Restoring a 2002 JS1000 - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Re: Restoring a 2002 JS1000

I think it'll pop a whole lot more when the refinish is done. But, that has to wait for now. But yes, I am generally not into cosmo hardware. Much prefer black or chrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 03:07 PM

What Locking nut did you find to replace the original one with? I have the same year Js1000 and cant find a new nut.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempoman08 View Post
What Locking nut did you find to replace the original one with? I have the same year Js1000 and cant find a new nut.

Rich from Ibanez Rules ended up getting me a nut from a JS100, which mount through the back of the neck. But the height is proving to be an issue. I need some shims to raise the action towards the nut.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. Not much to report. My refinish had to be delayed due to COVID. I am open to suggestions on who could handle such a job, if anyone has any recommendations.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 04:53 PM

That's weird because a js100 has a 17" radius finger board where a 1000 has a 10" radius. Schaller offers a 10" radius nut... But you'd still have the problem with it being a rear mount... And it is completely flat on the bottom. Rich is definitely your best bet for a genuine ibanez js nut. He can get Everything else, I imagine he'd be able to order you a nut for like... A js24xx series neck, I would think they were pretty much the same, I could be wrong of course.

I've had a problem with the nut sitting too high with the past 2 custom necks I've had made. I used a perfectly flat sanding block and 80 grit sand paper to carefully sand it down flat. It's tedious, and If you're not carful you can sand it at an angle. But I've never had a better shimmed nut on a guitar. If you just need to shim it higher, gotoh offers shim made of brass with their replacement nuts (their nuts are a 14" radius btw). You may be able to find them. I'm pretty sure stewmac sells floyd nut shim.

Last edited by JsXLine6; 10-05-2020 at 05:15 PM.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectdc1 View Post
Sorry for the lack of updates guys. Not much to report. My refinish had to be delayed due to COVID. I am open to suggestions on who could handle such a job, if anyone has any recommendations.
I'm sure there's folks who will help with the refinish, depending on where you're located going local might be best. I just Google or look on Facebook for them as well as get a sense of who does good work. If you're unable to find anyone I'm happy to help, but with the caveat I'm just a guy with a day job who does this on nights and weekends.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
That's weird because a js100 has a 17" radius finger board where a 1000 has a 10" radius. Schaller offers a 10" radius nut... But you'd still have the problem with it being a rear mount... And it is completely flat on the bottom. Rich is definitely your best bet for a genuine ibanez js nut. He can get Everything else, I imagine he'd be able to order you a nut for like... A js24xx series neck, I would think they were pretty much the same, I could be wrong of course.

I've had a problem with the nut sitting too high with the past 2 custom necks I've had made. I used a perfectly flat sanding block and 80 grit sand paper to carefully sand it down flat. It's tedious, and If you're not carful you can sand it at an angle. But I've never had a better shimmed nut on a guitar. If you just need to shim it higher, gotoh offers shim made of brass with their replacement nuts (their nuts are a 14" radius btw). You may be able to find them. I'm pretty sure stewmac sells floyd nut shim.

It was Rich who recommended the JS100 nut. In fairness, the radius isn't really an issue. It's the height that is the problem. So I need to get some of the individual shims per side, due to the placement of the JS1000's truss rod adjustment bolt. A standard flat-bottomed nut won't fit on the JS1000 neck due to the bolt being raised in the center. The JS nuts accommodate for this. So, I just need to get those shims and I'll be ok. $10 shipping on a $5 set of shims from Stew-Mac though. That's criminal. So I'll have to wait until there's some other things I need so I can bundle that shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derin View Post
I'm sure there's folks who will help with the refinish, depending on where you're located going local might be best. I just Google or look on Facebook for them as well as get a sense of who does good work. If you're unable to find anyone I'm happy to help, but with the caveat I'm just a guy with a day job who does this on nights and weekends.

I've casually done the research and ultimately I don't know who to trust for a complete refinish job. The guy I used previous I trust implicitly as he works for a major guitar manufacturer and his work is what is sold to customers on their multi-thousand dollar guitars. Unfortunately, his schedule doesn't allow for side jobs anymore. That may change down the road, it may not. Hence why I was looking for someone else. But again, it's a trust thing. I've been burned before on refinishes. So for something like this, I really need to know the person doing the job knows what they're doing and will do the job right.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectdc1 View Post
I've casually done the research and ultimately I don't know who to trust for a complete refinish job. The guy I used previous I trust implicitly as he works for a major guitar manufacturer and his work is what is sold to customers on their multi-thousand dollar guitars. Unfortunately, his schedule doesn't allow for side jobs anymore. That may change down the road, it may not. Hence why I was looking for someone else. But again, it's a trust thing. I've been burned before on refinishes. So for something like this, I really need to know the person doing the job knows what they're doing and will do the job right.
No worries man, I'm completely with you on that. Yeah, I can't compete with your guy, just a "medium" amateur for now.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 12:33 PM

Not sure if this will help but...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291688433807

Is this something you may be able to use?
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 09:11 PM

I just received that Gotoh nut yesterday and and it came up short just like the Floyd rose R7 did. I cant find anymore with the truss rod access anywhere, Did the one from Rich have the truss rod access? I wonder if I do find one by chance that fits width wise and has a 250mm radius if I could just cut the groove out with a dremel or grinder. Thxs for the help everyone.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 07:37 AM

So I have been playing with the idea of refinishing some of my guitars. When I came across this I just had to post it. It's 2k clear coat. This stuff is a 2 part catalyst clear coat in a can. It's a legit Urethane that will harden just like any store bought Ibanez. The best part is... it can go over regular spray paint. Whether that is rustolem or... duplicolor.

The link is a guy I follow on youtube. He explains how this clear works, it's not your normal spray paint. He does this stuff for a living, he uses a primer... then uses duplicolor for his base coat (color). That stuff is an acrylic based lacquer so it takes a week to gas off and cure. Then he uses 2k clear a week later to clear coat it. This stuff has changed my whole approach to what I may do. It gives you so many options because it is such a nice clear, and it can clear over anything really... There are a LOT of videos all over youtube about 2k clearing. Also there is a company on amazon named Kustom Canz. They sell urethane in a can products too. The number of colors to choose from is awesome. Though their procedures should be followed at their website on how to achieve the color that is shown in the picture. I figured this is something you would be interested in knowing about projectdc1.

Tags
ibanez , js1000 , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode