wipe right off. I took some silver sharpie off a pgm like that - no liquids required. Depending on how long the sig has been there the ink may have very, very slightly stained into the top coat but it's usually difficult to see. Or try using a dri-wipe or whiteboard marker pen, draw over the sig and it will lift the original ink off when wiped again with a dry cloth. Failing that, a little neat alcohol would probably do the trick without damaging the varnish.

Salud!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks GoodVaibes, apparently the guitar was signed in 2000!, it seems that Joe used a permanent silver sharpie, i will try the methods you suggested
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 PM

+1 to the advice from GoodVaibes. Good luck with the signature removal OP!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 06:57 PM

Reviews: 18

I would use goo-gone.

Jimmy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:21 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
Thanks GoodVaibes, apparently the guitar was signed in 2000!, it seems that Joe used a permanent silver sharpie, i will try the methods you suggested
A soft cloth dampened with denatured alcohol will remove all traces of sharpie with zero damage to the clear coat. I did this on an RG that I got off ebay. The moron seller put his name AND social security number on the neck heel.

I also removed silver sharpie from the prestige case using the same method.

Tags
js1000 , sig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode