Rusting pickguard screws on my 6 mth old UV. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Rusting pickguard screws on my 6 mth old UV.

I have this annoying problem with my pickguard screws. No matter how hard I wipe them after playing, they still start to rust. This has caused me to change the screws 3 times since I got the guitar. Is there any way to stop this rusting. It's really an eyesore. I also have a problem with microphonic pickups on the UV. Is this a common problem on the UV777BK??? Thanks for any comments.

Ryan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 01:35 PM

Mine get a little ugly after awhile but I don't notice them as being all that bad. Perhaps you may want to try some different screws; stainless teel comes immediately to mind but I don't know materials all that well to say it'd be the ticket. I'd suggest hitting Home Depot and seeing what they have and what sort of projects they typicaly use the screws for.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 01:38 PM

Why not take out one of your pickguard screws and head down to the hardware store and find matching stainless steel ones?

With regard to your microphonic pickups, contact DiMarzio... they should be able to help you out by either replacing or re-potting your pickups in wax. I believe they do this for free. (or at least a minimal charge for S/H)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 01:43 PM

Hi Ryan.

I think this should probably be in the Tech section, but when I had a problem with (I suspect) humidity rusting guitar parts in some of my collection, I applied a very thin layer of oil to the affected parts. Doing this just once protected them for many months at a time, which is handy because I'm kind of lazy. In my case it was the hex bolts that hold the string blocks in place on a few Edge-equipped guitars, as well as the Top Lock bolts, but I see no reason why this wouldn't work on your screws.

I used regular old 3-in-1 oil, though it may be called something else in Singapore. And a *really* thin layer, no big globs of oil. Good luck.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 01:52 PM
EKG

These are good ideas. Stainless steel and/or a touch of oil. You may be picking up noise in the pups from another source: electrical, lighting, cd players, computers, etc
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 02:28 PM

Re: Rusting pickguard screws on my 6 mth old UV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegarden
I also have a problem with microphonic pickups on the UV. Is this a common problem on the UV777BK??? Thanks for any comments.

Ryan.
Crank your amp and yell into your pickups and listen if you can hear your voice through the amp. If you have a problem with your pickups squealing, then they may be microphonic. If there is an environmental buzz which changes tone when you move the guitar around, then it's interference from something as Eddie mentioned. Turn off all electronic devices in the room (or on the otherside of the wall) and see if it goes away. If so, then turn on each device one at a time until the buzz returns. You might want to check your cords and cables too. If you have a poorly shielded power cable running over a music or speaker cable, that might be the root cause. Start with the basics - Guitar to amp... remove all the FX if you are using them... add one at a time. Buying high quality shielded cables is a good investment.

Gabe
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 05:43 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegarden
I have this annoying problem with my pickguard screws. No matter how hard I wipe them after playing, they still start to rust. This has caused me to change the screws 3 times since I got the guitar. Is there any way to stop this rusting. It's really an eyesore. I also have a problem with microphonic pickups on the UV. Is this a common problem on the UV777BK??? Thanks for any comments.

Ryan.
Move to a dryer climate

Microphnic pickups act one way, with strings muted they feedback. If this isn't exactly what you're experiencing then you have a grounding or other apliance/electrical problem.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 01:29 PM

Crank your amp and yell into your pickups and listen if you can hear your voice through the amp.
Gabe[/quote]

Heh heh. Paul Gilbert did this really cool Ibanez (accompanied with a Laney amp) clinic at my school while I was in college in 1995. He was telling us about a NAMM show where several of the endorsee's were present playing the same song simultaneously and trading solos. To stand out he screamed notes into his pickups and cranked the amp. He demonstrated this for us and I still think it was cool.

Mike 777 Haug
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I just replaced the screws woth another set of regular screws coz I have a performance coming up. I'll get those stainless ones ASAP. As for the microphonic problem, I dun like the idea of unsoldering the pickups and sending them back to Dimarzio. I fear that when I resolder them back, a lot more problems will arise. Anyway thanks again for all your advice.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 06:50 AM

I've screamed at my guitar a couple times, but not for sound effects... lucky I ain't thrown any out the effin window!
Well I get frustrated!

Tags
equipped guitar , paul gilbert , pickguard screws , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode