RG really a low priced Jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

RG really a low priced Jem?

In the history on this very site, it quotes a guy who wrote an electric guitar history book, who says that the Jem and RG series were introduced at the same time (1987 NAMM) and the RG was 'a lower priced derivative'...

That really confirmable?

-Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:27 PM

yeah. The body dimensions are the same and so is the trem. Thats where the similarities stop though. A big difference in quality (typically). Some high end rgs, prestiges, j-customs, tend to have an equal quality level and its especially depending on the player as well.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:34 PM

well, the RG is a low priced jem like a volkswagon is a low priced porsche,

The RG and the Jem share the same body shape, but that's where it ends basically. With the exception of the edge tremolo's on the higher end RG's and Jem's.

The Jem of course has the obvious differences visually with the monkey grip and lions claw, and typically the different inlays, but also the neck profile is different, the neck width, scalloped frets, electronics, and in many cases the fit and finish.

However, if you don't care about the neck and pickups, then yeah, I guess you could call it a low end Jem, like you could call a beetle a low end 911.

A RG is a Jem with less horsepower and lower end handling LOL

You can argue the same thing with the RG7's vs Universe, but just like the Jems, there are differences.

I posted in a thread about the cost difference's, but I'll do it again,

Lets be realistic and assume that you want a Jem, vs the RG, but you buy an RG thinking you can convert it.

So, lets assume an RG550 used from ebay, for $350 compared to a JEM777DY from ebay for $750, both realistic prices.
Ok, first of all, lets make the RG functionally the same as the jem, ignore the cosmetics for now.
RG @ $350
new dimarzio pickups $180
Upper fret scallop $30
Neck joint modification (assuming the DY vs older RG orinal neck) $50
Body refinish from the neck joint. $150

Ok, now we have a total of $770 into the RG. lets add cosmetics,
Vine inlay or pyramid inlay $400
Monkey grip and lions claw $140
Jem style input jack $40
now we'll add those to the RG, $1350, the price of a new VWH!!!!!!!!!! and, the VWH is alder, with a lo-pro trem.

So, maybe that's a far fetched approach, there are lots that change the pickups in a Jem too, but, even with all those mods, you still have a wizard neck vs a jem neck, if you like that, fine. But basically, the bottom line here is, you can't compare a Jem to a RG, same as you can't compare a Porsche to a VW.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:38 PM

an rg 270 is a volkswagon. A 550 is more of a honda civic. lol. Still a good guitar IMHO. They both tune to A 440 dont they?
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:42 PM

I was only using the VW vs Porsche comparison because VW is built by Porsche, like the RG's and Jems are both Ibanez's hehehe.

The honda, that would be like a Jackson, not a bad car, but sure as hell not a porsche
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:58 PM

Lets be a little more honest though. The jem is like the mclaren f-1. The good rgs are more of a 6 cylinder mustang. Flashy enough to get laid in but still holding a few things back. lol
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:51 PM

Once you get into the higher end RG's like the 3120 vs. Jem they're equally fine guitars, just a matter of taste.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:14 PM

hmm...

My personal opinion... the vwh rocks, it has alder body and evo pups.... I would take this over any other Jem with basswood.

RGT3120... I'd take it over all other models(except vwh), but if it was alder wood with evo pups I'd rather have it than the vwh! I love the js guitars, but there again basswood... now mahagony or alder, I'd take a mahagony or alder js over anything(even vwh)!

I would say a high end rg is as good as a Jem. But when you talk about the vwh, then that thing is in a leage of its own.

in short the rg3120(rgt3120), Jemvwh and even some of the S prestiges are IMO on equal ground... just personal choice. However the vwh... dang, its a sweet guitar BUT it sounds 'like' Vai which some hate.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:18 PM

I tend to look at the RG as the lower cost JEM. They're basically the same, and as the original poster pointed out, the RG was designed to be a lower-cost option while still retaining a lot of the look of the JEM series.

Personally, I'd take an RG over a JEM simply because I like to mod 'em my way. I'm probably replacing the pickups in whatever I buy, so that cost is added to either guitar. I like bound necks. I save on the base model, then apply the difference to make the guitar look and feel the way *I* want it to - not Steve Vai. I don't buy signature guitars because they are someone else's idea of a great guitar, not necessarily mine.

I still haven't found a JEM that could kick my RG1200's ass in the price range. The VWH is close, but cost - plus the fact that it has no binding - puts it out of the RG's league.

Some people look at it like - "Hey, the JEM has less wood due to the routings, I'm getting ripped!"

This is my opinion, and it's like ice cream - there're 31 flavors for a reason.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Agreed on just about all those points... lotta cool responses. I guess my main question to clarify, was.. the RG was pretty much spawned with the Jem, and didn't get manufactured beforehand... if that's the case, all RG players owe quite a lot to the Jem, and imo the Jem should be even dare I say more popular than it is? Heh, maybe it IS that popular (as in just about anyone who has ever heard Ibanez knows that a Jem is...cuz to be honest I didn't at first )

-Alex
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:29 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: RG really a low priced Jem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBHome
In the history on this very site, it quotes a guy who wrote an electric guitar history book, who says that the Jem and RG series were introduced at the same time (1987 NAMM) and the RG was 'a lower priced derivative'...

That really confirmable?

-Alex
I see little worth discussing here.

The RG/Roadstar was available before the JEM, as were some other experimental "superstrats" (maxxas) from ibanez.

Vai signed on to ibanez and when he did, he created the JEM line. At the same time, the entire Ibanez lineup was improved and the JEM's baby-brother RG line was revamped and improved too. End of story in my book... glen
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:52 PM
Vendor

When EXACTLY did the RG come out? Anybody have an 86' catalog? They were not in the 85'. Steve's personal Jem proto's were done in 86' the way I figure the timeline of them getting him a Maxxus right before Christmas 85'.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:55 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
When EXACTLY did the RG come out? Anybody have an 86' catalog? They were not in the 85'. Steve's personal Jem proto's were done in 86' the way I figure the timeline of them getting him a Maxxus right before Christmas 85'.
the revamped RGs (ie namechange from roadstar) were in stores when the LNGs were orderable and SK and DYs were flowing... glen
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:57 PM
Vendor

I'd still like to see an 86' catalog, and the imposible to find 87'.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: RG really a low priced Jem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBHome

That really confirmable?

-Alex
I see little worth discussing here.

The RG/Roadstar was available before the JEM, as were some other experimental "superstrats" (maxxas) from ibanez.

Vai signed on to ibanez and when he did, he created the JEM line. At the same time, the entire Ibanez lineup was improved and the JEM's baby-brother RG line was revamped and improved too. End of story in my book... glen
THAT information I did not know and couldn't find it elsewhere on the web (no RG origin sites believe it or not), save that Maxxas was available earlier. Thanks. My curiosity is satisfied.

Tags
alder body , body shape , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , edge trem , electric guitar , fret neck , jem neck , jem neck profile , monkey grip , neck dimensions , neck joint , pyramid inlay , scalloped frets , signature guitar , steve vai , upper fret

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode