rg1077xl vs. uv777 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

rg1077xl vs. uv777

pros and cons of both
which one would you rather choose, why etc.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:23 AM

The main difference, of course, is that the RG1077XL has a 27" scale, and Universes have a 25.5" scale. That's what you have to consider first.

They're both really nice guitars. I think the choice would have to be made based on cosmetics, the scale differences, and the fact that the 1077 isn't available new anymore (at least not in the US). You migh find a used one for around $800 (I'm guessing).

I like the 27" scale, personally, and that's why I bought the 1077. If you prefer 25.5" guitars over 24.75" guitars, the XL might be worth considering.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 11:35 AM

Can't decide? Buy both. That's always the best thing to do : D
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

the 1077s are not manufactured anymore?? you've got to be sh*tting me, this can't be! I was hoping i'd buy a decent seven string ibanez in 2003, this just can't be true - they still have it listed on the website tho - are you sure? didn't ibanez just discontinue 2027??
(btw. I'm not in the US, I live in Europe)

if it CAN be bought new here - this is what I thought:
the UV is very expensive
the RG has the 27 inch scale
the UV looks better (not THAT important) and has DM blaze p-ups (the 1077 has some kind of customs - better or worse than blaze??)

I think the price factor is my main concern (can't buy both hehe) - that and the 27 inch scale which gives a better sound for the 7stringers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 01:50 PM

The impression I'm getting from other discussions (do a search on the 1077) is that the 1077 will not be offerred by Ibanez in the U.S. in 2003. I think it's still being built, and sold in other countries as the RG2077XL. Sorry - I wasn't sure where you're located.

No official sources, to my knowledge, have said anyhthing about it, so the status of the 1077 is still a rumor. All I can say positively is that U.S. retailers do not have it.

My impression of the pups on the 1077 is that they are very close to Blazes tonally. The extended scale gives you a snappier, more percussive, more piano-like tone. The low string, for the same string gauge, sounds deeper and holds its pitch better. Higher strings do not sound as soft and round.

Holding certain chords can be hard at the low frets. Unless you use lighter strings, the added tension can make fast playing harder, and longer playing time can be more taxing. I have no trouble with that, personally.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 09:22 PM

Universe all the way...

I played every 7-string I could get my hands on. It came down to one of two: ESP's M-107 or the UV777BK. Looks-wise, the ESP was WAY short. Feel-wise, it was a very wet feeling neck, the wood was considerably heavier and the neck was uncomfortably thick for its width - not qualities I wanted. However, it *DID* scream unbelievably when you played it. Everything from Korn type lows to screeching highs when played through my rack.

And that was about to be all for me... nobody ever carried Universes in Orlando. Then, Guitar Center did a grand opening. They told me for a 25% down, they'd order the guitar and if I didn't like it, they'd refund me 100% of my deposit. So I let them do it. What'd I have to lose? And when it showed up... I spent an hour in their booth playing with the amps and the guitar. Unbelievably warm. Light. The neck is very thin. The increase in width over a six was minimal. Above all, it was comfortable to play. The ESP didn't have that. And... it was a display model from the Atlanta store... with a teeny-tiny scratch (that later buffed out)... and I got the case for free, with $100 off the guitar. Total out the door: $1477 for a virgin UV777BK. And worth every penny.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 09:37 PM

the uv777bk is a bad ass guitar, its my favorite, but i would change the pickups if you play metal the stock are a little muddy at high gain
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Judging by the people's comments I read all over the net and here I'd go with the uv777 (bear in mind I have no chance to try the guitars before I buy them) - but the money is too much for me

and now i'm worried about the 27 inch and whether I would be able to stretch my fingers enough or solo on it

damn
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 03:53 PM

Reviews: 30
I have played both and like the feel of the UV a little more. Though they are both sweet guitars. Tuning can be a major factor in how well you like them, the 27" scale makes it better for lower tunings, but if you like standard tuning, the 1077 may seem to tight when it comes to string tension. But that's just my two cents worth. Good luck finding the right one for you.

Tags
higher strings , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

UV777 still in production?
how to setup uv777

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode