retro specs for now on? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

retro specs for now on?

hey there!i would like to ask if somebody knows if the tremolo unit will be from now on Edge.. or maybe later (2011) will be Lo-Pro?
its a scoop question i know but do post any news you might know..and whats the fuzz about that?is the Edge buzzy when lowered?
lastly what about the necks?will reduce to 3pcs or 1?
sorry for the big post i would like to know about those things as i might buy a FP2 during springtime..
thanks , Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 AM

Reviews: 9
Re: retro specs for now on?

Hey, I'm pretty sure I get what you're asking so here's my view;
They do appear to be bringing back the Edge, however this is pretty much only for the Reissue models. I wouldn't expect to see it appear on production guitars.
Ibanez has always been about innovation and moving things forward, hence designing things like the Edge Zero and 5pc Necks. The FP2 has the same new 5 piece neck and will continue to do so. Even the UV77RE-MC had the bubinga stripe down the back of the neck which (I don't believe) was on the originals.

As for the quality of the Edge, it's great, very sturdy and natural feeling. As for the buzz, this is dependant on your setup. You can with JEMs get the action pretty low without having too much buzz when you pull the trem right back. I personally find the Lo-Pro better, but that's just my view.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
Hey, I'm pretty sure I get what you're asking so here's my view;
They do appear to be bringing back the Edge, however this is pretty much only for the Reissue models. I wouldn't expect to see it appear on production guitars.
Ibanez has always been about innovation and moving things forward, hence designing things like the Edge Zero and 5pc Necks. The FP2 has the same new 5 piece neck and will continue to do so. Even the UV77RE-MC had the bubinga stripe down the back of the neck which (I don't believe) was on the originals.

As for the quality of the Edge, it's great, very sturdy and natural feeling. As for the buzz, this is dependant on your setup. You can with JEMs get the action pretty low without having too much buzz when you pull the trem right back. I personally find the Lo-Pro better, but that's just my view.

Hope this helps.

The edge has reappeared on the high end JS and JEM guitars due to (I believe) a combination of artist request and public demand. The Japanese senior management love the Edge Zero and last I heard were not keen to phase it out from the other guitars (note even the J-customs now come with the Edge Zero)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

every 7VW and FP2 from now on have the edge mates and the point is i knew that its a nice tremolo unit but since i came across Rich's description on ibanez rules i stood to have a second thought.he says ''upgrade'' to lo pro for the FP..
the joint on the FP2 is the old classic joint.is it the same on the new 7vw?
hehh i have a bothered mind dont i??
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimqiousis View Post
every 7VW and FP2 from now on have the edge mates and the point is i knew that its a nice tremolo unit but since i came across Rich's description on ibanez rules i stood to have a second thought.he says ''upgrade'' to lo pro for the FP..
the joint on the FP2 is the old classic joint.is it the same on the new 7vw?
hehh i have a bothered mind dont i??
Rich's choice of words for upgrade, really (and I'd wager he'd admit) should say "change".

The FP has a cutaway block heel with a rectangular neckplate. The yvwh has the sculpted, recessed screw All Access Neck Joint.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Vendor

"If anybody feels the EDGE is not low enough profile for them the trem can be changed to a Lo Pro for a small upgrade fee."

Some people take things far too literal. The Lo Pro is definitely no better in any way but profile.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
"If anybody feels the EDGE is not low enough profile for them the trem can be changed to a Lo Pro for a small upgrade fee."

Some people take things far too literal. The Lo Pro is definitely no better in any way but profile.
oh ok so thy have lower action with the lo - pro?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 06:21 PM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimqiousis View Post
oh ok so thy have lower action with the lo - pro?
No, it is the physical profile of the tremolo where the fine adjusters are held.

I lies flatter to the guitar body on the lo-pro.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

See this is what happens when I don't check your site for myself just to make sure
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
No, it is the physical profile of the tremolo where the fine adjusters are held.

I lies flatter to the guitar body on the lo-pro.
thanks man!!had this doubt for awhile!

Tags
retro specs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode