Root beer - It's all good - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2001, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Root beer - It's all good

So, I'd been keeping an eye open for a little something different in guitar land recently. Hadn't seen many guitars I was particularly taken with. Then I stumble across this:

This is one of the few Jem RB's I've ever seen that i really like the finish on. There seems to be so much variance in the wood grains and finish shades that no 2 RB's are alike. For some reason, this one spoke to me. (Probably the fact that it's in minty mint condition, pretty rare for a 13 year-old guitar.) And it's so old-school looking!

Anyway, who else out there has RB's? Do the pink pickups drive you as nuts as they drive me? If so, did you swap 'em out? (I always dug the sound of PAF Pros in an FP, so I'm hoping for a similar sound & feel here.) I've seen some with white pickups that look pretty sharp. I was thinking zebra coils would look pretty cool, too.

--B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2001, 09:43 PM

Root beer

I'm about to get me one soon. (my first Jem too )Mine will be even more clear in finish. Much like in the photos section, page 2. I would just love one similar to the one on first page... * I dig the RB much... *Ill give a full rewiew when i get it, in 2-3 months... * Till then, ill play my strat... hehe
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 01:47 AM

Root beer

Congrats Brent,

I was actually getting ready to buy that guitar, the little red devil on my shoulder won the battle for my will (I'm weak when it comes to guitars), I click the page to do the buy it now... and it was GONE.

Enjoy the guitar.

Mike
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 02:08 AM
rvj

Root beer

Congrats! How about black pick-ups to match the pickguard. How does it play? Enjoy that guitar. --rvj
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 02:22 AM

Root beer

awesome man, if you got that RB, it'd be cool...

personally, i'd go for white pickups too...

sort of that Bad Horsie/Neville look... very minimalistic, yet very classy. and that finish/wood grain is really good too, very nice and "woody" looking.

PAF Pros are awesome too... and lol, you could keep those pink ones as backups... or hell, put em in a strat or another one of your guitars that needs new pickups and a bright color to liven it up a bit! pink though... (?)

hmm... what were they thinking... lol

anyways man, the axe is awesome. i dig the old-school minimalist look too (I want a PBK!! heheh). RB's are definitely underrated guitars...
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 07:20 AM

Root beer

That's a real nice one. My RB is very similar to the one pictured above. Only mine is full of dents and dings. It's at least just as good a player as my 10th. Maybe because I'm a little afraid to play the 10th too much. And the pickups? I'm waiting for a set of green, pink and yellow to replace the pink. In H-S-H, green coil, pink coil = H, yellow single coil, pink coil, green coil.
I'm thinking of making it my custom Jem, a swirl project most likely. Just have to win the ATD raffle prize at Jemfest2K1UK...

You go Simon!

Euph
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 08:07 AM

Root beer

Nice one, Brent. *I'm with you on the faded pink pups...anything will look better. * Cream Dimarzios might look nice and warm.
Greg
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 08:20 AM

Root beer

Congrats I think thats the best RB I've seen to date. As far as the pups go just leave them the way they are! Adds character and makes it that much more unique. With black pups it looks to plain.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 08:26 AM

Root beer

Like Scott said "the best i've seen to date". Realy cool grain and for my taste, i'd change the p/u color.
Enjoy and congrats
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 08:52 AM

Root beer

I just picked an RB up off of Ebay a couple weeks ago myself. *Mine also has a really nice finish which shows the woodgrain well. *(It also has a lot of dings, but I bought it to be my 'travel' guitar. )

Mine came with the PAFPros replaced with cream Super Distortions. *The cream actually looks a lot better than I expected, but I'm not real keen on the Super Distortions, so I will be replacing them soon. *I'm still undecided on color myself. *Black looks too much like an RG550, white seems a little bright and draws attention from the woodgrain (my attention anyway, what little of it there is. ) *The cream looks nice, but seems to 'vintage' for a Jem. *I'm probably going to either stick with the cream, or try purple...more subdued than the pink, but still says 'Jem.'

I did a Photoshop mock-up of an RB with most of the colors Dimarzio offers, let me know if you're interested and I can send you a copy.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 10:39 AM

Root beer

Orange or yellow might look cool on an RB, depending on the tint and shade of the individual finish.

I've always liked the RB. A friend of mine in school had one, and i always admired it.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Root beer

I like Cream pickups in a rootbeer. That and cream/black - cream - black/cream zebra coils.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 02:10 PM

Root beer

Congrats! Very cool finish indeed.
Enjoy!
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Root beer

Thanks! I don't actually have the guitar yet (just won the auction yesterday), so I haven't actually played it. But I'll be sure to give my $0.02 when it arrives. I'm sure it'll get played a lot then!

I might experiment with some different pickup colors. I can visualize the cream/black zebra coils looking pretty cool. I may also consider some of the brighter colors--maybe even a new set of pink ones (it'd be better if they matched & weren't so faded). Black seems like too easy of a choice, and yeah it really would look like an RG570 with a hole in it then.

Kuma--I'd love to see the Photoshop mock-ups of the RB with different color pickups. I was thinking about doing that myself, but if you've already done it I'd be glad to mooch off of your efforts! *

--B
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 03:26 PM
Vendor

Root beer

I still have 2 sets of NOS pink left! hehe

Tags
custom jem , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio strap , dot inlay , dot inlays , eric sands , paf pro , paf pros , scalloped frets , sunburst finish , super distortion , swirl project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode