Returned Jem Woody And Got A Jem Jr - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Returned Jem Woody And Got A Jem Jr

Hi , i returned a jem woody as i was dissapointed with its build quality . It was a Beautiful looking piece of art , but it had sharp edges on the body and felt kinda unfinished and fragile . I didn't think it would hold up over the years .

I have a SFG and it's just stunning in looks and playability , not to mention much better build quality .

I tried out the Jr and fell in love with it , the build quality to me was far superior to the WDP WOODY . I can't put the Jr down , the neck is just stunning to play . I have a question though , it's not a 5 piece neck like my SFG , it's much slimmer . It's 1 piece , can anyone here tell me there thoughts on this neck . It has a thick rosewood board and obviously the full vine inlay , but it's such a thin neck . Is the quality good , is it likely to warp ? Everything else on the Jr is moddable , I just need reassurance that the neck will hold out .

Thank you in advance , I'm new here , what a great forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:16 AM

Re: Returned Jem Woody And Got A Jem Jr

That's not great to hear about your Jem 77WDP purchase as I was potentially saving for one of these later this year.

I don't have much direct experience of the Indonesian made models as most of my Ibanez guitars are older and were made in Japan but I do have a Premium 77BFP which seems quite decent so far and certainly better than I might have expected from comments and reviews I read before ordering.

I did briefly pickup a 70V SFG in a store once and that also looked OK in terms of build - it just the rough paintwork in places etc. I didn't really play it though as the action was slide guitar high so wouldn't mean much without a setup. I was still tempted at the time but didn't buy one as I already have a 7VWH with evolutions anyway so considered it too similar and then later there was the intonation problems for a while that Rich mentioned on here.

The 77WDP having different pickups and wood sounds interesting and visually it looks totally unique so would made a nice addition. I had also read more good reviews of premiums recently including from reviewers who were more critical of their first encounters (e.g and AT10 got a great review recently) so I figured that quality control had improved.

In an ideal world I'd get one from Rich but the exchange rate isn't very favourable at the moment and even via dealers here Ibanez is expensive.

The Jem Jr does seem quite decent for the money and better still with upgrades but I'm not sure many will actually get lots of upgrades as used Jem7VWH models wouldn't be much different in price by the time you have added new Evolution pickups, a new scratch plate and a new bridge with any modifications to the cavity.

Hope you enjoy yours and I wouldn't worry about the neck a lot of older models are not multi-piece and just fine.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

Yes I have heard this about the woody. Friend of mine returned one as well . It is a beautiful piece though. Its a shame on the build. I also have a Sfg and it is awsome. The quality is better as these were the first of the Premiums. Never held a Jem jr but hear they are a nice piece as well. If you are going to be buying more Jems make sure you get Fujin made ones. Just tip.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 04:02 PM

I like my woody just fine...no flaws that I can see at all. Quality seems on par with all of the other 2 Jems I own too.
Got mine from Rich, and I know he looked it over well enough before sending it. He certainly seems to way to go if you order online...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Banned

If you got it from Rich your good to go.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattww View Post
That's not great to hear about your Jem 77WDP purchase as I was potentially saving for one of these later this year.

I don't have much direct experience of the Indonesian made models as most of my Ibanez guitars are older and were made in Japan but I do have a Premium 77BFP which seems quite decent so far and certainly better than I might have expected from comments and reviews I read before ordering.

I did briefly pickup a 70V SFG in a store once and that also looked OK in terms of build - it just the rough paintwork in places etc. I didn't really play it though as the action was slide guitar high so wouldn't mean much without a setup. I was still tempted at the time but didn't buy one as I already have a 7VWH with evolutions anyway so considered it too similar and then later there was the intonation problems for a while that Rich mentioned on here.

The 77WDP having different pickups and wood sounds interesting and visually it looks totally unique so would made a nice addition. I had also read more good reviews of premiums recently including from reviewers who were more critical of their first encounters (e.g and AT10 got a great review recently) so I figured that quality control had improved.

In an ideal world I'd get one from Rich but the exchange rate isn't very favourable at the moment and even via dealers here Ibanez is expensive.

The Jem Jr does seem quite decent for the money and better still with upgrades but I'm not sure many will actually get lots of upgrades as used Jem7VWH models wouldn't be much different in price by the time you have added new Evolution pickups, a new scratch plate and a new bridge with any modifications to the cavity.

Hope you enjoy yours and I wouldn't worry about the neck a lot of older models are not multi-piece and just fine.
I hope you get a good WDP and are happy with it , I just didn't feel the one I had was worth £1500 . It was obviously nothing like the one that Steve Vai has , it seemed very delicate .

The SFG I felt was worth the money , every penny .

The Jr for the price just blew me away , it's alot of guitar for a much smaller price tag . Thanks for the reassurance about the neck
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem4life View Post
Yes I have heard this about the woody. Friend of mine returned one as well . It is a beautiful piece though. Its a shame on the build. I also have a Sfg and it is awsome. The quality is better as these were the first of the Premiums. Never held a Jem jr but hear they are a nice piece as well. If you are going to be buying more Jems make sure you get Fujin made ones. Just tip.
The SFG is awesome , I might have struck lucky with my Jr , it's so amazing , outstanding neck . One day I hope to own japanese jem fingers crossed
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Wing View Post
I like my woody just fine...no flaws that I can see at all. Quality seems on par with all of the other 2 Jems I own too.
Got mine from Rich, and I know he looked it over well enough before sending it. He certainly seems to way to go if you order online...
That's cool I'm glad you got a good one
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:44 PM

I have a Jem Jr 2015 as well that I bought to mod. It now has Evos, Lo-Pro EDGE Bridge and Lo-Pro studs and anchors. Everything works as it as it should. Plays really well and I can agree with the OP on the great action and general over-all playability.

I also have a Jem 7VWH and a 77FP and comparing them the Jem Jr is not bad at all.

The price makes it such a great candidate for modding and personalization!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleandy4 View Post
I hope you get a good WDP and are happy with it , I just didn't feel the one I had was worth £1500 . It was obviously nothing like the one that Steve Vai has , it seemed very delicate .

The SFG I felt was worth the money , every penny .

The Jr for the price just blew me away , it's alot of guitar for a much smaller price tag . Thanks for the reassurance about the neck
The reaso for that is because steve got one made in Japan.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Banned

Steve' Woody was made at Hoshino Usa in Calafornia. Check YOU tube video. His has abalone in the inlay and EDGE trem system. The production's do not have the abalone in the tree of life. They also have Edge 2 trem set . Also in video the ibanez logo does not say Premium.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 07:56 AM

The top is completely different as well, and the pickguard is a real burl.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:59 PM

I purchased a Jem jr. because of price and feel as well. I went to purchase a blue floral but instead went with the jem. Since then many upgrades.....
Schaller tunners
Perlized everything
Floyd Rose "PRO" tremelo
All evo set
True jem neck locking nut
Pots and selector
All done little by little and had fun doing it. Results are incredible playing and sounding guitar for 1/3 a 7vwh would have cost me. I can't put down my Jem jr. Never looked back at a Blue floral and/or a Woody.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 03:14 AM

It's not an Ibanez but I recently picked up an Indonesian, Epiphone-made Kramer Vanguard. I was a little weary knowing how poorly Gibson-owned stuff is lately, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well that Vanguard was made. I need to set her up but I got her for a low price and I feel that I can chalk this up on the "win" board. My old RG350EXZ was a really nice guitar too.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
It's not an Ibanez but I recently picked up an Indonesian, Epiphone-made Kramer Vanguard. I was a little weary knowing how poorly Gibson-owned stuff is lately, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well that Vanguard was made. I need to set her up but I got her for a low price and I feel that I can chalk this up on the "win" board. My old RG350EXZ was a really nice guitar too.
This is totally off the wall but I just picked up a Fender Nashville Tele MIM and it is stunning for $730. I had never played one before this purchase. The fit and finish is superb and the neck is amazingly fast. The action was set out of the box better than my JEM SFG, although I did have to adjust the neck pocket on it slightly, but I did the same on the SFG. After playing and buying Ibanez for years this was a pleasant surprise!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode