Replace Cracked JS100 Neck with Jem neck - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
ggl

Thumbs down Replace Cracked JS100 Neck with Jem neck

My JS100 (1994 black model) has a crack in the neck and I got it checked by a luthier who confirmed it is unrepairable so I need to replace it. I thought that placing a Jem Neck in it might be cool but I have read that you can only buy the exact same model neck from Ibanez and you have to send the old one in. I have some pictures of my js100 here of this.

Any thoughts on this would help, what would you do in a situation like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 07:26 PM

Re: Replace Cracked JS100 Neck with Jem neck

Bad idea even if you COULD get a Jem neck. Because the Jem neck has 24 frets and the JS has 22, they're different lengths. They're not designed to be interchangable.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 07:27 PM

The crack is confined only to the area near the nut, right? If so, based on those pics it looks like it may be repairable. Check out Rich's tutorial at ibanezrules.com.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
Bad idea even if you COULD get a Jem neck. Because the Jem neck has 24 frets and the JS has 22, they're different lengths. They're not designed to be interchangable.
yeah you wouldnt be able to do it as intonation would be impossible due to the different scale length , sorry man
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 07:50 PM

based on the pics very much repairable with actually not very much effort and evven less tools
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:24 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem_fanatic View Post
yeah you wouldnt be able to do it as intonation would be impossible due to the different scale length , sorry man
The neck may have different overall lengths, due the the total number of frets, but they are the exact same scale length (25.5").
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
The neck may have different overall lengths, due the the total number of frets, but they are the exact same scale length (25.5").
yup, you wouldn't have any tuning issues or intonation issues it's the fact that it has 24 frets vs 22. If you tried to put the Jem neck on the JS guitar the last 2 frets would run into the neck pickup. So to get it to fit you'd need to route a bigger neck pickup cavity to place the neck pickup towards the bridge more.

Also, the Jem neck has a AAJN and the bolt setup are completely different so to get it to fit you'd need to modify the body or modify the neck. IMO not worth it, buy an RG if you want that style or just buy a new JS100 or upgrade yourself to a JS1000.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
ggl

ok the feedback/ideas has been welcome from everyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannifive View Post
The crack is confined only to the area near the nut, right? If so, based on those pics it looks like it may be repairable. Check out Rich's tutorial at ibanezrules.com.
It does extend up towards the tuners slightly as you can see in the pics although the length of the split is not highlighted so well in the pictures. It's also split in three places (by the middle of the holes, top & below each hole)

I checked out that great tutorial on a split neck repair and it looks like I may be able to do this, it's worth a shot at least....

I have one question with repairing this, Would I have much problems putting the neck back on the the body again? I guess I will have to get the truss rod all set up correct plus all the intonation setup can get tricky....

With the Jem neck question, well I will have to forget that, it was just an idea.

My plan now after thinking about it is to try to fix it first and if that doesn't work too well then I will try to see if I can get hold of a neck on eb or maybe try to sell it this like it is as "needing repair" - I would most likely take out the dimarzios for my next guitar though...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:11 AM

Ouch, what happened?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
ggl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalAe86TypeR View Post
Ouch, what happened?
I'm not even sure, I do remember bumping it against a wall a few months ago so maybe it was that but I never noticed it until recently (about 3 weeks ago). Maybe it was just from the changing weather patterns here in Aussie?

I have been reading some other threads like this one here, it seems some people replace this neck if they want to improve it so maybe looking at another neck like the one used in the js1000 or an aanj neck ( I have no idea what this is yet) could be an option if the repair job doesn't work.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggl View Post
I'm not even sure, I do remember bumping it against a wall a few months ago so maybe it was that but I never noticed it until recently (about 3 weeks ago). Maybe it was just from the changing weather patterns here in Aussie?

I have been reading some other threads like this one here, it seems some people replace this neck if they want to improve it so maybe looking at another neck like the one used in the js1000 or an aanj neck ( I have no idea what this is yet) could be an option if the repair job doesn't work.
AANJ= All Access Neck Joint
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:13 AM

Reviews: 18

It really is too bad you can't just buy a neck from Ibanez direct without having to send the core.

Jimmy
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggl View Post
I have one question with repairing this, Would I have much problems putting the neck back on the the body again? I guess I will have to get the truss rod all set up correct plus all the intonation setup can get tricky....

With the Jem neck question, well I will have to forget that, it was just an idea.

My plan now after thinking about it is to try to fix it first and if that doesn't work too well then I will try to see if I can get hold of a neck on eb or maybe try to sell it this like it is as "needing repair" - I would most likely take out the dimarzios for my next guitar though...
Taking it off an putting back on should not be a problem at all, intonation should not change and you may not even have to touch the truss rod.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
ggl

Quote:
AANJ= All Access Neck Joint
ok I see now

Quote:
It really is too bad you can't just buy a neck from Ibanez direct without having to send the core.
yeah, I think they cost a fair bit as well but I guess sending the neck in is not a big deal and I would not need it again or do you mean I have to send the rest of the guitar in as well to verify I need one? ... at a guess maybe it would cost about $400 US plus shipping costs from australia to US could be another $100? if I was gonna buy a new one or replace the neck and spend any sort of cash like that then I would prefer to get a js1000 neck and what they cost is anyone's guess? If I did that and replaced the trem I would nearly have something as good as a js1000 since it has dimarzio's in it already and similiar wiring to the 1000. As for buying necks then I think using eb would be the best idea in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
Taking it off an putting back on should not be a problem at all, intonation should not change and you may not even have to touch the truss rod.
that's good to hear then, I will go shopping next week and find some suitable glue etc and get started and will be sure to update this thread on how it goes....
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Vendor

I have a JS1000 neck off a new guitar where the nut screw broke off in it. I've Dremmeled it mostly out but it still needs a little attention, in fact I'd have it thru drilled for a regular nut. In case you need.

Tags
aanj neck , access neck joint , jem neck , neck joint , neck pickup , pickup cavity , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode