Rich! Tough Question (I hope) :) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Rich! Tough Question (I hope) :)

Rich, + All
After many months of perusing this most excellent site (and I don't mean to sound like Bill & Ted)
What do you feel are the advantages/disadvantages of the JS neck shape as opposed to the JEM?

Obviously I know you're a JS lover and surely it aint just 'cause of those Donnies , and again, every neck has it's relative merits.
But what turns you on about our Satch favourites?

Being an owner of a JS1000 and a JEM7DBK and an SK ( congratulate me guys, the DBK is brand new ) , I find many a difference in feel, though not neccessarilly (sp?, definately) playability/speed.
Once I've had more time with my DBK I can hopefully contribute a worthy review.

Steve
^------ Lookin' for a more experienced JS lover's thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:59 PM
Vendor

First, the necks are very comfortable in my hand, I prefer the medium frets, I also prefer the straight headstock. But it's more the total package, the body shape/look/feel and comfort are just as big a factor, and I've always been a 22 fret HH kinda guy. Got no use/want/desire for that single in the middle so why should I keep catching my pick on it!?!?! I also love the feel of JEM necks (old or VWH more than the new thinner necks like a DBK) and almost prefer the tone of the EVO's (been wanting to try them out in a JS!), but overall I'll always gravitate to the JS for many reasons. If I was allowed a second choice it would a JEM, for tone and feel. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 01:18 PM

I think the JS have a more Fender-like feel overall.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 01:49 PM

I totally agree. *To me the JS neck feels pretty similar to a strat, but perhaps not as thick and with slightly larger frets. *It isn't as wide as the Ibanez necks I have been used to playing (Wizard). *

Now that I am playing my JPM a lot it makes the frets on my 7V feel teeny weeny and the JS frets feel micro-mini. *

I have weird hands though, I have really long "hand-meat" but short fingers. *My left hand ring finger is also 1 cm shorter than it should be since I chopped part of it off when I was a kid so having a smaller neck is an advantage for me when trying to play certain chords and stretches. *Given this, I still prefer the bulkier 7V and JPM profiles (especially with the large frets on the JPM). *I guess playing a 570 for so long just made me used to it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 05:21 PM

I love the feel of the JS since I'm a strat fan but like the JS body. But I still wish they'd make a JS neck with 24 frets...or at least buy a replacment JS neck with 24 frets.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 06:22 AM

Is there a big difference between the JS100 and JS1000 neck?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 09:40 PM

lgascoig, by handmeat, I hope you mean palms?!

Tags
body shape , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jem neck , medium frets , neck shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode