Removing temolo shims - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Removing temolo shims

I love my JS1200 except for one thing...the curvature of the bridge (in order to match the neck radius) screws up my picking, especially when playing fast across strings, because I'm use to a flatter bridge. Has anyone tried removing the tremolo shims to flatten the bridge out? I assume I'd need to raise the tremolo a bit. Any comments or advice are greatly welcomed.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Re: Removing temolo shims

Doesnt sound like a bright plan to me.
You'll screw up your action,the 2 middle strings(D-G)will have a much lower action than the 2 outer strings(E-E). I dont think this is what your after.
An even action between all six strings will be made impossible.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

What you mention is what I'm concerned about. I expect that my action isn't going to be consistent and I may get some fret buzz on the higher frets, depending on how I try to compensate by adjusting the action. But I also have a Les Paul with a similar fretboard radius and a flat bridge, and don't have issues with it. What I may do is keep the one shim under the D and G, and remove the others.

If this was the only guitar I played, I'd just try to get use to the curvature of the bridge, but switching between guitars throws me off.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:05 AM

Reviews: 37
Cool Re: Removing temolo shims

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_shaw View Post
What you mention is what I'm concerned about. I expect that my action isn't going to be consistent and I may get some fret buzz on the higher frets, depending on how I try to compensate by adjusting the action. But I also have a Les Paul with a similar fretboard radius and a flat bridge, and don't have issues with it. What I may do is keep the one shim under the D and G, and remove the others.

If this was the only guitar I played, I'd just try to get use to the curvature of the bridge, but switching between guitars throws me off.
GET A RG550 IF YOU WANT THAT. A js is modeled after a strat neck and thats why i sold mine. (sucked).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 PM

Sounds like the JS is not the right guitar for you. Trade it for an old radius with a wizard neck. Put the right Dimarzios in it and your set.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Sounds like the JS is not the right guitar for you. Trade it for an old radius with a wizard neck. Put the right Dimarzios in it and your set.
Radi have ultra necks, not wizard necks. Not quite the same, and still more curvy then a wizard neck.

S540's on the other hand...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:30 PM

Some 540R LTDs have Wizard necks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_shaw View Post

Yeah, you can give it a try and see if it works out for you.
if not you can change it back,simple as that.
An other option would be to reshape the board to a compound radius.
But this would set you back a few bucks also because you would have to refret it.
Or ofcourse as mentioned in previous posts,swap the neck.

Tags
js1200 tremolo shim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode