Restoring a 2002 JS1000 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 15
Restoring a 2002 JS1000

Hey all, new member here. I've just acquired a 2002 JS1000 for a great price. But, with that great price comes a project. Finish has some dings and scratches in some sad places on the body and headstock. Ibanez logo looks to be corroding somehow. Pickup rings are worn and corroding. Trem looks to be in the same boat. Pickups look decent but the tape is filthy from what I can see Neck is in good shape but I can feel the bubinga stripe, so it may need some work there too.

It's not all bad news. The frets and board are in good shape and the pickups work, though I am going to re-tape them.

I have a refinish scheduled for May. I have some color ideas in mind, leading contenders are a candy green or candy blue. But I'm open to suggestions. Likewise, I am going to try to clean the bridge up as best I can, but I am leaning towards replacing it with a chrome Edge with rings, knobs, and tuners to match. Does anyone have any tips or tutorials on how to best clean up the existing bridge?

Thanks all.

Pics:





















projectdc1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 02:44 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dade City, FL
Posts: 434
Re: Restoring a 2002 JS1000

I had a similar experience except with a 2006 - those are great guitars to find for cheap.

Route I went was to swap out the Cosmo Black hardware with Chrome hardware from a JS1200 - fortunately I was able to sell the JS1200 with Cosmo Black hardware to get some $$$ back.

At the end of the day, I had the guitar custom painted with a JS25ART finish: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqLwm-X6--9hgpZP..._GSDQ?e=ksFEf6

Good luck on your project!!!

-sc-
scarello is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 06:42 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,266
Reviews: 120
Re: Restoring a 2002 JS1000

That hardware will likely come up looking like almost new chrome hardware if you polish all the components with a metal polish such as Auto-sol. I've done this with a bunch of hardware, and it looks so much better when done.

Restoring a corroded bridge ? Lone Phantom

Old post from my blog, but it definitely works well.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:03 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 238
Awesome find man. If the hardware is pitted... It will not come out. If you use metal polish it will shine but the texture will remain. When it comes to refinishing I've always loved metal flake candy paint! It just shimmers and looks so damn good. I refurbished a 540 Radius last year, repainted it an emerald metallic green. Looks awesome! It's similar to the HAM Js guitars but doesn't change to purple. It's an early 90's ford paint code.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/144t...w?usp=drivesdk

Finding hardware is hit or miss. Unless you bite the bullet and buy new. Make sure you keep your bridge saddle shims though if you wind up getting a replacement edge from some other model that isn't a satch guitar.
Edwood likes this.

Last edited by JsXLine6; 02-06-2020 at 10:11 PM.
JsXLine6 is offline  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 15
Re: Restoring a 2002 JS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
That hardware will likely come up looking like almost new chrome hardware if you polish all the components with a metal polish such as Auto-sol. I've done this with a bunch of hardware, and it looks so much better when done.

Restoring a corroded bridge ? Lone Phantom

Old post from my blog, but it definitely works well.

Thanks for the tips and link! That cleaned up nice!


Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
Awesome find man. If the hardware is pitted... It will not come out. If you use metal polish it will shine but the texture will remain. When it comes to refinishing I've always loved metal flake candy paint! It just shimmers and looks so damn good. I refurbished a 540 Radius last year, repainted it an emerald metallic green. Looks awesome! It's similar to the HAM Js guitars but doesn't change to purple. It's an early 90's ford paint code.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/144t...w?usp=drivesdk

Finding hardware is hit or miss. Unless you bite the bullet and buy new. Make sure you keep your bridge saddle shims though if you wind up getting a replacement edge from some other model that isn't a satch guitar.

That Radius looks great! Thanks for sharing. I'm more of a lime/emerald green guy myself, so that's the leading contender right now. But the a candy midnight blue is also tempting me.



Yeah, the hardware is what it is. I'll do my best with it, either polishing it up like LonePhantom suggested, or just cleaning it up and getting as much rust off as possible. Given that I am already having the guitar refinished by a notable pro, I'll probably bite that bullet and get a new chrome Edge and hardware.



Question regarding the skunk stripe on the neck if anyone can lend some advice. I can feel the bubinga swelling out a touch. Should I assume it will need to be sanded out and refinished as well?
projectdc1 is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:02 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 238
I've never heard of a stripe bulging out... The only part of wood on the neck that is exposed it the fingerboard. Is the neck warped at all? Gathering that the hardware is pitted and the wood is swelling... I'd be worried that it was left in a damp place causing all those symptoms. It wouldn't hurt to get some gauges on that neck to see if it's the only problem. If all seems well, if the feeling of that stripe doesn't bother you, then leave it be. But if it's going to annoy you... Even knowing that it's like that. Then you may need to sand it out.
JsXLine6 is offline  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 15
Re: Restoring a 2002 JS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
I've never heard of a stripe bulging out... The only part of wood on the neck that is exposed it the fingerboard. Is the neck warped at all? Gathering that the hardware is pitted and the wood is swelling... I'd be worried that it was left in a damp place causing all those symptoms. It wouldn't hurt to get some gauges on that neck to see if it's the only problem. If all seems well, if the feeling of that stripe doesn't bother you, then leave it be. But if it's going to annoy you... Even knowing that it's like that. Then you may need to sand it out.

I plugged it in and fiddled with it just to make sure the pickups were functional and what not and I didn't feel anything odd with the neck outside of the stripe issue. It will likely drive me insane, so I may have it sanded out a bit. Obviously gonna have to be careful about that, as I'd hate to change the profile much.
projectdc1 is offline  
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:58 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dade City, FL
Posts: 434
Re: Restoring a 2002 JS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
I've never heard of a stripe bulging out... The only part of wood on the neck that is exposed it the fingerboard. Is the neck warped at all? Gathering that the hardware is pitted and the wood is swelling... I'd be worried that it was left in a damp place causing all those symptoms. It wouldn't hurt to get some gauges on that neck to see if it's the only problem. If all seems well, if the feeling of that stripe doesn't bother you, then leave it be. But if it's going to annoy you... Even knowing that it's like that. Then you may need to sand it out.
I think the only thing I've ever seen with the skunk stripe was maybe a finish crack on the seam.

Dried out maybe?

-sc-
aesthyrian likes this.
scarello is offline  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 15
Re: Restoring a 2002 JS1000

Question regarding the original Edge tremolo. Were I to get a new Edge tremolo for this guitar, would I need the specific JS model, or would the standard one work just as well with the proper saddle shims?

Thanks!
projectdc1 is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 01:52 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 238
The original edge will work fine. All you need to do is remove the shims under your middle saddles to reuse on the replacement. So even if you can find a good price on a used one in great condition, it can be from any Ibanez model, just make sure you keep your old shims.

And if it doesn't have shim then it has a different base plate meant for a 9" radius board. you can always buy some Floyd rose saddle shim and shim the new(ish) bridge you get.

My js24p has shim under the saddles. so saddle shim will work just fine.
aesthyrian likes this.
JsXLine6 is offline  
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 15
Re: Restoring a 2002 JS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
The original edge will work fine. All you need to do is remove the shims under your middle saddles to reuse on the replacement. So even if you can find a good price on a used one in great condition, it can be from any Ibanez model, just make sure you keep your old shims.

And if it doesn't have shim then it has a different base plate meant for a 9" radius board. you can always buy some Floyd rose saddle shim and shim the new(ish) bridge you get.

My js24p has shim under the saddles. so saddle shim will work just fine.

Good to know! Yup, mine has shims. I'll hang on to them.
projectdc1 is offline  
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:03 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Re: Restoring a 2002 JS1000

Great project! I did the exact same thing in November with a black pearl JS1000 and ended up going with a "Muscle Car Purple" finish, which turned out really nice. You can see all the details on the ReRanch refinishing forum (looks like I still can't post links), just search for "Stripping and refinishing poly"

Regarding hardware, I had some of the same issues with the cosmo black. I have power coating equipment and attempted to chrome the trem, knobs and pick-up rings (it wouldn't have worked well on the tuners, so just bought new Gotoh ones). Honestly the chrome powder coating didn't turn out that great, not bright/shiny enough, more like a gray chroming. So I ended up purchasing new knobs and pickup rings, but kept the trem and will just deal with the mediocre chrome. I looked into getting it all professionally re-chromed locally, but with a basic setup fee and service it was going to be a minimum of $75. Still cheaper than a new Edge, but I just wanted to get it done (BTW - purchasing an at-home chroming kit was cost-prohibitive too, about $200-$300). I really wish I would have know about LonePhantom's trem cleaning page and AutoSol, would've saved me some headache, oh well.

Anyways, I think it'll be a great project, I really enjoyed mine. Happy to answer other questions.
derin is online  
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 15
Re: Restoring a 2002 JS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by derin View Post
Great project! I did the exact same thing in November with a black pearl JS1000 and ended up going with a "Muscle Car Purple" finish, which turned out really nice. You can see all the details on the ReRanch refinishing forum (looks like I still can't post links), just search for "Stripping and refinishing poly"

Regarding hardware, I had some of the same issues with the cosmo black. I have power coating equipment and attempted to chrome the trem, knobs and pick-up rings (it wouldn't have worked well on the tuners, so just bought new Gotoh ones). Honestly the chrome powder coating didn't turn out that great, not bright/shiny enough, more like a gray chroming. So I ended up purchasing new knobs and pickup rings, but kept the trem and will just deal with the mediocre chrome. I looked into getting it all professionally re-chromed locally, but with a basic setup fee and service it was going to be a minimum of $75. Still cheaper than a new Edge, but I just wanted to get it done (BTW - purchasing an at-home chroming kit was cost-prohibitive too, about $200-$300). I really wish I would have know about LonePhantom's trem cleaning page and AutoSol, would've saved me some headache, oh well.

Anyways, I think it'll be a great project, I really enjoyed mine. Happy to answer other questions.
I just searched out your thread. That guitar turned out great! Love that color!

Yeah I plan on just replacing all of the hardware I think. I'm just not crazy about cosmo. The chrome will go great with whatever color I end up going with.
projectdc1 is offline  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:56 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 238
I agree about the Cosmo black. Now if it was a metal flake orange color with Cosmo black hardware... That would look awesome! But the chrome hardware was why I always liked the js1200 over the js1000... Black Pearl would have looked better with chrome because the contrast would make the hardware pop.
JsXLine6 is offline  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:01 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 238
https://www.reranch.com/reranch/view...finishing+poly

There's the thread. Friggin amazing looking color man. Nice work.
JsXLine6 is offline  
Reply

Tags
ibanez , js1000 , satriani

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome