scalloped fretboard - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Pee

scalloped fretboard

wich jem has a scalloped fretboard? and do you like it? only fret 21-24 are scalloped tough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
It's actually most of the JEMs that have the scalloped top frets. Things like the JEM10 the JEM90 and the ones with the screw head inlays don't have the scallops, nor do the 555 series.

all this info is available here

Personally I think it's useful when I'm using it and would have it on a guitar I had custom made for me, but I don't miss it that much on guitars that don't have it
jono is online  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 12:07 PM

Reviews: 1
I really don't notice the diffirence, scalloped or not. But I'm not much at that positions anyway, so with or without, it's all the same to me
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 12:58 PM

its more of a help when you are using the old style neck joint. With the all access neck its not that big of a deal now. Is it possible to do a vine inlay on a neck thats been completely scalloped? Anyone with a jem neck thats scalloped all the way up and down??
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 01:23 PM

I'd say it's possible bot probably a major nuissance.

the scalloped frets on 21-24 are great since it's easier to manipulate your fingers in that area to get good clean notes. When you press down, the string tension in that area is high enough betwwen the frets that it's extremely difficult to press the string down far enough toward the fretboard to make the note go sharp. This is great since this is an issue with heavier-handed folks playing necks that are mostly scalloped.

Mike 777 Haug
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Is it possible to do a vine inlay on a neck thats been completely scalloped?
Yes, it's possible. There are really 2 ways going about this. If the neck has already been scalloped prior to inlay, then as Mike said you'd have a rough time using real abalone or MOP. Due to the fact about 50% of the fingerboard thickness is gone, you must be very careful about routing through the back of the fingerboard. We're only talking about a 2mm route or less for the inlay, which would have to contour to the already scalloped fingerboard. I couldn't imagine such a task being done.

The other option would be a semi-flexable sheet of Micralone shell which is only .005" thick. This could be applied much easier but 1 of 2 things would need to happen:

1. The fingerboard would need a clearcoat over it.
2. The fingerboard would be routed about .010" or more deep to supply the inlay and allow an adhesive and top coat of epoxy to set.

The easiest way would be to inlay the fingerboard FIRST, then scallop away. Shell comes in different thicknesses so the thicker would be used on such a neck. The thicker shell is also about 25% more expensive.

Gabe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 12:52 PM

I remember seeing one of the members of judas preist with a custom esp. The neck was a maple 24 fret with ebony fretboard, completely scalloped with pretty big arrow inlays. It looked good actually and the ebony really shined showing off the scallop really well. Id imagine they started with a really thick fretboard did the inlay, and scalloped with the inlay in. From the looks of the polishing and buffing on it it almost had to be
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Id imagine they started with a really thick fretboard did the inlay, and scalloped with the inlay in.
It's not necessary to have an excessively thick fretboard for inlay work geared towards scalloping. If it was plastic inlays it can be as thick as can be. Shell only comes in certain thickness due to the nature and contour of the shells. Most fingerboards are about 6mm in thickness - pre radius sanding. General inlay material is no thicker than 1.5-2.0mm thick. If the guy making the neck knew the fingerboard would be scalloped, he'd take this to thought and buy the proper materials so scalloping wouldn't be a problem and scallop accordingly.

Gabe

Tags
ebony fretboard , jem neck , neck joint , scalloped fretboard , scalloped frets , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode