Satriani Series History - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Satriani Series History

At the request of our good friend rich Im wanting to start a post about the history of the Satriani series, and what Ibanez guitars he actually uses. Since this isnt exactly my huckleberry, im gonna leave it to you satriani fans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:46 PM
Vendor

I had I really meant it I would have started the thread. Remember that smell, it was "sarcasm", I just got tired of not knowing my ****! [mental note, never argue with Glen about any of Stevies guitars] BUT,

Since this thread IS started I'd be more than happy if it turned into a gathering spot for information. I'm talking verifiable info, like interview magazine quotes etc. It's time to start building the JSsite and get it out of my head and onto the screen. I know alot of the history but I'm sure many of you [Jono] remember tidbits that were published to add in timeline, specifics, curios quotes, etc. etc. So fire away
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 04:02 PM

Well, i think the big question to start with is the relationship between the JS series and the R series- i've heard it rumored that the JS is a VERY slightly slimmed down version of the R series. Anyone know this for a fact?

Additionally, did Satch ever say why he didn't go to the all acess neck joint? The upper access is quite good on the thing, but i'd think it'd have made it slightly better...

-Drew
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 04:56 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
i'd have to read all the old print mags to get a good base for this... but here is a start.

1987 - As a part of it's company overhaul and rebirth, Ibanez signs critically acclaimed guitarist Joe Satriani for product endorsement and "close collaberations". Satch is featured in Ibanez 540 radius/power ads and subsequent print catalogs. Ibanez guitars grace the covers and/or liner notes of his albums.

1990 - the JS Signature model Ibanez guitar is released. This follows the successful JEM debut, as well as the release of the experimental VM-1 (Vinny Moore signature model) in 1989 that is quickly discontinued.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 05:14 PM
Vendor

Blackdog was the first "true" JS. It was completed sometime in late 87'-88'. There are quite significant differences between a production JS and a Radius. Many would call them slight differences but they really are a bit more. It has been scalled down in all dimensions, the lower cutaway extended, and the radiusing of the entire upper body is completely different with the beveling starting much further in than on a R. I don't know how much different Blackdog was as the differences really have to be compared inhand, but, the original drawing for Blackdog was drawn over an R outline and shows all the scale down that was subsequently used in the JS series itself.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 11:23 AM

Rich, you're disturbingly good. Thanks, dude. Always wondered what the deal was there.

-Drew
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 11:30 AM

one thing that I have noticed about the black dog as well, is that the tone and volume knobs are much closer together than on the other JS series models, well, thats what it looks like on the FIABD cover anyway...

KeV
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 02:33 PM
Vendor

Yup, very close together. Blackdog and has a Korean Roadstar neck on it. Those were the only necks Ibanez was making at the time that had the straight non scarfed headstock. JD was worried about that but JS seemed to like it just fine
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 03:56 AM

talkin about the Ibanez VM-1 Vinnie is selling one of his on his site follow the link
http://www.vinniemoore.com/s.html
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Blackdog was the first "true" JS. It was completed sometime in late 87'-88'. There are quite significant differences between a production JS and a Radius. Many would call them slight differences but they really are a bit more. It has been scalled down in all dimensions, the lower cutaway extended, and the radiusing of the entire upper body is completely different with the beveling starting much further in than on a R. I don't know how much different Blackdog was as the differences really have to be compared inhand, but, the original drawing for Blackdog was drawn over an R outline and shows all the scale down that was subsequently used in the JS series itself.
I'd love to see this pic. There is more than one radius shape (the lower cutaway and the beveling are 2 of the differences, in fact), and I'd like to know which one these mods were done to. I don't have the guitars for comparison now, but I remember that one of the radiuses I had (88 solid jewel blue) was closer to the the JS100 I had than it was to another radius (87 burst).
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 10:22 AM
Vendor

I had an 88' blueburst and still have a 91'BK, never notice any differences, but honestly, I never compared side by side.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 10:34 AM

Biggest difference is the cutaway - my 88 was deeper than the 87 by over 1/4". IIRC, the JS100 was no deeper than this, and my 91 burst was the same as the 87 burst. So, I dunno - it's all confoozing. I DO know that they weren't all exactly the same.

...you wouldn't have a copy of that design pic, would ya??? ;-)
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:37 AM

I've never fully understood Joe's preference for the non-tilted headstock. Then again, those guys have all kinds of weird quirks with their gear, like their obsessive preference for Neve preamps in the studio, or Eric Johnson's preference for certain battery brands over others, and having effects physically located in particular places on stage.

I've often wondered how much is based in fact, and how much is anecdotal/superstition/psychosomatic.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:41 AM
Vendor

Worked for Leo Fender for, oh, about 50 years now
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:43 AM
EKG

Doesn't Joe like the tone or sustain or vibration or something about the non-tilted headstock?

Tags
eric johnson , guitar mag , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , jimi hendrix , joe satriani , leo fender , les paul , locking nut , moore signature model , neck joint , steve vai , string tension , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode