Restoring a 2002 JS1000 - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 10:08 PM
Contributor

Re: Restoring a 2002 JS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
https://www.reranch.com/reranch/view...finishing+poly

There's the thread. Friggin amazing looking color man. Nice work.
that's so much better than the 2450 MCP. I miss 22 fret JS guitars, I mean like, new production models...
OCDemon is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 11:21 PM

I do too OCDemon. I think they not only sounded better, but they looked so much better. Something about the dimensions... Just grabs me.

Last edited by JsXLine6; 02-15-2020 at 08:29 AM.
JsXLine6 is online  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 08:45 AM
Contributor

I have three of the 24 fret models, 2410 2450 and 2480. I don't think there's any difference in sound, I mean the alder guitars sound great but that's not about frets, for me it's about the look, they just looked better. and I don't really care about having two more frets
OCDemon is online  
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 08:51 AM

There's a noticeable difference in the neck pickup for me. I loved the paf Joe. The satch track is close but still isn't quite the same. Especially coil tapped.
JsXLine6 is online  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 10:04 AM

I've never played a 24 fret JS.
The 22 fret ones play great and are really nicely balanced. I think the only time I've ever wished I had the extra 2 frets was when trying to play Eugines Trick Bag. Which I still can't do very well and let's be honest it's more than the missing frets stopping me nailing that one 😉

Back on topic that purple finish looks great!
FireEagle likes this.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 12:59 PM

Very nice work!
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
There's a noticeable difference in the neck pickup for me. I loved the paf Joe. The satch track is close but still isn't quite the same. Especially coil tapped.
This brings up an interesting question. Should I stick with the PAF Pro and FRED? Mind you, my Satch fandom goes back to when I was like 7 and Blue Dream came out. Those are the pickups I grew up knowing Satch used.

Are the PAF Joe, Mo' Joe, and Satchur8 pickups any good in comparison? Now obviously they're "good" in that they ended up in production guitars and I'm sure Joe used them. But in comparison to the classic configuration, I have no idea what might be more preferable. Unfortunately, YouTube comparison videos seem to be few and far between.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 12:04 AM

I have the satchur8 in a mahogany guitar and a basswood guitar. It sounds insanely good, very thick and full tone. It's high output though. The Fred according to DiMarzio has an output of 305, the satchur8 is 375 and has an alnico 8 magnet which gives it the increase in output. It does have nice dynamics for a high output pickup though. Especially with a high pass filter.

I have 2 JS guitars with the mo Joe and they sound excellent. I actually removed the Fred because I didn't care for the tone character. The mo Joe is the Freds bones... With a bit more balls and clarity. It's output is 320. It's the Fred... But with "more". One of my guitars has the mo Joe and paf Joe and it's my favorite for tones with double humbuckers. The paf Joe is by far my favorite neck humbucker. Go to DiMarzio's website and read about them.

I personally wouldn't own a guitar with the Fred, I removed it because it sounded dark or... Flat, it lacked something in tone. Though I loved the singing feedback that the Fred, mo Joe and satchur8 have. For a basswood body... The Mo Joe or satchur8 is a great upgrade.
JsXLine6 is online  
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 09:17 AM
Contributor

I have JS guitars with all combinations pretty much FRED PAf Pro, FRED PAF Joe, Mo'Joe PAF Joe, Satch Track Mo'Joe, Satur8 sustainiac. I think that they are all good. can't say one is clearly better but I do really like Mo'Joe PAF Joe a lot. I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them. My least favorite is Satur8, but I got used to it
OCDemon is online  
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDemon View Post
I have JS guitars with all combinations pretty much FRED PAf Pro, FRED PAF Joe, Mo'Joe PAF Joe, Satch Track Mo'Joe, Satur8 sustainiac. I think that they are all good. can't say one is clearly better but I do really like Mo'Joe PAF Joe a lot. I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them. My least favorite is Satur8, but I got used to it
I agree with you on the satchur8, it took a bit to grow on me. But I found I liked it a lot more when I lowered it. It had to be a bit lower than my guitars with the mo Joe. It just drives the preamp noticeably harder, especially with clean channels. But once I found my preferred height I actually loved it.
JsXLine6 is online  

Tags
ibanez , js1000 , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in