Saving an 88 Floral from being parted out - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Saving an 88 Floral from being parted out

I ran into a guy that was going to part out his 88 Floral on the bay. So, I looked it over and noticed the following bad things: The original pink PAF Pros had been replaced by black Seymour Duncans, the pots were scratchy, the pickguard was chalky, the rear trem cover and rear input jack cover were missing, the body had a few small nicks in it, the body had 2 small screw holes that were there for unknown reasons (they didn't line up for anything that was stock on the guitar), the neckplate was worn, it had the common crack in the neck pocket, the fretboard was dry, and it needed new strings. I noticed the following good: The neck felt great, the frets were good, the fretboard wasn't cracking, the hardware was in good shape, the headstock was in excellent shape, the body was still glossy, the body didn't have any big dings, the neck pocket crack wasn't as bad as many I have seen and was only on the bass side, the knobs and switch tip were in good shape, and the guy wanted $425 for it. So, I bought a set of new pink Evolutions for about $222 shipped. I bought the pots, selector switch, and wiring out of a RG550 from the bay for $20 shipped. I ordered a new pickguard and set of 3 rear covers from Pickguard Paradise for $133 shipped. I have taken the guitar apart and touched up and buffed the body and oiled the fretboard. When the new parts come in I will assemble the guitar and set it up and have about $800 in what will be a "great player". If I don't like it, I think I will be able to get all of my money back selling it on the bay. I guess having a little project and saving a Jem is what will mean the most to me though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 04:59 PM

Re: Saving an 88 Floral from being parted out

Great save! I think you made out great. I wish I could find a deal like that. Seems like the only problems were easily remedied cosmetic ones.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:14 PM

Pics!!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 06:01 PM

Sweet!!! PICS!!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I'll have some pics for you in a week-10 days when its done. I forgot to mention that it came with a beautiful pink lined Ibanez Jem case. I don't know if it is orginal but its in excellent condition. The outside has no tears and the stiching on the side is all still there. The inside looks brand new. The only flaw is that at some point someone lost the combo and unscrewed and removed the upper lock latch. I'm going to go through the combo sequence over the next few weeks when I'm watching TV and eventually I'll get it. I already have a spare upper latch to put on it when I figure it out. Based on what I've seen on the bay, the case should be worth a good chunk of what I paid for the guitar.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 PM

That case should be the original. You lucky son of a gun!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:14 PM

sweet recovery!
remember to post pics when it's done.
Congratz!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Well, thanks and I'd like to think for $800 I can't go wrong. However, it will still only be a player and not a showpiece. There is a total of 12 chips and the 2 unneeded screw holes throughout the guitar. They are all about the size of a pen tip. Although only 1 chip (located behind the lions claw) and the 2 screw holes are on the front of the body. Most of the chips are on the edges of the body. I touched them up w/ black touch up paint so they don't stick out. From a few feet away the guitar looks great. I try to look at it as character and that the guitar has seen many nights in a club or bar over the last 19 years rather than have been a bedroom dream piece. Hopefully it will be the great player I'm expecting it to be and I won't have to be so worried about dinging it up when I'm playing out like I do the guitars I bought new.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:07 PM

Reviews: 25

I want to find a Jem !!!!

Tags
ibanez jem , neck pocket crack , paf pro , paf pros , pickguard paradise , seymour duncan , seymour duncans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to make a JEM floral
jem floral reissue?
jem floral reissue?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode