Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Replacing Edge push-in bar with screw-in collar bar?

778 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
Hi, I just got my first Jem and I'm in the process of setting it up.

I wanted to swap the push-in bar for a Floyd screw-in collared bar, so I removed the bridge, unscrewed the collet that the bar pushes in to, and found that the Floyd screw-in collet fits fine, but the top of it doesn't sit flat.

That is, the piece the bar screws in to is designed to sit flat against a level surface, but the top of the Edge is not flat.

It seems to work ok, but isn't quite right.

Anyone done this mod?

#2 ·
I've done this many times over. Now, with the newer thicker carbon fibre bar, I haven't bothered anymore.

The top of the edge should be flat. To be honest with you, I have to very slightly drill out the hole...I'm talking very slight, almost like a ream. This was the only way I was able to fit the Floyd collar into each one that I modified. The oversized part of the collar at the top must sit flush with the bridge to work properly. The main issue is, while the bar is easy to put in and no more washers to wear out, it frequently comes loose and can be a pain.

#3 ·
You want one of these:

http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/upgrades/tremolo-arms/push-in-style-arm

It doesn't sit perfectly flat thanks to the knurled insert part, but it's close enough, IMO, and it's a much better arm and holder than what Ibanez uses.

Really, I should just get around to swapping out the rest of my Edges for OFRs, but they're both comparable enough (aside from the arm holder) that it's not a really high priority.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.