Scammed on Jemsite - Got my money Back!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Talking Scammed on Jemsite - Got my money Back!!!

Hi Jemsite friends

As some of you will know I was scammed in this thread:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f31/sw...eap-89656.html

I lost $400 to him

Well I was not going to accept this so I set about putting a claim in to Paypal, and began investigating the guy who scammed me.

I will not say who he is as I don't think it's right to do that, but I did find out A LOT about him and knew that I could track him down and get my money if Paypal wouldn't do it for me.

Finding this thread only further proved I had been scammed:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f29/fr...tml#post933856

Well, long story short, Paypal kept telling me they wouldn't refund me because the guy had no funds in his account - I kept complaining about this and eventually they managed to grab $400 from his account and wired it back to me!!!

I'm super happy with this outcome - it is the right and just thing.

I learned to be extra careful when buying online:

- always verify the seller/buyer first - get as much info on him as possible - address, phone number - pictures of him holding the goods - postal tracking number - etc.

Try to use a credit card for paypal payments as this gives you more protection I think.

Anyway I just wanted to give a big thank you to all the guys here who helped with questions I sent, and the mods here for being supportive.

This mess was all mine and the seller's faults - not jemsite - you rock!

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:56 AM

Reviews: 4
Thumbs down Re: Scammed on Jemsite - Got my money Back!!!

I am sorry that happened to ya bro. I actually considered buying that combo myself. Don't let it get you down on online buying, most people aren't pieces of sh*t like this guy.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Banned

Re: Scammed on Jemsite - Got my money Back!!!

ahhhhh champion matty.great you got your coin back,awsome
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

Glad to hear a happy ending.

Although 99% of our Jemsite family are GREAT folks, there are always a few out there who have bad intentions. Usually they are 'new-comers' who have not been here long.

We do our best to keep this to a minimum - and the mods here really work all the time on this site to keep things in line, but we can't protect everyone against scammers.

Just do your groundwork, be thorough and don't let a few losers ruin things for you.
This is a great site with great people - let's keep it that way.

~j
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Scammed on Jemsite - Got my money Back!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
This is a great site with great people - let's keep it that way.

~j

Hell yeah!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:48 PM

Glad to see there was a happy ending!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Reviews: 18

Mods need to work on new rules for selling items here. I believe that if someone wants to sell items, they should at least fork out a yearly membership for said privilege or have a minimum of 1000 posts. It's a d1ck rule but, that would fend off any a$$h0les trying to rip people off in here.

Jimmy
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

you'd be happier if we had "membership fee" so now buyers feel more secure then a f'n scumbag criminal (who paid the membership) lists 3-4 guitars and rips off 3-4 people simultaneously? maybe for larger amounts?

there are no rules mandating common sense in the world my friend... glen
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
you'd be happier if we had "membership fee" so now buyers feel more secure then a f'n scumbag criminal (who paid the membership) lists 3-4 guitars and rips off 3-4 people simultaneously? maybe for larger amounts?

there are no rules mandating common sense in the world my friend... glen
Actually, I would. Especially if you charged them 100 bones a year to sell stuff. If one was serious enough to sell their stuff here, then it wouldn't present a problem now, would it?

btw, notice I called it a d1ck rule, so there really isn't common sense associated with it

Jimmy
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

I don't think there is anything that jemsite could do to stop things like this happening - the reason I got ripped off was I failed to verify the seller as per the guidlines given here.

The best protection is the community spirit here on jemsite - asking around for references to certain people, itrader ratings etc, not charging for membership.

It will always be risky buying from people who are 'new' to the site - this is why we have to do a little research on the seller first - simple really, but easily overlooked.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 01:54 AM

Just from the first thread you mentioned, I noticed you said this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyG View Post
Not that banning him would achieve much - I doubt he'll come back on here with that username.
You'd be suprised what some scammers would do... this example is well known on Jemsite:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f29/le...ght=legacy+one

(obviously you won't have time to read that whole thread, but if you look at the final 5-6 pages you get the idea)

Either way, this P~Rock guy can't get back on with his username anymore now can he? lol

Just an ending thought... what if P~Rock was Chris' father? :O
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 02:34 AM

i hope/think that scammers can meet the wrong guy once.....and i hope they do!
and i support the reaction of the victim even when it is totally overdone and is not
in proportion with what is done to him.im glad you got some money back.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 02:09 AM

Reviews: 14

Glad to hear the happy ending and you guy got your money back.

I am happy to pay membership fee. I paid the same in our local website (in Thailand.) In this website we have to send copy of our ID and/or Passport + work or school email to verify (no free mail accepted.) to the web master and then he would add special icon behind my name to show that I am verified and I am real. I just pay annual fee to help him manage this. I think if we had this system buyers will be more safe with transaction.

I would suggest one more thing about international transaction. Why any local MODs let sellers ship goods to you and buyers send payment to you first. You are well-know and trustable. Once payments come and goods come ... you just reship to buyers and forward the payment to seller. I have no problem if they will charge for the fees for their time, but just set the rules. This is the safest way to buyers + sellers. I'd better pay extra to the MODs not to PAYPAL which never helped us!!!!!!!!!!

Please comment.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:08 AM

I'm very glad to hear PayPal snagged the money from him and that you got your money back.

F'ing scumbag, smash your f'ng face in you damn loser!!!!!!! Pisses me off. So many criminals in the world. They should be used for chumming on Shark Week!!!! Seriously.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:39 AM

I'm glad you got your money back, mate. Many people try to abuse long established forums' typical sense of fellowship and pull scams like this, based on trust. Unfortunately, most disputes end up in horrible, horrible fashion for the guy that got scammed, mainly because a seller claims not to have a paypal account and asks for a transfer, or due to immediate retrieval of the deposited funds.

As far as I'm concerned, it isn't hard to reassure people regarding your intentions, and a trivial phone call seems to be quite useful on these matters. I mostly buy online, but when selling, I always make sure to send appropriate photos, especially those that may easily link the product to myself, as someone already stated (such as taking the pics near guitars you may have seen me with, or holding the thing myself). Let's hope this sort of douch doesn' come around here to often (especially since I'm trying to get a RG7 I saw here from the UK! ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Mods need to work on new rules for selling items here. I believe that if someone wants to sell items, they should at least fork out a yearly membership for said privilege or have a minimum of 1000 posts. It's a d1ck rule but, that would fend off any a$$h0les trying to rip people off in here.

Jimmy
And how would a post count relate to one being trustworthy? Back in the really old days, when dragons roamed the earth and we were on our quest to release Middle Earth from the evil grasp of Sauron, there was someone at Guitar.com that claimed to be a music teacher in Texas, and an acquaintance of Mr. Eric Johnson. Said person was there for months on end, posting tracks, encouraging and counseling younger players - all in a day's work for a good community member, right? Turns out the songs actually weren't his, and this guy wasn't even from Texas, let alone a college teacher.

As far as the contributor part is concerned, I'm absolutely fine with that, but I really think it's a double edged sword, and paying $20 to rip off $1000 still seems to be quite a nice profit in the end.

Bottom line, IMO, is that there is NO way whatsoever to prevent frauds other than proper communication between seller and buyer. I don't mind taking risks, for as long as I have good control as to what is the chance of things going seriously wrong, and the base for that very same "risk margin" is determined by communication.

Last edited by Fred the Shred; 08-07-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode