RG user for JEM. DBK or V? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

RG user for JEM. DBK or V?

I am used to the RG fretboard on Ibanez. currentlly I am playing a 320DX. I have heard that RG users will find the DBK more comfortable than the VWH or VSBL. Is this true?

I am planning to get a JEM as soon as this weekend.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 01:04 PM

They say the 7D's neck is a slimmer profile...I find the 7v's to be a little thick, so in answer to your question, yes the DBK is probably more for you.

from the jemsite 'specs' page:
"JEM7DBK Note - ...The neck profile is a bit thinner (front to back) than the traditional JEM neck as requested by Steve Vai. It is described as unique to the JEM but "kind of a Wizard neck at the nut but not at the 12th fret".
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Does this mean the DBK and the VWH is the same on the 12th fret? I concentrate most of my playing around the 12th.

Thanks
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 01:59 PM

why don't you try out the guitars at your local stores and see how you like them? trying them out beats a million words.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

I have tried 2 guitarcenter stores. One store carries a DBK. This DBK is not setup properly. Non Carry the VBSL or the VWH. I visited S a m a s h, and they have the VWH and the VSBL. Here too both are not setup well, though the BSL plays better than the VWH.

So I don't have much of a choice....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 08:42 PM

If you check out the specs on the jem necks you will find that the DBK neck is indeed smaller. I had several RG's before getting the DBK and VWH and I use the DBK everyday versus in the mood for the VWH. The DBK is more comfortable to an RG user and has the better pickups. You can't go wrong with it and it costs less...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 04:12 AM

Dude, I have an RG550 and a DBK. The DBK's neck is very thin like my RBM1 and is effortless to play. I love JEM necks and play an old 777SK mostly but feel that you would definately like the feel of a properly set up DBK. I think I'm gonna go for the chrome vine inlays from LGM guitars though. Let us know what you do, as usual you can't lose with most of these.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones feedback and encouragement.
Last night I played all 3 JEM guitars- DBK,VWH adn VBSL. I liked the VBSL the best, but I am going to get a VWH because of the color. Also, the VWH I played might not have been setup well. I agree the DBK is more comfortable since I am used to the RG, but the VWH and VBSL are much faster guitars. It's a killer machine for 'shredding'.

Someone is selling me a VWH for $1050.00 and I am going to grab it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 05:41 PM

It's back!!! I'm resurrecting this thread since I'm facing this decision currently (DBK vs. VSBL), and feel like I need some help. Here's a list of pertinent differences between the two models:

VSBL vs. DBK
- Alder vs. Basswood body. Probably prefer alder, but I'm not really sure
- Evos vs. Breeds. I like a bit of softness to the tone, I may prefer Breeds. My only point of reference are the stock V7's and 8's on an RG
- Jem neck vs. Super Wizard. I definitely prefer the extra thickness of the former
- Scalloped vs. unscalloped 21->24. Prefer scalloped!
- Color & style points - I prefer the DBK's industrial look & finish
- Let's say, hypothetically, $1000 vs. $700.

This is an impossible decision. Overall I prefer the VSBL, but let's say hypothetically that a week ago I dumped $700 on a different hypothetical Ibanez deal, so I wouldn't mind saving the $300 for a couple of cases (hypothetically speaking, of course)! Which do you feel is the better value, and what other factual differences would you throw into my list?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 11:43 PM

I guess the hypothetical source decided for me, as it sold out of the DBK.

VSBL is coming, I CAN'T FRIGGIN WAIT! lol
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2003, 07:44 AM

One of the last hypothetical DBKs was delivered to me house Friday night
I also own an RG570.. To me the neck shape is very very similar but the fret work is worlds apart.. My 570 w/Jumbo frets has almost a scalloped feel to it, and I own two scalloped neck guitars so I feel comfortabe making that statement I prefer the smaller frets on the DBK.. Killer guitar for the price paid!!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

I am now the proud owner of a VWH
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 12:50 PM

oh, nice. I was going to post and say that the VWH is the way to go for you, as the 350 would actually have the Wizard II neck profile which, while not nearly the same design as the Jem neck, is at least closer to the same thickness as the Jem- the Wizard neck, found on higher end RG's, is clower to the "thinner" of the Jem neck profiles, like the one on the DBK.

Confused yet? Don't be, just play!

-Drew

Tags
basswood body , chrome vine , chrome vine inlay , jem neck , jem neck profile , jumbo frets , killer guitar , lgm guitars , neck shape , scalloped neck , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode