Rootbeer Jem Question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Rootbeer Jem Question

Okay I'm toying with the idea of getting my first Jem. A few years ago I was in a guitar shop that had one. The only one I've ever played. It was a used shocking pink model. I played it for a while and the guitar just blew me away. I was very depressed about my RG for quite some time after that. Anyway what I'm wondering is...is there any difference in quality in the jem lineup? Is a Rootbeer jem going to play and sound as good as that shocking pink one? I really like the way the rootbeer looks and I think I could get one for a good price becasue they are not as "fancy" as some of the other models. The other Jem I like is the BSB one. Will a BSB and Rootbeer basicly play and sound the same??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Vendor

Other than the fact the RB has the thinnest neck ever put on a Jem [as well as the VDY and VSK], yes
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Other than the fact the RB has the thinnest neck ever put on a Jem [as well as the VDY and VSK], yes
Does that mean that the Wizard neck on the PBK isn't as thin?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 02:42 AM

Probably a dumb question, but is the RB just a PBK with different cosmetics? Are they the same in terms of sound and feel?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 03:41 AM
Ibanez endorsed

I thought the VDY and the PBK were the only 2 JEMs that had the ultra thin neck. I dont recall my VSK being ultra thin but it has been SOME time since I played on one so I could be wrong. Actually now that I think of it, I am sure te only 2 JEM's to have the ultra thin wizard neck were the PBK and the VDY.

The RB will sound a bit different due to the lack of the heavy paint job that the neon colored guitars had and the fact that the SK had a maple fretboard vrs the rosewood of the RB. I happen to really like maple fret boards. I always noticed a subtle difference in tone with my neon colored JEM guitars and all the other JEM guitars. I just figured it was the mammoth killer paintjob they did on the neon ones (if you have ever seen a neon colored guitar chipped you would see how thick the paint job is.) I would try out a RB first if at all possible. You might want to go for a neon colored JEM. Heck 2 JEM777DY's ended for right around $700 a piece on EBAY just a couple weeks back. A JEM777SK (pink one) ended for only $665 (way to score Aqquake!) on 07-04-03. The prices on the neon colored JEM's has definitely been dropping lately.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 03:46 AM
Ibanez endorsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
Probably a dumb question, but is the RB just a PBK with different cosmetics? Are they the same in terms of sound and feel?
That I can answer definitely (as far as my ears tell me and if memory serves correctly). I thought the PBK sounded just a touch "darker" and the RB sounded just a bit "brighter". Basically felt the exact same though aside from the difference in the thickness of the neck (RB was a regular JEM neck and the PBK was the ultra thin wizard neck).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 03:49 AM

Hmmm. I'd love a PBK but in the meantime I'd settle for an RB
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

I live in a msall town so I don't see a lot of Jems. I would probably just buy one from ebay or from one of the members here.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Whoa, so Rich the necks on those guitars you listed have thinner necks than the DBK and 2kDNA??
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 07:22 PM
Vendor

From memory, the last RB I sold had the thinnest neck I've ever felt on any Ibanez.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 01:58 AM
Ibanez endorsed

Could have been a "weird day at the factory!" lol Yeah the only 2 JEM's to sport the "ultra thin wizard necks" were the JEM777VDY and the JEM7PBK. I am not sure why but..... you can DEFINITELY feel the difference!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 12:29 PM
Vendor

Sorry, I was having a brain spaz day, I meant PBK
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Ibanez endorsed

lol Well THAT makes all the difference in the world! I have had those kinda days though. What sucks is when they turn into weeks! lol

Tags
fret board , guitar shop , jem neck , maple fret , maple fret board , maple fretboard , thin wizard neck , thin wizard necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode