Restauration of a Butchered FP and a Custom Parker Fly (pics of both) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Restauration of a Butchered FP and a Custom Parker Fly (pics of both)

Well, a couple of weeks ago I made a mistake and bought a butchered FP. It had a coat of black paint over it that made the floral pattern barely visible... plus the neck was clearcoated in a high gloss finish and the knobs and pups colours were wrong.

Ihad to sand the black paint wthout going through the original clearcoat, but I didnt know how much of it was left since they probably sanded it to paint it over with black. It was risky but I decided to go through with it. The front ended up pretty well, the back didnt go so well but its acceptable. I bought the knobs and as soon as I meet with marianozz, it will at least have 2 pink paf pros as it should (the bridge pup is a black evo at the moment).

Im posting a coupe of pics for you to see how its comming through:

Here is the front, you can see the HUGE difference in colour in the parts were I got trhough the Black paint:

Here is the Back before I did anything to it:

And here is the guitar "finished" (its not really finished, but it is for the moment) coupled with a Custom Made Parker Fly I recently bought (I have to swap the bridge for a piezo equipped wilkinson in the next weeks):

Hope you like them.

The parker will improve a lot with the new tremolo and new knobs that will match the sperzel locking tuners it has. And I think the pink Paf Pro will also improve a lot the look of the jem.

Here are a couple of additional pics:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v493/RCB/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 05:13 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Restauration of a Butchered FP and a Custom Parker Fly (pics of both)

Good job, man! The only thing left is try to find the mad man who painted that beatuty in black and **** him!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 05:15 PM

props for saving that sweet guitar!

Good Job!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 06:03 PM

Wow. That looks really nice considering you are not an expert. I tried sanding down an Epiphone I had a few years ago and the result was I completely ruined the body.

Very nice Parker BTW
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 06:22 PM

Good job, looks great : )
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Gex

Good job, Doc.

Might need a little more sanding on the top left horn, on the front.

I would seriously love to know whats wrong with the idiots that do such terrible things to expensive guitars. Its mind-boggling.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
Good job, Doc.

Might need a little more sanding on the top left horn, on the front.

I would seriously love to know whats wrong with the idiots that do such terrible things to expensive guitars. Its mind-boggling.
Yes it needs a little more sanding there, and a lot more sanding on the back (there are several tones of black in the back, and I even had to paint over with black in the lower horn because the original clearcoat was damaged over there, and I didnt have the painting tools to make a proper sunburst finish). I decided to leave the coat of black near the edges in the back because I asumed that there were several bumps, dings and chips over the edges.... and after spending about 20-30 hours working on the guitar.... well. I decided It was good enough. The other reason is that, Im no expert and there was always the risk of ruining the job done so far.

Its not perfect, it will never be a full and perfect restoration. But at least, now its a Floral Pattern. Hopefully, when I get toghether with marianozz, an the guitar has the other pink paf pro, it will be one step closer. If Im lucky enough, Ill come through a pink single coil or pup cover.

Ill probably keep this guitar since I worked a lot on it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Gex

Yeah. . .the pink pickups will be tricky. If you buy them new, they're going to be glowing hot pink. What you need are some aged ones, that fade into that almost-orange color. . . (I actually LOVE that color)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 11:04 PM

Looks awesome, nicely done, RCB, you did a great job.......I have always wanted an FP.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 11:08 PM

Looking good...nice work!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 11:37 AM

Nice Duvet cover (the last picture)...
Of cos, nice touching up...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
Yeah. . .the pink pickups will be tricky. If you buy them new, they're going to be glowing hot pink. What you need are some aged ones, that fade into that almost-orange color. . . (I actually LOVE that color)
Well the Paf Pro tha marianozz has is not new. I dont remember if it is as faded as the one in the FP, but Im prety sure that its close enough.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:02 PM

Thumbs up Re: Restauration of a Butchered FP and a Custom Parker Fly (pics of both)

I felt sick when i looked at the before pic's!- what sort of idiot did that to this nice guitar bro?
anyway she is looking good thanx to you bro a FP Jem was saved!
good work!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:15 PM

Glad you managed to restore it to its former glory. The before pic looks like a nightmare
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Nice save

Tags
bridge pup , locking tuners , paf pro , paf pros , parker fly , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , sunburst finish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode